Bridge Players!

jimbim

ahhh, a single gal :-)

i'm terribly married, but hopefully not too boring. it's been so long since i've been out with the girls. years and years. and all we did then was eat and dance at a friends house. there just isn't that much going on around here compared to bangkok. [understatement] and i've been here going on ten years. this ole country girl is going to be wide eyed for awhile. sure, i visit bangkok several times a year, but we go out with business contacts, or i stay in the hotel room working all night. unless my buddy is around, then we have some fun. but it's still just drinking beer, having dinner, and getting lost in the countryside while singing at the top of our lungs. yeah, i'm pretty tame.

cat

unless my buddy is around, then we have some fun. but it's still just drinking beer, having dinner, and getting lost in the countryside while singing at the top of our lungs. yeah, i'm pretty tame.

cat

Hey, that sounds perfect!

Why do you think I said my success rate was, oooops, not high? :o

Because most of my nites out are pretty like the ones you want : having a beer, then dinner, then beer again and then i get home.... i usually work the following morning :D

sego :D

I'm game to learn bridge, but it seems like the sort of thing that women do well together, but couples don't. The only couples I know who play together do nothing but argue about cards, or at least tease each other without mercy. Course, I don't know what they are talking about :o

Maybe while you play cards I'll stay at home drinking the blue kamikazes even if I have no idea what an old-fashioned glass is, unless it's an old glass that's out of style. Got lots of those.

Sego.............I know your success rate!!! But I am not telling. :o

JimBim......you can play bridge too!!! Be a man (kidding) :D

Catat, let me modify your recipe..............

Blue Kamikaze recipe

5 oz Vodka

1 oz Blue Curacao

2 oz Lime Juice

Crushed Ice

Blend it all together and serve in a jug with shot glasses!!! YUMMY

Why do you think I said my success rate was, oooops, not high? :o

Because most of my nites out are pretty like the ones you want : having a beer, then dinner, then beer again and then i get home.... i usually work the following morning :D

sounds like you are a lot like me. i enjoy a clear head when i have to work. [for the most part] and although party party was fun in my twenties, it's not so much in my fourties. i'm a quiet kind of gal. give me a whisky and soda while watching the sun go down and the koi feeding and i 'm happy. nice nice

cat

it seems like the sort of thing that women do well together, but couples don't. The only couples I know who play together do nothing but argue about cards, or at least tease each other without mercy.

i've seen women as well as married couples go at it, in my opinion, it's all down to the person. i've jumped on the hubby before, and he me, but for the best part we are civil. a lot of husband and wife teams don't work because there is usually one who is only playing to have something to do, and the other is putting a lot of time into learning the skill it takes. so when one plays a ridiculous card, or ignores signals, or loses count when it's really important, and this happens over and over ... then yes, a war of words is on.

i took a break for awhile because i got fed up and needed to step back to regroup. i don't mind those who are learning, but it really ticks me off if someone plays a card without thinking, time after time. some players just chatter away about nothing in particular, and everyone's concentration is ruined [sometimes knowing where that 3 of clubs is on the last round is important]. then are surprised when we find they've played a card they shouldn't have, and the game gets messed up. who cares if we win by default, the fun is in knowing you played better than another team, or learning why you didn't by comparing how they bid a game and played it.

now i've had a long break from bridge, i can relax with social bridge and not get so fussed like before. no, it's not amusing when someone plays without thinking, but it's not as big a deal as before.

btw - i'm not saying i'm a 'hot' player. i have plenty to learn and that's why i need to concentrate. you cannot learn if you don't know where most of the cards are, etc. and that takes practice.

cat

Catat, let me modify your recipe..............

Blue Kamikaze recipe

5 oz Vodka

1 oz Blue Curacao

2 oz Lime Juice

Crushed Ice

Blend it all together and serve in a jug with shot glasses!!! YUMMY

sounds yummy, but can i make it with gin? i'm a 'gin gal'

you know, i often don't get email notices about this forum, but today i get one from jim and there are loads posted here.

[and having to wait is a blinking pain in the u know what!]

cat

Good point. This thread has three pages and I've gotten two email notices. But it's the only thread that I've ever gotten email notices from, I think, though I've started a few others. Have no idea why or why not...

I have difficulty concentrating on anything these days. If we meet, I'll tell you about it, but I might not be the funnest person to play bridge with. Ha, not sure cuz I've never played. (Anyone for a cribbage tournament? Fifteen two, fifteen four, and the rest don't score...)

Nine sleeps till she gets to Bangkok...

Nine sleeps till she gets to Bangkok...

jim,

that sounds so sweet. i hope the days and nights fly by for you :-)

<<I have difficulty concentrating on anything these days. If we meet, I'll tell you about it

i go through spells of insomnia, so i'm the same at times. it's heck to deal with. well, anything that messes with the concentration is a royal pain. i'm presently taking omega3 to combat the problem, but who knows what'll work. but i'm a good listener, so if we meet, feel free.

<<Anyone for a cribbage tournament?

never played it. i'm pretty hooked on bridge. i used to play spades and hearts at one time though.

<<This thread has three pages and I've gotten two email notices

well, i'm only getting your email notices. strange. glad i don't post a lot because i'd spend all my time trying to track them down. [so if anyone ever need me, you know who to ask :-]

cat

Hey, I got another notice. This is getting to be a habit.

Cribbage is a simple game, fun because anyone can play, anyone can win. Skill involved, but two people who play a lot, know how to play the advantages, it all comes down to cards.

Have no idea what omega3 is, sounds potent, but hope it works.

Darn, wish it was later, so I could get another sleep out of the way.

jim,

yup, another notice. i can post all i want around this forum, but yours is the only one that pings my yahoo.

<<Have no idea what omega3 is

omega3 is good for memory, and i need it. if you have trouble sleeping, the first thing that goes is your ability to remember. and i'm in the position of having to remember huge chunks of stuff so cannot take chances.

cribbage sounds like spades and hearts. a little skill, but luck is also involved. contract bridge is skill. you are only lucky if you have a decent partner. very 'unlucky' if you get paired with a bad one.

hope your days and nights fly by fast, and your wife gets there faster :-)

cat

If we are doing something to make these email notices go through, I have absolutely no idea what it is.

Omega 3 is interesting stuff. Looked it up on the net. Lately I've had some problems with memory, concentration, balance and a few other things (motorcycle accident). Maybe I should try it, though I already like many things that are high in it. How do you take it? In pills?

I'm pretty excited about her coming, now six sleeps. She is the love of my life, but we're not married. I keep asking and she keeps saying: "Now that you're down there on one knee, could you look for the lipstick that I dropped?" I've been trying for 30 years. You think I'd give up.... Naw, no way :o

Omega 3 is interesting stuff.

<<If we are doing something to make these email notices go through, I have absolutely no idea what it is.

this time, no email notice at all. very strange. i was just drifting through and was going to lurk for a bit before shutting off.

<<Omega 3 ... How do you take it? In pills?

pills yes. as well as oily fish. there are only two brands out here [pill]. herb valley, and another one that wasn't as strong. it's working, but slowly. but as i have a largish job on with a steep deadline, sometimes i cannot tell because of the pain killers, muscle relaxants, etc i have to take to keep the pace up. [sounds so sad, i know]

<< I've been trying for 30 years. You think I'd give up.... Naw, no way

that's amazing. looks like you [both] have what you want already, so why ruin it by getting married?

cat

Just a quickie, Cat. Have cleaning to do before she gets here!!

this time, no email notice at all. very strange.
Me neither. No notice. System seems a little wonky, maybe software or server can't cope with the size of this forum.
that's amazing. looks like you [both] have what you want already, so why ruin it by getting married?

Well, she's amazing. I'm just a hopeless romantic. I won't stop asking her. Who knows, sometime she might actually say yes! :o

<<Well, she's amazing. I'm just a hopeless romantic. I won't stop asking her. Who knows, sometime she might actually say yes!

wow. all those years. well, here's hoping she gets there soon! lol!

ps: nope, no more alerts. i guess it was just a short term fluke.

cat

hey, we gotta stop meeting like this - lol!

yes, i got an alert, but it asked for my password and i'm the lazy type and it took awhile to shake some time loose. what's the matter huh? like i keep it in my back pocket? computers are supposed to remember this sort of thing.

so, is she here yet?

ps: just found out i won't be moving to thailand until the end of january. so, now i have more time to learn precision properly. and no excuses for me. i've got the books. now just have to agree on the system.

there is nothing worse than a partner playing with a different system. i've done it and it wasn't pretty. i reluctantly agreed to play in one competition [ten hours long due to snafu's] where my partner rolled up and said "guess what? i just spent the weekend reading 'learn how to play bridge in two weeks'

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

cat

No alerts for me, though not sure I'd have had time to look, cuz she arrived on the 30th and I am a very happy little boy. (Good thing one of us is a grown up.) Now my sister is here and I have a tiny house in Klong Toey full of ladies. Such fun.

The subject of bridge really hasn't really been discussed, but she did once say that she had enough patience to teach even me how to play. I think she is going to start with honeymoon bridge, which apparently gives you the basics, but doesn't teach you how to play with a partner, and communicate through bids, which someone once told me is a key to bridge.

My sister told me that her husband once accepted an invitation to a bridge "party" without knowing how to play. He thought it would be easy and fun. Apparently, it was a disaster, and the hosts weren't at all happy. Kinda like attending a chess tournament without ever playing.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if I'm doing this right! But I'm the l"m the love of his life", and I'm finally responding to all the postings about a bridge group! I don't know how to contact the two of you who seem interested, so I hope this works. ( I may be able to play bridge, but am a little challenged when it comes to forums). Anyway, I'm here, and it's time to meet some women and make some friends! Are you still out there, any one interested in meeting to see if we can put a group of fun bridge players together? I'm living near Asok on Sukhumvit Rd, so pretty central location from what I can gather. Would love to hear from you!

Lyndy

:o