Some Car Questsion....

sunny747

Hello everybody,

i have some car question.....i'm getting an old car next week...perhaps i'll get the answer here as i have noticed very few of my questions has been answered here.....i guess this forum is for rich falangs who owns fortuner, vigo and so on..:o

anyway, here are what i need to know...

1. To get an old car, what sort of papers should i check?

2. According to this forum, i guess my car needs to mount the engine as it vibrates while starting. It takes about 5 seconds to start after i turn the key. How much does it usually cost to mount the engine? it's lancer 93. manual gear box.

3. What is engine tuning? obviously i'll have my engine checked before i get on the high way. Appr. cost for engine check?

4. i would like to increase the race of the engine. Does it affect the engine and fuel consumtion ?

5. This car equipped with pioneer audio set and speakers. Sound is great but i don't feel the base. Do i need to get an extra woofer ? how much does it cost? what is power ramp?

looking forward for the answers....

thanks so much,

Hi Sunny,

I think your not getting any answers because most farangs dont like to be called rich!

Anyway, some answers for you.

1) Check that the Tabien Rod is accompanying the car, and that the owners name in it is correct.

2) A new engine mounting should be around 2,000thb. (Thats what it cost us for a Honda City mounting which is a similar type of car)

3) Engine tuning is a method of making sure that the engine is running at its maximum efficiency. Different from an Engine check.

4) Increasing Engine performance will increase fuel consumption.

5) Checnge the settings on the equializer on the head unit before going out to buy new speakers.

1. If you need more advice than what moonfruit suggested then use the search function

2. All engines vibrate when starting. Find out why it takes 5 seconds to start

3. Find a decent garage and give it a service

4. See 3. Don't start changing it from standard

5. As moonfruit says. A power ramp lifts your vehicle off the ground to enable access to underneath. A power amp is something designed to irritate the eardrums of everyone you pass.

This forum is for people who need help or advice. There are many people here who will kindly help you without asking anything in return. There are people, like myself, who asks for help as well as gives it and there are people, like yourself, who will ask for help and other nothing in return. We are still happy to help, but start throwing in sarcastic comments as well and we may not

sunny747;

We have a saying in America about cars. "Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick two." Basically, if you want to make your car more sporty, you're going to have to either do it cheap and lose reliability, or do it reliabily and spend more money.

Depending upon your budget, unless you have a reliable mechanic or have a referral to a reliable mechanic, you may want to consider having the Lancer checked at TestCar (http://www.testcar.co.th/english.index.php). It's located in Bangkok, on Srinakarin Road. At >Bht3k for a full inspection, it's not cheap, but like a good mechanic may very likely save you a lot more Baht in the long run. Here's what its website says it inspects:

TestCar cover everything in the car from the ECU Check (car computer system) through the engine system including the HP (Engine power) of the car compared with the standard from the manufacturer. We also conduct full tests for all safety systems including the brakes and shock absorbers. We also conduct a chassis and body check. For this particular test we use the latest technology in the world that includes a Laser scanning system to measure the car frame in a precise way as the human eye can`t detect these sorts of defects. Last but not least we check the interior, the tyres condition and basically we look out for any evidence the car may have a problem.

I have not used TestCar's services myself.

thanks ong, i'll probably take my car there..well ofcourse after purchase.....i just need to see what to be fixed ......i want to make sure the car is safe to drive...

i'll share my experience here about test car.....

according to their website, they wouldn't recommend me which mechanic to go.........do you guys know any english speaking mechanic in Bangkok?

if they charge a little bit higher no problem, at least i can speak.

thanks so much guys..........

PS: if any guys are anywhere near ramkhamheang, avoid the place.