Immigration Want Birth Cert. Confirm By Thai Court

My girlfriend just gave birth to our beautiful baby :o

After the birth, we went to a Goverment office where I signed a white document confirming that i'm the father, then we was given a Yellow (more official looking) document that I also signed and keep.

We contact Immigration - and they say I must have this document confirmed/approved by Thai Court, before they consider change my visa, based on "child with a Thai citizen". Not married ! (can not marry at this time - not ask)

Question :

Have anyone unmarried done this before ?

Is a Lawyer/ Barrister at Law, needed ?

How much did you pay a Lawyer to represent you in Court ?

Court Fee ?

Can this be easily done in a Court office, or is a Court Case date needed ?

Are you on the birth certificate as the father ? I am and I had no need to do anything other than give my information to the hospital and collect the birth certificate later (I think the wife got it from the amphur but could be the hospital ?).

Yes, i am named on the irth certificate as the father.

IMMIGRATION told us, we need go to Thai Court to get this "confirmed".

The Birth certificate we already have, that's not the problem.

Problem is that Immigration office will not axcept only this doc.

Any other people who know ?????

My girlfriend just gave birth to a beautiful baby :o

We later got a Yellow Birth certificate where I am named as the father.

We call Immigration and was told, we need this document "confirmed" by Thai Court !

So, what we do now ?

Any done this previous?

Mark : we are not married ( and can not marry at this time-not ask)

Do we need a Lawyer ? Barrister at Law.

Lawyer fee ?

Court case ?or just drop in at the court office and get the Birth certificate "confirmed/stamped" ?

Was told, after the Thai Court confirm I am the father - I can apply and get visa extension 60 days at the Immigration office. Multiple.

My girlfriend just gave birth to a beautiful baby :o

We later got a Yellow Birth certificate where I am named as the father.

We call Immigration and was told, we need this document "confirmed" by Thai Court !

So, what we do now ?

Any done this previous?

Mark : we are not married ( and can not marry at this time-not ask)

Do we need a Lawyer ? Barrister at Law.

Lawyer fee ?

Court case ?or just drop in at the court office and get the Birth certificate "confirmed/stamped" ?

Was told, after the Thai Court confirm I am the father - I can apply and get visa extension 60 days at the Immigration office. Multiple.

Don't know about the court, but the 60 day extension of stay is a one time thing.

Edited by jstumbo

Congratulations on the new baby. :o

What type of visa do you want to get? How much time do you plan to spend in Thailand?

With your child's birth certificate naming you as the father, you can get further documentation from your own embassy which will then allow you to get a 1 year non-immigrant visa in your home country.

I've gone through the process with two children, am not legally married, and have never heard anything about needing confirmation from a Thai court.

Congratulations on the new baby. :o

What type of visa do you want to get? How much time do you plan to spend in Thailand?

With your child's birth certificate naming you as the father, you can get further documentation from your own embassy which will then allow you to get a 1 year non-immigrant visa in your home country.

I've gone through the process with two children, am not legally married, and have never heard anything about needing confirmation from a Thai court.

I wish a NON O visa - I stay Thailand 7 yrs already, and hope to stay many more yrs.

My home country only issue NON Imm to people age 50 yrs +. I am 46.

You write: "you can get further documentation from your own embassy which will then allow you to get a 1 year non imm visa in my home country" - can you please explain further ? What kind of doc can my embassy issue to make the Thai Embassy in my home country change the very strict rule "must be 50 years or older to get a non immigrant visa, if not married". ?

Jomtien Immigration demanded that the birth certificate where I am named as father, get confirmed/legalized by the Thai Court (Lawyer fee, legal fee, etc etc).

just another headache in LOS

Hi Jan46

Congratulations!

My situation is similar to yours. I had to go to court (Nakhon Sawan) to appear in front of a magistrate for a certificate of legitimization eight years ago. My eldest daughter was then three years old. I paid a lawyer B10,000. I recall Sunbelt writing a year or so ago that they charge around B7,000 for this. Contact Sunbelt. The process is easy.

I have been here for fourteen years…eight of them for “support of Thai child”. Since I am forty-eight, I too face the same problem as you for the next couple of years.

I intend to do three 30-day visa-exempt entries from June then return to Scotland and request a multi-entry ‘O’ (for visiting family), which shall cover my stay here for a further fifteen months (with the usual 3-monthly border trips), by which time I can apply under the “over 50 with Thai child” rule.

Rgds

Khonwan

Are you on the birth certificate as the father ? I am and I had no need to do anything other than give my information to the hospital and collect the birth certificate later (I think the wife got it from the amphur but could be the hospital ?).

Yes, i am named on the irth certificate as the father.

IMMIGRATION told us, we need go to Thai Court to get this "confirmed".

The Birth certificate we already have, that's not the problem.

Problem is that Immigration office will not axcept only this doc.

Any other people who know ?????

Key here I think is 'wife'.....remember he is unmarried.

This is interesting as a post here.... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162626 states that you can no longer get this visa if not married, yet another post in same thread says you can if prior to a date in 2006.

You just went to immigration and they said you can 'IF' you get recognised as the childs father officialy in court.

The answer to your specific question is yes I have done this and had my child recognised in a thai court as mine. It cost me around 50k with lawyer. The problem is that the court date takes a while to get, then the paperwork around a month after that from memory. So all up you could be looking at several months if this avenue is still viable for you.

My fear is that if as mentioned before, you are not eligible for this visa, the officer telling you this may not know jack about it and you run off, spend the money, get the court documents and then go back to immigration and they say 'no sorry that visa is not allowed anymore etc etc'