Warning To Those Who Use Nationwide

Point to note - this only applies to those using a Visa Debit card. If you have the Flex Account "cash card" then you are not affected.

Totster :D

Hi Totster - are you sure about this? I don't use the cards they send me - the new ones are still in England :D. I just use internet banking to transfer money around.

Do you know if I cancel my cards will I be able to avoid using this Card Reader gizmo?

I'll PM you too, in case you're not monitoring this topic any more :o .

De je vu JetsetBKK

My FlexAccount Cashcard(as Totster calls it) is a combined debit card&ATM card and the words 'DEBIT CARD' are printed on it in the bottom right corner(valid from date is 01/07 BTW). As for usage of this :- see parallel post above in General Section

Dave :D

As someone has pointed out there are two types of card for the flexaccount. One is a normal cash card for use with ATM's only, the other is a debit card (with chip and pin).

According to the website link at the start of the topic, the new security measures are for those with the debit cards (that have the chip and pin)

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/security/visa_debit_card_faqs/

More info here

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/rca/Introduction/why.htm

Totster :D

"Has anyone actually told Natiowde they live in Thailand, providing a Thai address? Interesting to know. On thir faqs page they say if you're living abroad you don't need to do anything, they'll be writing to you."

Interesting.....

I remember being told Nationwide had a charter that said UK residents only. You even had to have a"regular monthly income" although that never seemed enforced on me.

Is it definitely true one can register a Thai address?? .....and therefore is it now true one can register for untaxed interest??

ps: Once again congratulations to Natwide for always being efficient and very fair with rates, openness etc......a whole lot better than UBS!!

Edited by sleepyjohn

You can register a Thai address with Nationwide and they post mail to you but will not send card due to Thai post losing them.

They will send a card reader to Thailand by registered post though.

Cards will need to be sent to a UK mailing address and then posted to you via registered mail thats the only option.

I was advised by Nationwide that each time I go to UK, request a new card and collect at branch

I remember being told Nationwide had a charter that said UK residents only. You even had to have a"regular monthly income" although that never seemed enforced on me.

I actually told Nationwide that I was going to live abroad so "was it OK to get a Flexaccount for withdrawing cash?" The girl told me it was - but there was nothing in writing, just me talking to the girl on the 'phone. Maybe it was a case of "let's get rid of this wannabe ex-pat so I can get on with my proper work..." :D

You can register a Thai address with Nationwide and they post mail to you but will not send card due to Thai post losing them.

Cards will need to be sent to a UK mailing address and then posted to you via registered mail thats the only option.

Excellent info. I'll let you know how I get on with this.

I was advised by Nationwide that each time I go to UK, request a new card and collect at branch

That would work for me if their cards were valid for 6 or 7 years. :o

Anyone know if there is a Nationwide branch in Thailand? :D

Yes, I know the answer to that question.

Dave

There is a huge NATIONWIDE on phi phi don....the building society has at least 20 cashiers,,,very helpful :D

T'riffic! I'm on my way. :o

There is a huge NATIONWIDE on phi phi don....the building society has at least 20 cashiers

Really??

There's a Nationwide in Thailand?

I presume phi phi don is in BKK?

Correct, but you'll need to go on a little boat trip to get there. :o

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got my new card and card reader - my brother sent them to me, registered and in separate parcels. Of course, they both arrived together held together with an elastic band :o .

So I didn't get my Thailand address registered, although a message from one of the help people at Nationwide said I could.

Anyways, it all works fine.