Is Tourist Season Up Or Down

ttthailand

I'm always a little bit surprised by the bar owners. Too many bars and not enough customers. When business is slow and customers are scarce, what do the bars do? They raise prices to make up for the lack of customers. That was always Thai style business and the farangs are following suit. :o

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see cover charges at the Go Go bars in the near future.

Now that Pattaya has become the new "Miami Beach" and "Beverly Hills" of Asia, why would any "legitimate" business person be concerned with such simplistic concepts like "high season"?

With literally thousands of new multi-million Baht condos and houses for sale, we all know that Pattaya's business infrastructure is thriving!

Surely all those property purchasers are overflowing with money to service all the restaurants, discos, Go-Go Bars and beer bars –not to mention Door-to-Door and pizza delivery outlets.

Some people who have lived here for a while get the wrong idea. From what they see walking around Pattaya and riding the noisy Harleys, they probably think Pattaya has "no class". They tend to view Pattaya as a place for "losers" who came here to finally become "winners". But they are wrong!

Pattaya is "Happening!" –

Property developers are happy. Cash (a lot!) is coming in – Dutch, Russian, Taiwanese, Korean, and Yakuza –

The local news channels and newspapers are happy – "Mediocrity"---but where else can you advertise?

And local internet sites are making money because everyone has an opinion. This translates into revenue for the internet site, so money is made.

High Season? Low Season? --- How can this be a viable concept in Pattaya – the New Miami Beach?

The typical Russian on vacation spend as much as other nationalities. There is a general diffrence from the typical western in Pattaya tough. They bring their wifes and kids. They use Pattaya as western tourists use Phuket. Most of the russian speakers that I see on the taxis also carry more then a few shopping bags when going back from Pattaya.

Read a tourist report from my home country a couple of years ago, and Ivan generally save up some money, and think its rude to be "cheap" when on holiday. Your "bread and butter" ivan wont go to Thailand. He will more likely go to one of the lake resorts in Russia.

Not only that they seem to always buy the fake Rolex watches from the beach rovers as well as the sunglasses. I am sure the local rovers appreciate that!

I'm always a little bit surprised by the bar owners. Too many bars and not enough customers. When business is slow and customers are scarce, what do the bars do? They raise prices to make up for the lack of customers. That was always Thai style business and the farangs are following suit. :o

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see cover charges at the Go Go bars in the near future.

You should get out more. Most bars advertise cheap drinks to get customers in. Most of the prominent gogo bars in Walking Street sell draft beer at 55 baht all night.

You should get out more. Most bars advertise cheap drinks to get customers in. Most of the prominent gogo bars in Walking Street sell draft beer at 55 baht all night.

I didn,t know that.

You obviously get out a lot to the bars.

But the size of the drink is not impressive.

A bottle has to be emptied into the glass, so the punter knows the size of drink he's getting. With draft it depends on the size of glass (thimble-like) and the head (heavy). So very little value-for-money, as with the lady drinks.

Just have to make sure of vfm later.

most russians go for 14 days.

most russians have 30-100$ day budget.

most russians go by tours not by themselves.

most russians have wife/girlfriend with them.

most russians not speak/read english (because of that they cannot read menu).

most russians hate thai food.

most russians prefer russian food.

most russians like to haggle too much.

most russians thinks that pattaya sooo cheap.

most russians like to spent their day on the beach and night in the open air restorant with alchogol drinks.

most russians are afraid to take beach girls because they can be ladyboys especialy if drunk.

most russians thinks that thai ladys are ugly.

most russians like to buy - jewelry, clothings, stingray leather goods and suvenirs.

I must named that post : 13 things that you must know about russian turists in pattaya

i

Edited by justbob

most russians go for 14 days.

most russians have 30-100$ day budget.

most russians go by tours not by themselves.

most russians have wife/girlfriend with them.

most russians not speak/read english (because of that they cannot read menu).

most russians hate thai food.

most russians prefer russian food.

most russians like to haggle too much.

most russians thinks that pattaya sooo cheap.

most russians like to spent their day on the beach and night in the open air restorant with alchogol drinks.

most russians are afraid to take beach girls because they can be ladyboys especialy if drunk.

most russians thinks that thai ladys are ugly.

most russians like to buy - jewelry, clothings, stingray leather goods and suvenirs.

I must named that post : 13 things that you must know about russian turists in pattaya

i

what the fuc_k is that all about??? Nothing I guess!

I didn,t know that.

You obviously get out a lot to the bars.

Bored today are we?

I hit the gogo's about once a month. How about you?

You wouldn't have to get out too much to know this though, because it's been going on for years.

You won't even have to enter a bar to know it either....they've got placards prominantly displayed in front of most bars.

Edited by tropo

20 years ago in Mallorca the lager lout ruled Palma Nova and Magalluf. I know, I was there and doing business.

They they thought they'd go after the families so a room which once housed 4 lads spending £500 a week each now housed a family of 4 spending about £700-1000 per week.

It does not take a PhD in Mathematics to see what happened.

As Humphrey says, tours are shit for local businesses, good for big business. Local businesses need cash inputs and whether you want them or not, you need large numbers of people spending relatively freely because if these businesses go bust, all you will have left are the overpriced malls and expensive top end places which will mean that all the expats will be the ones drinking outside 7/11 nevermind the bloody Ivans.

I am sure Pattaya will always be a destination for holidaymakers on the cheap end of the market. It is simply not as nice as other Thai resorts.

At the moment I guess the East European travel agencies are pushing Pattaya because they can get block bookings cheaply and dont have to compete with the West European travel companies whoprefer to operate in Phuket, Phi Phi etc.

If ever the spending power of the East Europeans increases such that they can pay the same as the West Europeans then they will surely choose Phuket instead. Again related to spending power there will come a time when the East European travel agencies will cut out Pattaya from their brochures for moral reasons.

After all if you are rich enough why on earth come to Pattaya compared to other Thai resorts (except of course for the Pattaya speciality nightlife)

If ever the spending power of the East Europeans increases such that they can pay the same as the West Europeans then they will surely choose Phuket instead. Again related to spending power there will come a time when the East European travel agencies will cut out Pattaya from their brochures for moral reasons.

After all if you are rich enough why on earth come to Pattaya compared to other Thai resorts (except of course for the Pattaya speciality nightlife)

Have you EVER lived in Pattaya or Phuket?

Have you EVER lived in Pattaya or Phuket?

What do you mean?

I have lived in both - ten years in Phuket, now more than seven in Pattaya - although I work overseas.

I consider that Melonf has very valid points, what are your arguments to the contrary?

Why would Eastern European agencies cut out Pattaya on " moral grounds " ? Its laughable

Well West European travel agents have cut out Pattaya...just try finding a Pattaya package holiday in a UK holiday brochure...

I guess major holiday companies would soon be accused of offering sex tours if they included Pattaya in their brochures.

And even people asking in a travel shop get knowing nods of disaproval from anyone within earshot...

Perhaps you have never wondered why there are few families from the West on holiday here...

Why would Eastern European agencies cut out Pattaya on " moral grounds " ? Its laughable

Well (West European) travel agents have cut out Pattaya...just try finding a Pattaya package holiday in a UK holiday brochure...

I guess major holiday companies would soon be accused of offering sex tours if they included Pattaya in their brochures.

And even people asking in a travel shop get knowing nods of disaproval from anyone within earshot...

Perhaps you have never wondered why there are few families from the West on holiday here...

No shortage of Pattaya packages in German, Belgian, Dutch and French travel brochures. As for families you just have to look around, plenty of them, maybe more in Phuket, Koh Samui percentage wise, but then that's probably because most of the party type travelers prefer Pattaya, and therefore outnumber the other tourists.

cheers

onzestan

onzestan

Well West European travel agents have cut out Pattaya...just try finding a Pattaya package holiday in a UK holiday brochure...

Quite ridiculous your statement. I think the image has changed quite drastically.

But it is still the big advantage that here is everything for everyone, and that is the great thing about Pattaya.

Rgds

Moo9

Quite ridiculous your statement. I think the image has changed quite drastically.

But it is still the big advantage that here is everything for everyone, and that is the great thing about Pattaya.

Families want decent beaches - does Pattaya have any? No!

Families want a decent transport system. Does Pattaya have one? No!

Families want to walk around without being pushed into the road. Can they do that in Pattaya? No!

Families want to walk around without being accosted by touts. Can they do that in Pattaya? No!

I could go on, and on, and on. Pattaya has nothing going for it that could lure families from a Black Sea or Mediterranean resort. It has a shorter season than they do, albeit at a different time of year, and poorer facilities with much less interest from the City Hall.

The up-market developments are, and will continue to be, in Phuket and similar. Thre Eastern Seabord will continue to develop as the industrial area and thus continue to retain a growth in foreign investment. But Pattaya will never be a high-class tourist resort.

Families want decent beaches - does Pattaya have any? No!

Families want a decent transport system. Does Pattaya have one? No!

Families want to walk around without being pushed into the road. Can they do that in Pattaya? No!

Families want to walk around without being accosted by touts. Can they do that in Pattaya? No!

I could go on, and on, and on. Pattaya has nothing going for it that could lure families from a Black Sea or Mediterranean resort. It has a shorter season than they do, albeit at a different time of year, and poorer facilities with much less interest from the City Hall.

The up-market developments are, and will continue to be, in Phuket and similar. Thre Eastern Seabord will continue to develop as the industrial area and thus continue to retain a growth in foreign investment. But Pattaya will never be a high-class tourist resort.

True best to leave it as the stinking cesspit that it is.....we like it that way

People vote with their feet and if families wanted what some people think they want, there would be more families over here in Hua Hin. Obviously, Pattaya is a very attractive resort town for families.

I have several friends living in and around Hua Hin. I like it.

The one problem is that whereas it takes 100 minutes by bus from the airport to Pattaya, it takes bloody hours to Hua Hin. When I retire I will probably move with my family to an area around Hua Hin.

But for two-week holidaymakers? And the agencies that send them to Pattaya? Too much hassle.