Aviation In Thailand

T_Dog

I remember when farangs couldn't even have a cell phone here, so I guess I'm not surprised. Guess we're lucky to be allowed to drive,,,

BTW is your 701 registered U- or HS- ?

It's registered HS!

In that case who annuals it for you? I don't even know what's required for my trike! U-S20

PS check out this link; better viewed in their high quality mode...

Many places can annual a small plane such as the ch701. Thai Flying Club - Young Eagles can do it. Lek at Klang Dong airfield in Khao Yai comes highly recommended. Hua Hin, Pattaya and Chaing Mai, also can do it.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a guy in Pattaya giving lessons but the one person I talked to who took the course didn't rate it too well. Google "paramotor" and "Thailand" for contact details...

His name is George; he is a great guy! Luk Kreung...

By the way, I flew the Zenair back behind Kaeng Krachan National Park along the border in the mountains this morning. Beautiful flight!

There is a guy in Pattaya giving lessons but the one person I talked to who took the course didn't rate it too well. Google "paramotor" and "Thailand" for contact details...

By the way, I flew the Zenair back behind Kaeng Krachan National Park along the border in the mountains this morning. Beautiful flight!

Want make us jealous? No problem Sunrice 07, enjoy it as much as possible, I hope I can do the same in the future. Nice to remember D-day this way.

CNX has a lot of rain this year and I guess the local pilots are taking a few months off.

Or do they have to study to take the new Thai Aviation exam?

Want make us jealous? No problem Sunrice 07, enjoy it as much as possible, I hope I can do the same in the future. Nice to remember D-day this way.

CNX has a lot of rain this year and I guess the local pilots are taking a few months off.

If you are down this way PM me. If I'm going up, you're happy to come along!

My first plane was a 1937 Taylorcraft Reg. N19829 somewhere in Texas now. Wish on days like today I could fly a small plane similar to Taylorcraft or Cessna 120 from DMK over to UTP and back after some sun at Ban Chang.

Flying, I went from rear seat to front R /L seat and then to jump seat and now back to rear seat. :o Technology has removed me from flight at times too, now with remote and line of sight transmissions (OMNI). Miss being beat up by UH-1H and also flying around in Cessna 172s fitted with stabilized optronic payloads.

Always wanted to pickup an old DC 3 airframe and get it back to speed, but I guess that is a dream. If we don't have dreams, we don't have anything. In the meantime I will fly want comes my way also take rear seat too.

" When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Clear skies and Happy flying!

:D

Nothing but stratonimbus (or is that nimbostratus? - anyway lots of low clouds and rain) here in Pai for the last month so no flying. :o

Sunrise I'm thinking that 701 is the perfect plane for my strip up here since you popped my helicopter bubble. The trike is fun but not in any turbulence (which we have a lot of here) and 2 axis weight shift "control" makes for challenging Xwind landings. You mentioned that you bought yours new and factory assembled but when I look into it I see only kits...what's the deal with that? Also what do they cost if you don't mind my asking...

It's been a long time since I stepped out of a good airplane but I thought there was a club in Lopburi.

You might want to check out www.skydivethailand.com

Hi,

From what I understand, skydivethailand has been bought out and the new owners are in the process of getting all the liceince requirements sorted. I believe they are hoping to import and use a Porter, (hope it's a turbine). :o The suggested timeframe is that they are hoping to start the business of skydiving in September, near Pattaya, however, TIT.

If you are down this way PM me. If I'm going up, you're happy to come along!

Thank you for the offer, I let you know.

• 1 month later...
Finally got a break in the wx this am and took the trike up for a 40 min cruise around the valley at 500'. The mosaic of flooded rice paddies is incredible!

This time of year, I bet the view was incredible! Do you fly off your own field or do you use Pai International?

Finally got a break in the wx this am and took the trike up for a 40 min cruise around the valley at 500'. The mosaic of flooded rice paddies is incredible!

This time of year, I bet the view was incredible! Do you fly off your own field or do you use Pai International?

The air is clear but a bit turbulent even at sunup. It's my own strip. I uploaded a short hi Q video clip to youtube awhile back of a landing there and hope to get some more clips of the surrounding area soon...

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe a slight offtopic question but,

where can I get in contact with someone who does paramotor courses?

Not off-topic at all! What area of Thailand are you in? I know a fellow up here in Chiang Mai that regularly flies a paramotor up in the Mae Rim area. He might be able to connect you with an instructor.

The air is clear but a bit turbulent even at sunup. It's my own strip. I uploaded a short hi Q video clip to youtube awhile back of a landing there and hope to get some more clips of the surrounding area soon...

Cloudhopper

Well, not this one:  http://thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportpai.html

Where's your's?  Lat & Long or UTM?

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a post on aviation on a small scale: Radio Controlled Model Aircraft. The Maejo Radio Controled Aircraft Club and the Pro Wing RC Shop (Chiang Mai) held a demonstration for several hundred school children assembled at the sports field at Maejo University on 19 August. Over twenty beautiful electric and glo-powered airplanes as well as four or five helicopters. Pilots put on an impressive display of flying, aerobatics, hovering and dropping candy under parachutes for the kids. My favorite ship there was the C-160 twin of about 70 inch span. The Radio Controlled Model Aircraft hobby is alive and well in Thailand! I am slowly getting back into this hobby after a decade away, and wondering how many expats are active building and flying here.post-498-1219485352_thumb.jpgpost-498-1219485380_thumb.jpg

post-498-1219485422_thumb.jpg

post-498-1219485511_thumb.jpg

post-498-1219485860_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cloudhopper.... The RC Flying is a lot of fun here. Hope you can find the time to get back into it. If you need a link to a great

RC Shop here in Chiang Mai, PM me.

Also, here is a link I ran into on flying trikes that has some nice footage. The aero-trekking sport would be fun in Thailand if there

were more small fields to fly in and out of.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/video....asp?postID=432

• 1 month later...
I see that there are a number of sporting and special interest groups under Community Forums, but no "Aviation in Thailand" forum. It seems that there a lot of pilots, ex-pilots, aviation enthusiasts, and radio control modelers in Thailand that might be able to support a new forum like this. If so, please reply and maybe the moderators at the support desk will set one up for us if enough respond.

PP-ASEL - you may count me in.

Nudnik, welcome! But where the heck is the Federal Zone? Sounds like we need a UTM for that as well!

And Cloudbuster.... Nice videos! The Pai microport looks a tad narrow when compared to Pai International. Did you make it

to the Thai Visa party last Saturday? I looked for your nametag but never ran across it.

Can foreign registered aircraft be operated in Thailand? When I was in Singapore and Malaysia most of the flying club airplanes I saw were N registered. I'm about to begin working on a Soneria that I'd like to bring here (ferry if I'm up for an adventure) when I retire in a few years. I know the regs can change, but I'd like to know the rules now as a baseline.

It's been a long time since I stepped out of a good airplane but I thought there was a club in Lopburi.

Really? :o:D Gotta check that out. I owned two small Cessnas (in Michigan), a 150 and a 182. Many great times and memories until the 182 (672HR) was stolen (supposedly by drug-runners because it had long range tanks, and being IFR equipped with a great Loran didn't hurt either!).

I haven't flown in years but it would be terrific to go up again and see the LOS from above on a clear day (we used to have the term "severe clear" for unlimited visibility).

Edited by Lopburi99

Just ran across your aviation thread here so thought I'd check in and say 'hi' to all my fellow pilots on TV. I currently only spend about 3 months of every year in Thailand so have never paid much attention to the general aviation scene in LOS as I have heard that it is quite small. The only flying experience I have done in Thailand is flying the big birds into and out of the old Don Muang so probably do not have anything of any importance to contribute to this thread. Most of my time I now spend flying general aviation aircraft usually involves acrobatic flying. I will keep reading this nice thread as long as it keeps going since I am always interested in reading about what is new and happening with my fellow pilots in the general aviation world in LOS. :o

Just ran across your aviation thread here so thought I'd check in and say 'hi' to all my fellow pilots on TV. I currently only spend about 3 months of every year in Thailand so have never paid much attention to the general aviation scene in LOS as I have heard that it is quite small. The only flying experience I have done in Thailand is flying the big birds into and out of the old Don Muang so probably do not have anything of any importance to contribute to this thread. Most of my time I now spend flying general aviation aircraft usually involves acrobatic flying. I will keep reading this nice thread as long as it keeps going since I am always interested in reading about what is new and happening with my fellow pilots in the general aviation world in LOS. :o

Hello Jetjock. Glad to have you on board.

We pilots all have many great stories, how about sharing one of yours with us?

I have a quickie. On my first SOLO flight, I was unpleasantly surprised by both a brief rain, plus a number of hot air balloons (from a nearby club) slowly drifting across my landing pattern :D . About crapped my pants! Went straight home into the shower after the lesson ended!

Hello Jetjock. Glad to have you on board.

I have a quickie. On my first SOLO flight, I was unpleasantly surprised by both a brief rain, plus a number of hot air balloons (from a nearby club) slowly drifting across my landing pattern :D . About crapped my pants! Went straight home into the shower after the lesson ended!

Great solo story! Here's mine: Solo'd on a wintery December day in the mountains of Idaho and on my first climb out, the panel on the old C150 started shaking like crazy, with the intensity and frequency reducing pretty quick. I almost freaked, but kept flying. Decided to shoot the first touch and go after figuring out it sounded like the main gear winding down. Sure enough, tapped the brakes on the second climb-out and the vibration stopped right away. There was snow and ice in the wheel hubs, and my instructor had been tapping the brakes right after lift-off all day, and never told me. I needed a good shower after that day too! This not a problem you would ever see in Thailand.....

Great solo story! Here's mine: Solo'd on a wintery December day in the mountains of Idaho and on my first climb out, the panel on the old C150 started shaking like crazy, with the intensity and frequency reducing pretty quick. I almost freaked, but kept flying. Decided to shoot the first touch and go after figuring out it sounded like the main gear winding down. Sure enough, tapped the brakes on the second climb-out and the vibration stopped right away. There was snow and ice in the wheel hubs, and my instructor had been tapping the brakes right after lift-off all day, and never told me. I needed a good shower after that day too! This not a problem you would ever see in Thailand.....

I do not have any idea how many pilots here on TV but it would be great if we had enough keep the thread and the hangar talk going. It is always interesting hearing the story about a pilot's' first solo. They say that all pilots vividly remember their first solo but after 50 years have passed, I have to admit that I now remember very little about it. Flying was less sophisticated in those days so most of us only had about 8 hours when we soloed and were still very green. The only thing that I still recollect is that I was very scared before taking off and very happy that I was still alive after landing. I have found that the one thing about flying that has not changed in all those years is that flying still consists mostly of alot of routine punctuated with a few random moments of stark terror ! :o

post-13-1227037651_thumb.jpg

First went solo at RAF Leeming (ATC) in around 1965 in a Sed...also had air cadet Mk 3s...great days....

would have liked to have tried the earlier models...... :o ...great thread....I wanna a hang glider.....

post-13-1227037660_thumb.jpg