Shoulder And Neck Stiffness

padma

I have uncomforable stiffness in the neck and shoulders.

I'm relatively healthy though I haven't been very active since I've moved to BKK.

I've gone to several "thai masseusses" and the situation has gotten worse.

I know it's not an injury and I have been doing some stretches to relive it a little but I need someone to work on the muscles. Any recommendations?

Shiatsu perhaps?

Thanks

I would highly recommend seeing a medical doctor (and I hate to see them). At the least they can rule some things out and can probably find what is the problem and how to treat it. It may involve learning various exercise movements from physical therapy department of a hospital but may be well worth the time/money/effort. I don't believe stops on Ratchada are going to be of much long term help. :o

I really don't think I need to go see a doctor. I'm a healthy fit female and I haven't injured myself in the past 2 months. Besides the lack of regular healthy good meals and regular exercise nothing has really changed in my lifestyle. It most probably stress related as I'm getting adjusted to working and living in thailand.

I need someone to recommend a good healer...reiki, shiatsu, or sport masseuse.

Maybe even a day spa.

Thai massages are cheap but most of the masseuses aren't properly trained and aren't healers.

I really don't think I need to go see a doctor. I'm a healthy fit female and I haven't injured myself in the past 2 months. Besides the lack of regular healthy good meals and regular exercise nothing has really changed in my lifestyle. It most probably stress related as I'm getting adjusted to working and living in thailand.

I need someone to recommend a good healer...reiki, shiatsu, or sport masseuse.

Maybe even a day spa.

Thai massages are cheap but most of the masseuses aren't properly trained and aren't healers.

I still think you should rule out a real medical problem first (rotator culf and the like). I would be very leary of any healers anywhere and especially here where there is likely to be no standards.

• 2 weeks later...

drink more water. when I first came here, I couldn't get used to the heat. and experienced many physical ailments.

then, someone told me that cramps, muscle aches and pains, the such, occur more often if your body is craving for water.

so, I drank more water......

check out www.curezone.com. I don't know if the info is correct, but it is very interesting.

..I'm no doctor. so, you need to make your own judgment call as to whether you need to see one.

"haha" has hit the nail on the head.

Dehydration is the most common cause of muscular

aches and pains if injury is ruled out. Muscles are

some 80% water and depriving them of a plentiful

supply almost surely will result in discomfort.

Drink lots of water, 8-12 glasses a day for a week,

and I bet your problems will disappear. If you

exercise alot, drink more.

Let us know if you try it and it works !!

curezone.com ... great site!

thanks haha

I'm feeling better actually. I don't know what helped because I've been doing different things simitaneously such as stretching, water intake, exercise.

Still haven't found a good massuese.

I had a similar problem between first vertebra and right shoulder, my dr in Europe called it 'Arnold syndrome of the greater oxipital nerve' :o

In Bangkok General the neurologist prescribed; massage, ultrasound and heattherapy. They provide this in-house also to out-patients.

I think it s stress related , it came back but is manageable. Good Luck.

hi'

Also check your working/sleeping areas, is there a fan or aircon directed at your exposed neck/shoulders? A slight wiind might seem 'refreshing' for a while, but could easily be the source of your problem.

yes very right ... and this is the only source of the problem :o

I had the same, and my chinese doctor first asked me this ...

where do you seat and slep, where is the fan or the aircon ...?

she spoted this at first ...

I moved the fan that was in my back and applied some "boxing-oil" for a few days, and everything came back normal :D

also, if you stay in a cooled room, drink twice as much as usual ...

cheers

francois

Ok heres a trade secret for you. As most people know....Wat Po is a school for traditional Thai massage. Outside the actual temple grounds in a small soi opposite is one of the places where they allow outside people to come in for a massage. I found them great and go there once a month. tell them you have neck/shoulder problems

The other place worth trying is Divana spa in Soi Sukumvit 25........they do a head shoulder massage and also a 'deep tissue' massage which is whole body. Very painfull in places but after a day or so great.

There are loads of spas around Bangkok. Check websites for prices or walk in and check in person.

• 4 months later...
try dr. don nakoya at his chiropractic clinic just off soi 23 sukhumvit rd.

i have lost his phone number and details but they have been posted on this site before, try a search under backache or chiropractor or osteopath.

highly recommended.

Don's Center for Natural Health (Chiropractic)

120/28 Sukhumvit Soi 23

Tel: 02 258-0350