Wireless Security.

NanLaew

This from another thread but I have seen the same Windows message myself.

"Hopefully nobody can get into my computer now that wireless is secured - though sometimes when I am closing down I get the message that other people are using. Please tell me not possible?"

shutting doqwn what the router or windows...

are you the only one using the computer and adsl..

if someone else is looged on to your pc aswell when shutting down windows it will say that..more info

A Shutting down the laptop using Windows gives the Windows prompt (sic) on the laptop as it's shutting down. It's a "Do you want to continue, Yes/No" level Windows prompt.

B The laptop in question is the ONLY computer in this residence, connected to this ADSL line via a secured wireless connection.

C There are no other users logged on as there are no other User profiles configured in Windows on this laptop.

So, why does Windows 'think' that there's someone else logged in?

Running full paid Norton AV, SpySweeper plus Windows Firewall. Nothing 'disabled' and weekly scans show nada nefarious within.

"Hopefully nobody can get into my computer now that wireless is secured - though sometimes when I am closing down I get the message that other people are using. Please tell me not possible?"

If your Router can also secure using MAC filtering - a very good security method.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireles.../macaddress.htm

If your Router can also secure using MAC filtering - a very good security method.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireles.../macaddress.htm

Sorry, but that's a horrible way to protect your network. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/?p=43

The best security is using best available encryption with a strong password - WPA2 if available or WPA as a second choice.

shutting doqwn what the router or windows...

are you the only one using the computer and adsl..

if someone else is looged on to your pc aswell when shutting down windows it will say that..more info

A Shutting down the laptop using Windows gives the Windows prompt (sic) on the laptop as it's shutting down. It's a "Do you want to continue, Yes/No" level Windows prompt.

B The laptop in question is the ONLY computer in this residence, connected to this ADSL line via a secured wireless connection.

C There are no other users logged on as there are no other User profiles configured in Windows on this laptop.

So, why does Windows 'think' that there's someone else logged in?

Running full paid Norton AV, SpySweeper plus Windows Firewall. Nothing 'disabled' and weekly scans show nada nefarious within.

Most likely this is due to an error in your windows install. Nothing terrible, just Windows screws up sometimes, in this case it thinks someone else is logged in. Could be a virus or spyware too.

One thing is clear: This has nothing to do with your DSL or your router, or your wireless security. The error is locally, on your laptop.

Here is what you can try, and what I would try, in order:

- Go to control panel, users, and see if there even is a user other than your own defined. If there is, make sure you have admin rights on your own account, then remove all other accounts. Restart. That might fix the problem.

- Make sure you are not sharing any files or folders, check your sharing preferences.

- Run a registry cleaner program - there are many free ones out there

- Run a new anti-spyware program, and a new AV program, some of the free ones. Ad-Aware and Avira, for example. It's unlikely, but possible that you have a virus / spyware which disabled your existing AV software. That's why I recommend downloading a new one, and starting it, the virus won't get a chance to disable it before it scans the drive and finds the offender. If you have paid-for Norton, it might have come with a startup CD that will do a clean scan as well, that would work too.

- Take it to a repair shop and see if they can help. If you know a good shop. A lot of shops are pretty clueless so beware.

- Re-install Windows as a last resort