Visa To China

Hello, my friend is coming here to Thailand next month to visit me and my family. I'm really looking fporward to seeing him as this will be the first time since I moved over here almost 3 years ago. My question is this; after staying in Thailand for a month my friend wants to visit China and plans to get the visa for China while in Thailand. He let me know in an earlier conversation that he had a misdemeanor warrant out for him in the US for drunk driving. I told him that I was pretty sure this would keep him from getting the visa but he's pretty stubborn. Can anybody be of assistance? Much appreciated.

James

Hello, my friend is coming here to Thailand next month to visit me and my family. I'm really looking fporward to seeing him as this will be the first time since I moved over here almost 3 years ago. My question is this; after staying in Thailand for a month my friend wants to visit China and plans to get the visa for China while in Thailand. He let me know in an earlier conversation that he had a misdemeanor warrant out for him in the US for drunk driving. I told him that I was pretty sure this would keep him from getting the visa but he's pretty stubborn. Can anybody be of assistance? Much appreciated.

James

No problem. They do not require a police report from your home country to get a tourist visa.

Bit of Info and an copy of Visa Appli Form.....from UK ...

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TOURIST VISAS

There are two types of tourist visa.

These are:

SINGLE ENTRY VISA and

DOUBLE ENTRY VISA

Entry to China must be made within 3 months from when the visa is granted. No matter which visa you obtain. The length of the visa will be determined by the Chinese Embassy based on your itinerary. Contact us for guidance.

Payment by CASH, CHEQUE, POSTAL ORDER and CREDIT CARD

1. Passport validity of at least 6 months

2. TWO totally blank pages in your passport (does not include the page reserved for "observations"). One page is for the visa, the other is for the stamp.

3. A recent passport photo.

4. Completed application forms. Click here to download the relevant application forms

http://www.chinesevisadirect.co.uk/chinaapp.pdf

China is not his big problem, re-entering the US is. Immigration will run a warrent check on him when he re-enters the US. So a lot will depend on where he re-enters the US and where that nasty warrent is from. He may just get a surprise extended vacation in the Grey Bar Hotel on his return to the US. Sorry to spoil your visit.

If he has a warrant outstanding I wonder if they will nab him when he checks in at the airport and attempts to leave the country.

there are no checks when leaving the United States. to the best of my knowledge it's the only country on this planet where you don't go through immigration when leaving (does not apply for travel within the European Union).

If he has a warrant outstanding I wonder if they will nab him when he checks in at the airport and attempts to leave the country.

there are no checks when leaving the United States. to the best of my knowledge it's the only country on this planet where you don't go through immigration when leaving (does not apply for travel within the European Union).

Well aware of that, but what you probably don't realize is the airline check in counter does that for you. Non-citizens return their entry cards there and everyones name is in a database that the USCIS has full access to. They know before you get on the plane who is leaving just like they know well before you land (actually before you take off) who is on the plane for arriviing flights. :o

TH

Edited by thaihome

I believe unless your on a terrorist watch list or a major felon leaving the States it is unlikely they will stop you. I had a little trouble leaving LAX in Sept. Got a citation and had to handle it from Thailand. My brother who's a SGT for LAPD said they pick up transit passengers all the time coming into LAX. He made the point clear that I needed to get an attorney to handle this matter or I would run the chance of a night or two in the LA Grey Bar Hotel on my return. Glad to report that all is well and the outcome though expensive came out in my favor.

So I guess the concensus is that he will probably not have a problem leaving the US. He will not have a problem entering Thailand. He will not have a problem getting a visa for China. He will not have a problem going to China. But, when he returns to the US, he may have a very real possibility of being detained on the outstanding warrant.

James

How long does he want to stay in China for?

ps- it is zero tolerance on drunk driving in China, at least in Beijing. 0.00% blood alcohol and pay cash to police and injured if you want your freedom.

Dont drink and drive but especially in China.

Why not just pay the warrant? I'm sure that he can set up a payment plan if he's short on funds, unless he's already done that.

:o

James

Why not just pay the warrant? I'm sure that he can set up a payment plan if he's short on funds, unless he's already done that.

:o

I would imagine because it is a warrant for his arrest rather than a fine given that he is trying to avoid it! Or maybe I have picked it up wrong but I am sure a warrant in the USA means the same thing as it does in UK - they want to arrest you.

I would agree with what has already been said, he certainly will be fine leaving the country as was my English mate who had a warrant issued in Arizona. Wasn't a light matter either - he was a foreign exchange student and ten years later has never set foot back in the USA!

But he needs to make sure he will be fine on his return - although mygoodness thats sounds efficient!