Lunch Break Quest

raro

ok...here we go: So far I had lunch either at Carrefour foodcourt or at Foodland's Took Lae Dee.

At Carrefour I cannot see that pizza anymore and the Thai food is not up to my expectations...it is quite terrible actually.

At Took Lae Dee it takes sometimes hours to get the food and it is not that fantastic either. Moreover, I am through their menu 10 times already and kind of bored of it.

Occasioinally we also go to the Somtam/Gai Yang place on 3rd road at the Carrefour exit. Not bad, but cannot eat that every day either.

Now who can recommend something in that vicinity where you can have a quick lunch at something around 50 to 100 Baht each with aircon and good food?

Thanks for all your input!

The set lunch at Fuji is outside your price range at about Bt150 I think (plus 10%) but you should be able to have a good feed with a water or similar for Bt200. Available till 3pm I think.

Their katsu curry is ok as well even if the pork is too dry. Their gyoza are very good surprisingly.

Edited by torrenova

thanks for all your suggestions!

Tried the Fuji in Carrefour today and it was better than I remembered it. Still a bit pricy but on the hot list for occasional stints.

California Grill: Tried it before and was less than impressed...

Thip Sandwich: impossible to park there...

McDonalds: no way.......

Villa Market: too far out of the way already...otherwise worth a try.

Carrefore is crap for food except the pizza.

Tops is pretty good and is reasonably priced as well.

You need to order from the place in Tops that doesn't use the tickets.

Maserium in Big C is okay as well depending on what you order and cheap too.

Royal Garden Plaza is overpriced and not really that good but if you go to the Japanese place there the lunch menu is about 200baht and very good.

All those places are air conditioned but if you want cheap and reasonable non air con the Kiss places in Second Road and near Dolphin roundabout are also pretty good along with my personal favourite the Sailors Restaurant in soi 8 which is that back of the bar near where the old immigration office was in soi 8.

Had lunch today at the steak house in Soi LK Metro.

The steaks were a bit too pricey but the pasta was ok at some 150 to 180 Baht. Good food, but again, over the target of 100 Baht and too far from the office for a quick lunch.

Will try Tops next week....I remember the Indian section to be quite good.

Keep the suggestions coming and I will send you the review after!

The Thai food in Carrefour is exactly the same as you'd buy from street hawkers only you pay a small premium for sitting in a more acceptable environment. What did you expect for 30 baht? It's authentic Thai food the same as you get in the food courts of Bangkok or anywhere else. Nothing wrong with it at all.

The Thai food in Carrefour is exactly the same as you'd buy from street hawkers only you pay a small premium for sitting in a more acceptable environment. What did you expect for 30 baht? It's authentic Thai food the same as you get in the food courts of Bangkok or anywhere else. Nothing wrong with it at all.

My Thai friends don't like Carrefore and they would much prefer to eat from the somtum cart or similar mobile food vendor.

• 2 weeks later...
Had lunch today at the steak house in Soi LK Metro.

The steaks were a bit too pricey but the pasta was ok at some 150 to 180 Baht. Good food, but again, over the target of 100 Baht and too far from the office for a quick lunch.

Will try Tops next week....I remember the Indian section to be quite good.

Keep the suggestions coming and I will send you the review after!

As I never go to Tops I didn't know thay had an Indian section, I'd be interested in your review.

As for lunch in the Foodland Carrefour area you seem to pretty much have covered all bases, I used to do Foodland a lot but as you rightly said it gets boring and the service can be pretty awful during busy times.

In Carrefour depending on your tastes but sometimes I would eat a Subway, some of their sandwiches are awful but the Subway melt is OK. As for the foodcourt and that Spicchio or whatever it's called, nah no thanks.

If I want a fast food fix then it's always KFC which I find OK, but I never bother with McD's or BK in Thailand. There is Thip Sandwich across the road but I have never had the inclination of even trying that place and I can't really say I've noticed any customers in there but then again haven't really looked that hard.

I have eaten at one of the Korean restaurants just by Foodland and it was good but I forget how much it was and of course you'd have to like Korean which is not to everyone's taste.

My Thai friends don't like Carrefore and they would much prefer to eat from the somtum cart or similar mobile food vendor.

Bingo! I also like Thai street food and have no objections to foodcourts either but the stuff they sell at Carrefour is just plain awful! If you compare this with the Carrefour in Bangkok at Rama 4....same food but the quality is worlds apart!

If I want a fast food fix then it's always KFC which I find OK, but I never bother with McD's or BK in Thailand. There is Thip Sandwich across the road but I have never had the inclination of even trying that place and I can't really say I've noticed any customers in there but then again haven't really looked that hard.

I have eaten at one of the Korean restaurants just by Foodland and it was good but I forget how much it was and of course you'd have to like Korean which is not to everyone's taste.

Been to KFC the other week for the first time in years and won't go again for another couple of years. They make MD look good...IMHO

The Korean guys are not open for lunch and it takes a bit too long for a lunch break

why would one want good food fast, I wonder?

maybe because you have to be back in the office within less than an hour? :o

Anyways...a TV member that does not want to be named is now exploring the town together with me for lunch break options.

We tried an Italian restaurant in Soi Buakao (what was the name again??) with great burgers at 90 Baht a pop. It is just past the market at the north end of Soi Buakhao coming from north. Recommendation!

• 1 year later...

please allow me to revive this old thread.

At the Carrefour foodcourt (haven't been there for ages..) is now an Indian booth. Far better than the one at Tops (not that this would be difficult...). Prices for most items are between 100 and 200 Baht but they have a set of a small bowl of curry (still big enough), one piece of Nan or rice and hot sauces at 50 baht only.

The huge ground floor restaurant at Big C. Sorry, I don't know the name of it but it is full of Thais, so that must indicate the stamp of approval.

The dishes are small but very cheap. Hungry farangs will probably need to order two dishes. The service is quick. I love the duck, with spring rolls as an extra.

Plenty of places to park in and around Big C.

The huge ground floor restaurant at Big C. Sorry, I don't know the name of it but it is full of Thais, so that must indicate the stamp of approval.

The dishes are small but very cheap. Hungry farangs will probably need to order two dishes. The service is quick. I love the duck, with spring rolls as an extra.

Plenty of places to park in and around Big C.

The one on Sukhumvit or the one in North Pattaya?

As for the one in Sukhumvit you probably refer to the foodcourt which is the noisiest in town in my books. Wasn't impressed by the food either.

As for the one in North Pattaya, the Deli France ain't too bad, especially those 10 Baht cake items they have for dessert.

The one on Sukhumvit or the one in North Pattaya?

As for the one in Sukhumvit you probably refer to the foodcourt which is the noisiest in town in my books. Wasn't impressed by the food either.

As for the one in North Pattaya, the Deli France ain't too bad, especially those 10 Baht cake items they have for dessert.

North Pattaya and it's not the Deli France. It has a Thai name.

The restaurant is located in the southern corner of the building, (opposite the front/main entrance to the mall) is staffed by dozens of very young Thais (probably kids getting work experience) and it serves Thai food only.

Edited by Mighty Mouse