Speaking Warm Up

Lithobid

As a begining speaker, I have found that at the end of my Thai lessons, I am pronouncing most words much better than at the begining. I attribute this to the fact that I'm a new learner, and it's hard for me to switch from English vowels to Thai easily. I'm sure it will get easyier as I learn more, but in the mean time, has anyone found a good morning warm up, that I can do before I get to the office. Perhaps to make my pronounciation a little sharper???

Thanks for the help!

Lithobid

As a begining speaker, I have found that at the end of my Thai lessons, I am pronouncing most words much better than at the begining. I attribute this to the fact that I'm a new learner, and it's hard for me to switch from English vowels to Thai easily. I'm sure it will get easyier as I learn more, but in the mean time, has anyone found a good morning warm up, that I can do before I get to the office. Perhaps to make my pronounciation a little sharper???

Thanks for the help!

Lithobid

I find listening works to a certain extent. Maybe make a habit of watching the morning news in Thai? Even though you won't understand much, at least not to begin with, it will tune you in to the language melody and get your brain in gear.

Also, maybe learn to recite something, a poem or a song, by heart - preferably something you have recorded so you can connect the correct sounds to it.

Although it might be boring, you could also learn to recite a complete list of the Thai vowels, since that is where you appear to have problems. Get yourself a sound recording of all the Thai vowel sounds, listen to it over and over again and try to repeat. When you think it sounds ok, try out your pronunciation on a Thai and ask them to correct you.

Has anyone found a good morning warm up, that I can do before I get to the office. Perhaps to make my pronounciation a little sharper???

Thanks for the help!

Lithobid

I suggest the three volume series "หัดอ่านภาษาไทยแบบใหม่" by ไสว สุนทร. Each volume is 50 baht.

I always find that a few pints (of beer) loosens me up.

If you are going to learn to speak Thai you gotta learn to drink Thai. See avatar for recommended dosage. I have friends who, newly arrived in-country, claimed they were speaking Thai fluently after they had finished off their very first bottle.

Edited by Johpa