What Jobs Do Most Farangs Do In Thailand Other Than Retire, Run A Business, Or Teach English?

just curious and looking for some inspiration (not related to retiring, running a business, or teaching english :D ) and knowledge that could help me or friends looking to come over to thailand in the future. what can a farang do to make money in thailand?

Oil and Gas work outside of Thailand, then living the adventuring dream in Thailand :o

Or if you are very luckly or know someone who can pull the strings for you....Oil & Gas work in Thailand... :D .....I have managed to survive nearly 8 years here working the Thai offshore game...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... England for old money, USA for new money and Australia for no money :o

I've never understood this, a Oz UG is pretty much just as expensive/inexpensive as a UG in England or USA/Canada, same for PG. In our company we don't hire US graduates due to their fcked up attitude, and UK degree holders and Oz seems to be pretty much the same, do you mind elaborate a bit? Thanks.

What is a UG?

.... England for old money, USA for new money and Australia for no money :o

I've never understood this, a Oz UG is pretty much just as expensive/inexpensive as a UG in England or USA/Canada, same for PG. In our company we don't hire US graduates due to their fcked up attitude, and UK degree holders and Oz seems to be pretty much the same, do you mind elaborate a bit? Thanks.

What is a UG?

Under graduate...

Ok here goes the long shot :o .

I am a UK Qualified Electrical Installation Engineer (Electrician) with 14+ years exp (onshore)

I live in Thailand.

I have no offshore exp or quals.

I am willing to get retrained accordingly.

I am willing to start at the bottom.

What are my chances?

Where do I start?

cheers.

Edited by Sorridstroker

Internet Marketer.

to put up a bunch of websites to shuffle traffic to other websites and money arrives in the bank.

its all in the air.... and pays better than any other profession.

Unfortunately only 1 in 1000 succeed and you need to figure out the formula yourself.

Aussies cannot even be trusted to say fush and chups properly.

Mate, that's New Zealand.

Ha ha!!! I was just teaching my friend's two year old how to say fush the other day... he's Thai/American and is learning to speak Thai, American English, a bit of Karen and now Kiwi English!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
.... England for old money, USA for new money and Australia for no money :)
I agree with you but its what the Thai's say themselves not me! I first heard it years ago and never heard it for ages till last year from someone who hire's people. I do know they scrutinize the institution name more for the Aussie Masters but maybe its because they do not recognise the name?? I know they can be pretty snotty about which USA Uni someone went to as well - if its a no name then its looked down upon. Our Aussie staff are great and most have PHd's wheras in the resto fo the region for the same position its a UG or Msc - I seem to get the impression their PHd's are slightly different from say a UK one but never got to the bottom of that. I thought it strange that Aussie MBA's did not do a dissertation but recently found out many USA ones did not either? The lack of dissertation at the end put me off doing an Aussie MBA and chose to do the UK one with the modules plus extra dissertation/project. Just the taught modules in the UK would only get me a post-grad diploma and you need the dissertation for the Masters.

For Thai students, the disertation and IELTS mostly drove many to the US. Beside, the subject credit system in the US is more similar to that in Thai U. Those who went to the US were also influenced by peers pressure or by American media. I think, most all UK graduate has parents studied there or was determined by scholarship or having other personal reason.

I got MA from U. of Nottingham for I visited my sister at Imperial College and like the UK U. atmosphere. Both parents went to US U. though.

My starting salary in 1998 was 7,480 Bahts/month. :D Enough to buy a genuine brand name man wallet. :D It's government work :D

To answer an earlier question: you must maintain a presence outside the United States for at least 335 days. Note, that's 30x 24 hour periods you're allowed in the States....you can use that to your advantage!

And as mentioned earlier, you have to declare all earnings, and pay on greater than 84k USD, but there's all sorts of loopholes to not pay taxes.