Car Ownership In Thailand

MikeWill

I bought a car and wanted to register it on my name, as am holding a 1 year visa.

So, I went to the Immigration and asked for the proof-of-address document, as George stated at http://thaivisa.com/own_car_thailand.0.html.

Here is a surprise, the Immigration (Suan-Plu) staff first told me that they do not issueing such letters to individuals, even if they own a property (condo in my case) in Thailand. Later on, they told me that I need to register my address (on the 4th fl.) and such registrations should be cared-for every 90 days. So, I need to wait at least 90 days to get that proof-of-address letter.

They also advise me that such letter is easier to get from the Embassy.

George, you should probably update the above page.

I registered my car in my name on a 30 day entry stamp. I also got documents from Pattaya immigration with no problem.

But mine was second hand, maybe for a new car its different.

The differnce is probably in Bkk and Ptt Immigration. They didn't even bother to ask what car I bought and what property I own.

What letter/documents do they gave you? And what documents did they asked for, rather than a passport?

If there will be a problem with my Embassy, I probably should go to Pattaya.

I got my "Certificate of Residence" from my local Amphur Office. I answered this in a rather lengthy detail on another thread and I don't know how to get you directly there so: go to "Thai visas, residency and Work permits" and then the "Certificate of residence" thread.

Anyway, worked for me.

It seems there has been a change here.

Though I have not seen any official announcement.

The letter used to be very easy to get from Immigration.

Suan Plu has now imposed a rule that you must have been here at least 90 days, heaven knows why?

Do some people disappear in a puff of smoke before 90 days?

It should all be in the computer, as you registered your address on the TM card when you arrived!

Other offices like Pattaya have not yet caught up on that.

You can also get the address verification letter from your Embassy....No proof required, simply one of those 'you tell us what you want us to sign' affidavits....The one from the US embassy also doubles for getting your Thai DL

Some years ago, I succesfully used my UBC bill to verify my address when registering a bike in my name. Supposedly, UBC requires their equipment be located at the same address as on the billing, pretty much assuring your residence there...

I got my "Certificate of Residence" from my local Amphur Office.  I answered this in... the "Certificate of residence" thread.

Anyway, worked for me.

Yes Ken, I found your thread at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2488.

It seems that each Amphur office has its own rules - t.i.t. after all.

I saw that book alien's "Certificate of Residence" that looks the same as the Thai blue book of Home Registration, just in white color. I have heard that some offices require lots of paperwork (including the Birth Certificate, etc.) to issue the Certificate of Residence. Luckily, there are many such offices in Bangkok, so need to find which one is the easiest, since one can apply at any office, I assume.

BTW, just today I got the letter of address verification from my Embassy without problems, just gave them my passport w/1 year visa and home restration of my Thai wife and my daughter, where my name is stated as a father.

But in any case, it would be helpful to have an alien Certificate of Residence. Not sure, but maybe this book can be used as identification document and also, reduce the burden of 90 days reporting procedure.

1. Do holders of 1 year visa are really need to report every 90 days (or it's just a formality)?

2. Does Thai driving licence is really necessary in case of insurence claims, etc., or an international licence is sufficient? For Police checks an international licence is accepted without problems.

3. Any advise on the "GOOD" Amphur office in Bkk?

1. Do holders of 1 year visa are really need to report every 90 days (or it's just a formality)?

2. Does Thai driving licence is really necessary in case of insurence claims, etc., or an international licence is sufficient? For Police checks an international licence is accepted without problems.

1. Yes, that's the rule. Well, I cannot comment for myself as I am alway in and out (of the country, I mean) But saw in BKK-immigration office all these postings that people from mars (ALIENS) have to do it. So, told my wife to do it for her own sake and good sleep.

2. Strongly advice to have a Thai licence. Actually, no problem if you don't have one, until you are involved in a weird accident for which the insurance company is checking all details to avoid having to pay.

Of course, the police accepts your IDP, they think it is legal since you are a farang. (LOL)

3. Sorry, no idea.

I got my "Certificate of Residence" from my local Amphur Office.  I answered this in... the "Certificate of residence" thread.

Anyway, worked for me.

Yes Ken, I found your thread at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2488.

It seems that each Amphur office has its own rules - t.i.t. after all.

I saw that book alien's "Certificate of Residence" that looks the same as the Thai blue book of Home Registration, just in white color. I have heard that some offices require lots of paperwork (including the Birth Certificate, etc.) to issue the Certificate of Residence. Luckily, there are many such offices in Bangkok, so need to find which one is the easiest, since one can apply at any office, I assume.

BTW, just today I got the letter of address verification from my Embassy without problems, just gave them my passport w/1 year visa and home restration of my Thai wife and my daughter, where my name is stated as a father.

But in any case, it would be helpful to have an alien Certificate of Residence. Not sure, but maybe this book can be used as identification document and also, reduce the burden of 90 days reporting procedure.

Sorry. Guess I better clarify as the terms "Certificate of Residence" and "proof of residence" apparently are not the same and I in "my mind" they were. I only need a "proof of residence" to buy a car, apply for driver's license and that is what I am talking about and that is what I got a the local Amphur office. I'm sorry, I never hear of an actual "Certificate of Residence" and haven't needed one as yet.

And I had to go to MY local amphur office to get this "one piece of paper" that is all in Thai with the Amphur stamp and signature of the official. I could not do this at "any" amphur office it had to be the "amphur" where I live.

If Immigration is going to enforce this 90 day residence before you get a letter, it has severe implications for us all.

Before you own a car here it is a good idea to get a Thai Driving Licence, and that also needs a Proof of Address Letter.

The Embassies charge an Arm and a Leg for these letters.

If Immigration is going to enforce this 90 day residence before you get a letter, it has severe implications for us all.

Before you own a car here it is a good idea to get a Thai Driving Licence, and that also needs a Proof of Address Letter.

The Embassies charge an Arm and a Leg for these letters.

Astral is correct about the embassies charging an "arm and leg" for the "Proof of Address". The US embassy charges $30 for this letter and all they do is "notarize" a statement/form they give you, filled in by yourself with the pertinent data (ie your address in Thailand).

I live a long way from Bangkok and that's why it was easier for me to get the "Proof of Address" from my local Amphur Office. And cheaper to, only 20 Baht.