Rent In Bangkok Per Month

RueFang

I have hot water but don't use it. Prefer cold it's better for the body.

Isn't there quite a few people here that are teaching. If so i wouldnt think they are spending much more over 10k per month and a pad.

And I guess that's my point. What is the attraction of moving to a third world country to live in a one room apartment, living hand to mouth waiting for the next pay packet.

I just don't get it. I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point. How old are these singleroom dwellers? I'm 43 for the record.

As for living like a lord, well two points. No, I didnt live like a lord all my life. On the contrary.. . I'm a council house boy from way back.

And second point - I barely live like a lord now. I live in a two bedroom condo in a nice building. Hardly like a lord; more like a normal westerner would live either here or back home.

And that, of course, is just my point.

And of course some expats would look at your current accommodation and wonder why a 43 year old man would move to a third world country to live in a tiny 2 bedroom condo.

I guess financial status is a factor too isn't it? But of course you knew that already. :o

Interesting point. How old are these singleroom dwellers? I'm 43 for the record.

As for living like a lord, well two points. No, I didnt live like a lord all my life. On the contrary.. . I'm a council house boy from way back.

And second point - I barely live like a lord now. I live in a two bedroom condo in a nice building. Hardly like a lord; more like a normal westerner would live either here or back home.

And how much is this comfortable 2 bedroom condo with hot water, if I may ask? You sound very mature for your age Bendix :o !

Here's a thought to those who so proudly live in 30 sqm meter one room apartments with no hot water etc - did you live like that back in the old country?

I find it rather strange that anyone would willingly come to a third world country and opt to live in third world conditions. Surely one of the major advantages of being here is that we can have the same or much better standards of living for considerably less outlay?

Or am I missing the point here?

I lived in a $1,200 a month shoe box when I was working in Southern California. I'm MUCH better off here. It all depends where you came from.

And how much is this comfortable 2 bedroom condo with hot water, if I may ask? You sound very mature for your age Bendix :o !

I'm happy to share that information. I pay 55,000 a month. It's hardly a king's ransom and considerably cheaper than the equivalent place would cost in any other major city I've lived in around the world.

Oh thank you for that Mr. Bendix! I was beginning to think I was the only one shoveling baht down the rent-hole.

I pay 40,000 per month for a huge 136 sq. mtrs. place with grand city views. I used to pay 9,000 per month in my former place.

I moved because I wanted to live more comfortably and mostly because I wanted a place that was quiet. I got both things. And it is worth every single baht.

And that, of course, is just my point.[/quote

If you was a council house boy from way back then you will appreciate people are living by there means...bear in mind that your 55k per month rent is probably as much as some people are getting in there wages each month and as i said before why should people have to pay x amount for there rent when they are just as comfortable living in a room with a balconony..

Just for the record, i would very much doubt that a westerner back home would class living in a 2 bedroom condo as 'the norm', thats the type of thing you do in your 30's, you would have thought that by the time you get into your 40's you would have moved onto bigger and better things, i mean it must be cramp in their with the family!!

I'm happy to share that information. I pay 55,000 a month. It's hardly a king's ransom and considerably cheaper than the equivalent place would cost in any other major city I've lived in around the world.

:o

How many minutes does it take you to walk to Nana?

Here we go again...OP question was if there was any lower price condos in Bangkok and the experience eventual of it. All replied in a decent way, then our amighty Beadickx. just had to tell that he thinks it strange and that he lives in a more expensive condo. Everyone is in diffrent stages of life. Everyone have diffrent finances.

We all have diffrent reasons for choosing a "less expensive" living. For me, I rather live in a condo for 30.000k and have 150.000k for spending on fun stuff than vice verca.

At the moment I pay 45.000k for my 1 bedroom, but I did not say so because it wasn´t in OPs intrest.

Here we go again...OP question was if there was any lower price condos in Bangkok and the experience eventual of it. All replied in a decent way, then our amighty Beadickx. just had to tell that he thinks it strange and that he lives in a more expensive condo. Everyone is in diffrent stages of life. Everyone have diffrent finances.

We all have diffrent reasons for choosing a "less expensive" living. For me, I rather live in a condo for 30.000k and have 150.000k for spending on fun stuff than vice verca.

At the moment I pay 45.000k for my 1 bedroom, but I did not say so because it wasn´t in OPs intrest.

Here here ill second that

I hope this isn't turning into an "I'm better then you because my condo is more swish then yours" thread. Even though I will potentially be earning a good salary, I have no intention to throw away such a huge portion of my pay check on a one bedroom apartment. I would rather save the money to build my future house without going into debt and live in a very livable 5000baht or thereabouts place that is still clean, has hot water and perhaps a balcony to boot! I understand spending a lot on a place if you're there all the time but if you are working full time, that's a lot of empty hours draining away.

Here's a thought to those who so proudly live in 30 sqm meter one room apartments with no hot water etc - did you live like that back in the old country?

I hardly think its 3rd world conditions living in a 30 sqm room with a big balcony, something that would cost you well over 1500 back in London, its a tad different living here than it is back in the Uk, for one thing you would hopefully think that you've finally come out of your own ass, clearly something you haven't learnt yet!!

With respect, living in a 30 sqm room with no hot water is as close to being on skid row as you can get. No hot water? How on earth do you shower?

The world industrialised 230 years ago. As a result, many nations became relatively rich and their citizens got to enjoy the benefits of living in multi-room homes with hot and cold running water, plumbing, sanitation etc.

I'm assuming you once lived in a home with hot water, so I'll repeat my question. Why does it feel so good to be going backwards?

Noone is going to convince me that living in a room barely bigger than a prison cell with no hot water is a sign that a person's life is heading in the right direction .. . .

Agreed with most of the things you mentioned here.

I used to live in a 4 huge bedroom mansion very close to beach, with hot and cold water running all the time.

However, moving to Thailand, I had to stay in a small room of 40 sq.m, but still with hot water. However, living in Thailand makes me to think that I am going insane (living in a very small room).

Anyway, planning to leave Thailand soon. :o

So in a nutshell..

All of us that live in a room for 5k or less are very happy and...

all those who pay sh1t loads like to brag about it and are not happy and think everybody who is western should live in the best houses in Bangkok regardless of what they can afford..

To the OP..bck on topic..regardless of what the snot's say there are loads of good clean room's/studio's for 5 or less, just pick an area which you like then go have a look and just ask at places.. you will find one....

If you can find a place with a nice big balacony that will be a blessing...

You've got it wrong. Frankly, I think I pay too much for living expenses and would rather live out of the city and pay less. Rent paid is nothing to do with my point.

What I'm wondering is why people choose to live in one-room apartments with cold water when they can obviously afford more and when surely the idea of moving to a relatively third world country is to improve your material conditions, not make them worse.

I can only guess that a comfortable living environment is not as high on many people's list of priorities as it is on mine.

Each to their own.

There is also 1 small point you are missing in all this is that people who work over here don't get paid the same as they do in UK or USA or wherever so therefore the extra money saved from living in a more than adequate 30sqm room is more money to do other things with..

Err...who told you that?! Nearly every teacher (real teacher teaching at an international school) I know is on better money when bonuses included and def better conditions than they would get back home.

Not to mention all the expats on better cash and bonuses from a foreign posting.

There is also 1 small point you are missing in all this is that people who work over here don't get paid the same as they do in UK or USA or wherever so therefore the extra money saved from living in a more than adequate 30sqm room is more money to do other things with..

Err...who told you that?! Nearly every teacher (real teacher teaching at an international school) I know is on better money when bonuses included and def better conditions than they would get back home.

Not to mention all the expats on better cash and bonuses from a foreign posting.

:o:D:D Please stop making me laugh my sides are going to split...

Lets take capital city for capital city ie..london and bangkok, the average teaching wage in london is 24,600, are you trying to tell me that nearly every teacher you know is on nearly 140,000 baht before tax...if you are then ill have to tell my mate that and he will be a tad upset with his 30,000...

As far as expats go yes there are people on a good touch, but they have more than likely been posted over here from there own country and obviously gettin home wages plus re numeration plus other tit bits..but you will be hard pushed to find an middle managment expat who has found his own job while here on good money....

And if you can then maybe you can me PM me these agency's or recuritment's that are offering these presents

I find it rather strange that anyone would willingly come to a third world country and opt to live in third world conditions. Surely one of the major advantages of being here is that we can have the same or much better standards of living for considerably less outlay?

Or am I missing the point here?

I spent 40 years living in nice large houses in the USA; I certainly didnt come to Bangkok to live in a slum in a crappy location.

haha.... you think your mate is really a qualified teacher? In the UK he wouldnt even get a job!

Nah he aint a qualified teacher......but there again how many 'qualified teachers' out of the teachers working here are there???A TEFL or something doesnt make you qualified teacher like old MR Woods from back home

I spent 40 years living in nice large houses in the USA; I certainly didnt come to Bangkok to live in a slum in a crappy location.

I should hope you aint with a name like 'The professor' but has anybody said that a: these are slums and b: they are in a crappy location....

Why the fk do people keep insinuating that they have to be cr_p holes just cause they are 5k or under....

Infact if people cant just anwser the OP's orignal then why post at all....

I DONT CARE HOW BIG YOUR HOUSE OR CONDO OR WHATEVER IS< I ONLY CARE ABOUT MINE AND MY ROOM IS FINE THANK YOU

:o:D:D Please stop making me laugh my sides are going to split...

Lets take capital city for capital city ie..london and bangkok, the average teaching wage in london is 24,600, are you trying to tell me that nearly every teacher you know is on nearly 140,000 baht before tax...if you are then ill have to tell my mate that and he will be a tad upset with his 30,000...

As far as expats go yes there are people on a good touch, but they have more than likely been posted over here from there own country and obviously gettin home wages plus re numeration plus other tit bits..but you will be hard pushed to find an middle managment expat who has found his own job while here on good money....

And if you can then maybe you can me PM me these agency's or recuritment's that are offering these presents

30,000 means he is not a qualified teacher.

He is probably teaching some poor kids English.

International schools pay way more than that.

I see the point Bendix is making.

Why would someone be happy paying 5k to live in a tiny room if they could afford more. If they cannot afford more , then why are they living here?

I can understand someone coming on a 2 week cheapo holiday, but how can they be happy staying long time in a tiny room. I also cannot fathom that one out :D

haha.... you think your mate is really a qualified teacher? In the UK he wouldnt even get a job!

Nah he aint a qualified teacher......but there again how many 'qualified teachers' out of the teachers working here are there???A TEFL or something doesnt make you qualified teacher like old MR Woods from back home

If he isnt a qualified teacher, then he shouldnt be teaching in my opinion, but thats for another debate

If he isnt a qualified teacher, then he shouldnt be teaching in my opinion, but thats for another debate

That would rule out half the Thai staff in government schools too!!

I understand your sentiments, but government schools and lower cost teaching centres simply cannot afford to pay the wages a fully qualified teacher commands. So they have to settle with second best: Native speaking TEFL teachers. If you would rule out underqualified teachers from working here (as is the case) you would be denying the majority of Thai school children the opportunity of "real" English language learning. (no, I am not a teacher!)

Anyway, back on topic, I think that there are some reasonable and cheap condos around the Prakanong/Ramkamhang area. I believe they are around 6k and have quite a few farangs. (friend lives there).

30,000 means he is not a qualified teacher.

He is probably teaching some poor kids English.

International schools pay way more than that.

I see the point Bendix is making.

Why would someone be happy paying 5k to live in a tiny room if they could afford more. If they cannot afford more , then why are they living here?

I can understand someone coming on a 2 week cheapo holiday, but how can they be happy staying long time in a tiny room. I also cannot fathom that one out :D

No clearly he isn't a qualified teacher i never said he was....infact like i also said none of them are teachers paying 80k or whatever it is for a tefl doesnt make you a qualified teacher..i doubt very much if 5% of the 'english teachers' are infact qualified teachers

Why does everybody twist this room thing...why does everybody think they are small,slums and in a crap area...

Has it ever entered anybodys head that they are happy to live in a room and dont need room after room after room...maybe while all you deadbeats are walking round your many roomed houses the people who have just one room are having a free mini break around asia on the money that they have saved...

As long as the accomodation has what that person wants and needs does it matter if its 1, 5 or 10 rooms and whether its 5,10 or 50k... :o:D