Condo Market In Jomtien Or Pattaya?

I am planning to arrive in Thailand around April and I am thinking about buying a condo in Jomtien or Pattaya for retirement. How is the condo market in Jomtien and Pattaya now? Is it a good time to buy? Should I wait? What type type of discounts can one expect off the asking prices?

Is there a lower cost/better value seaside/beach location to buy a condo in Thailand than Pattaya/Jomtien?

As somebody who actively participates in the condo market in Jomtien and Pattaya I can tell you it is always a good time to buy here. There are new buildings going up everywhere that are all being sold. The city is expanding nicely with new malls and shopping centers replacing the run down old buildings. There are going to be a few people who will post here that tell you to never buy a condo in Thailand, of course they have not and of course they have not experience the price appreciation that is available.

If the asking price is a realistic one, a price consistent with the other prices being asked in that building taking into consideration the floor the unit is on and the quality of the renovation then a discount of 5% to 10% could be expected, with 7% being the average.

As somebody who actively participates in the condo market in Jomtien and Pattaya I can tell you it is always a good time to buy here. There are new buildings going up everywhere that are all being sold. The city is expanding nicely with new malls and shopping centers replacing the run down old buildings. There are going to be a few people who will post here that tell you to never buy a condo in Thailand, of course they have not and of course they have not experience the price appreciation that is available.

If the asking price is a realistic one, a price consistent with the other prices being asked in that building taking into consideration the floor the unit is on and the quality of the renovation then a discount of 5% to 10% could be expected, with 7% being the average.

As someone who buys properties in distress you can't even think there is a condo that is not in need of renovation.

The city is not "expanding nicely" - it's rather chaoticaly, with infrastructure lagging far behind. Traffic jams are not short of Bangkok hel_l.

To OP: yes, there are places better than Pattaya if the sea is the primary thing you want.

This near Ban Phe (Rayong), the beach is 13km long:

http://www.logansthailand.com/mae-pim-beach.html

Solid 2-bedroom (120 sqm)units in high rises (with gym, pool, minimart) were 2.4-3.2 mil baht.

I inspected about a dozen of them, the pics are from various places but they are mostly similar in quality, size and views.

In first pic, the hill above the beach is where Rayong Resort is. The island behind is Koh Samet itself, about 4km from the standing point to Ban Phe ferry pier.

The last pic is price list from one of the places, to give you an idea what is being asked per sqm. It was about 500US$ psqm.

post-7277-1202695691_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695708_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695719_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695730_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695748_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695759_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695768_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202695778_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1202696149_thumb.jpg

I am planning to arrive in Thailand around April and I am thinking about buying a condo in Jomtien or Pattaya for retirement. How is the condo market in Jomtien and Pattaya now? Is it a good time to buy? Should I wait? What type type of discounts can one expect off the asking prices?

Is there a lower cost/better value seaside/beach location to buy a condo in Thailand than Pattaya/Jomtien?

Prices for new construction are absolutely insane. They seem to start at about 90,000 baht per square meter. That and I would NEVER recommend buying pre construction. I'm not a gambler but I WOULD bet that many of the new projects will never be completed.

That said, you can still find nice condos in good established developments for less than 40,000 baht per square meter. Even that is pretty high considering that five years ago those same units were selling for less than half that price. Don't be tempted to buy a shoe box sized unit. I wouldn't buy any unit less than 50 square meters that didn't have a separate bedroom.

To honestly answer you question, I would be VERY hesitant to buy right now if I didn't already have a condo. I'd have to find a unit I really liked at a price of not more than about 35,000 baht per square meter.

In my opinion there is too much new development coming on the market for current price level to be sustained.

I have been told the The Chateau Jomtien, which was launched last year as a 317 unit development by the same developer as Chateau Dale and Thabali has been scrapped because of disappointing sales.

• 2 weeks later...

Cigar, Think_to_mut has the right idea. The area from Ban Chang on down past Rayong has far better values, much nicer beaches and no obnoxious russians! There are also some great golf courses down there like Eastern star and Green valley-St. Andrews if you are a golfer. On the other hand if you are one of those who come to thailand to chase bargirls every night then you may want to stay closer to patters :o Currently you are far better off renting in either area for a while until the real estate market shakes out. Good luck!

I would agree with those who say there are good values to be had both north and south of Pattaya/Jomtien. These include Bang Sare, Satahip, Rayong, Sri Racha, and Bang Sare. However, you will be quite isolated there as to farang restaurants, foodstores, and company (if any of these are important to you). Most expatriates choose to live in Patters NOT because of the bargirls (these can be found in any Thai town) but all the other associated services/businesses that cater the expatriate community.

Cigar, Think_to_mut has the right idea. The area from Ban Chang on down past Rayong has far better values, much nicer beaches and no obnoxious russians! There are also some great golf courses down there like Eastern star and Green valley-St. Andrews if you are a golfer. On the other hand if you are one of those who come to thailand to chase bargirls every night then you may want to stay closer to patters :D Currently you are far better off renting in either area for a while until the real estate market shakes out. Good luck!

Certainly the prices down there are lower. The beaches however are so so, Golf is good, food shopping bad....to me, if I have the choice, I certainly would prefer Pattaya instead of Baan Chang or Rayong.

However I have to agree with you on the Russians ..... :o

I tend to agree with this post but it's not clear if the OP has been to Pattaya or JomTien for more than a short holiday. I would never recommend somebody buying unless he rents for several month's first before making such an important decision.

Absolutely correct to go for places that will be improved by the authority in addition to your personal preference. Chances of continuous constructions on infrastructure in Pataya and Jomtien are better than those places in far flung areas (Sri Racha excepted). Nearer to good and well equipped hospitals is another plus for Pataya and Jomtien. As a family man with kids, our only dislike of Pataya (still OK in Jomtien) is the sight of couples of bargirls/farangs and elderly man/young boy strolling along the beach and the royal garden mall. However, one still can mitigate the dislikes by avoiding these places at a certain time.

Pataya and especially Jomtien have a better chance of growth and higher capital gain than other areas in the Eastern shores. The coming revocation of 30% reserve is another spur for the rise irrespective of cries over the oversupply.

Cigar, Think_to_mut has the right idea. The area from Ban Chang on down past Rayong has far better values, much nicer beaches and no obnoxious russians! There are also some great golf courses down there like Eastern star and Green valley-St. Andrews if you are a golfer. On the other hand if you are one of those who come to thailand to chase bargirls every night then you may want to stay closer to patters :D Currently you are far better off renting in either area for a while until the real estate market shakes out. Good luck!

Certainly the prices down there are lower. The beaches however are so so, Golf is good, food shopping bad....to me, if I have the choice, I certainly would prefer Pattaya instead of Baan Chang or Rayong.

However I have to agree with you on the Russians ..... :D

Let me see if I get this correct, you think that the beaches down past Rayong are just so so and you prefer the beach at pattaya? :o Wow, the beach area in pattaya must have really improved in the past year because last year when I was there I thought it was filthy, unkempt and not much of a beach at all, while Jomtien beach is better, but it is still not nearly as nice as the beaches past Rayong and the islands off Rayong! My advise to Cigar is still the same, RENT wherever you decide to go, and by all means check out Pattaya and Jomtien beaches first, then check out the beaches on down the coast both before Rayong and past Rayong and I am certain you will see the difference I was talking about (not to mention no Russians) :D

With the Canadian Dollar doing so well ( you lucky person) - maybe you should jump in now. I am betting the Thai Baht is going to 25 shortly. 25 is where it was in 1997 - so not that big of a deal - unless your like me - used to 40+ per dollar.

Anyway - I have a Unit you can rent - before thinking about buying. We are having our 2nd kid here in Hawaii - so our unit is empty. I bought at View Talay 1B because of the Pool and nice people around there. I rented there before buying.

Also I'd feel funny telling people I live in Pattaya - but Jomtien is close by - if you want to visit.

Once I had a girl friend at Bang Sane - totally Thai location. if I was shopping again I might look there. But you might feel isolated there - like the other poster said.

For me View Talay 1B is perfect. However I stayed in the Dorms at University - so it's not for everyone. I like it for the poeple - the Pool - and sooooo inexpensive. Someone would have to live there before making some comments. My Condo is 1 Unit - many others are larger.

When I was shopping View Talay 2 - the atmosphere didn't seem the same - the pool food - the people - nothing seemed as nice. I liked View Talay 1B the best - especially at the price. No way i'm spending 2 or 3 million Baht - I just don't have it to spend - and if I did have alittle more - I would still be shopping low end.

The Condo's are about the price of a luxury car. You have to pay cash buddy :-)

Check out also Cha-am and Hua Hin.

Prefer both of them any day over Pattaya or Jomtien. New developments are pricey there as well but you can also find good re-sale deals from bit older developments.

Prefer both of them any day over Pattaya or Jomtien. New developments are pricey there as well but you can also find good re-sale deals from bit older developments.

I was the opposit - I liked Jomtein the Best. I looked everywhere.

I'd have thought Southern Thailand - but it's all the same I guess.

Hua Hin seemed very boring to me - accept for the clams / seafood.

I never spent any time in Cha - am - I'll bet that is the spot :-)

Baan Saan - might be the spot too. This is a favorite spot for Thai's

Even though I speak Thai and everything - I would probably feel isolated there.

The grocery store at View Talay 1B - just out on the road has everything - 24/7 - plus Lotus

just up the way to suchumvitt Highway - hugh superstore.

If I wanted to go really low money I'd look at Na Glua - near Jomtien. Not far from Pattaya - and really really cheap.

How many of you guys have shopped for seafood at Na glua - unbelivable. It's not far to the beach if you have a car or motorcycle. But really - how much seafood can you eat.

I love the Jomtien restuarants - bring your own Butter :-)

I walk down from View Talay 1B - or pay 10 Baht for the Baht Bus usually.

Once a week I go for it - huge Shrimp - BBQ

I bring some butter - so as not to bother the Thai waiters

I bring some Chardennay Wine - no problem - as I always leave a good tip - and come back.

Thai's don't understand butter - or clairified butter with shimp.

I'd say Na Glua for the best Condo deal - or Baang San for the Thai way - Best for me is View Talay 1B - and I've been traveling Thailand since 1999. Shoot - I even taught English there for 1 year (Bangkok).

I'd buy at Na Glua - now. But internet is not so good there. That's why View Talay 1B is so good - high speed interrnet Plus the people Plus the Pool Plus the food +++ .

As someone who buys properties in distress you can't even think there is a condo that is not in need of renovation.

too much information - are you selling something

'sanap sadin doai" hehe

The city is not "expanding nicely" - it's rather chaoticaly, with infrastructure lagging far behind. Traffic jams are not short of Bangkok hel_l.

To OP: yes, there are places better than Pattaya if the sea is the primary thing you want.

Solid 2-bedroom (120 sqm)units in high rises (with gym, pool, minimart) were 2.4-3.2 mil baht.

I inspected about a dozen of them, the pics are from various places but they are mostly similar in quality, size and views.

In first pic, the hill above the beach is where Rayong Resort is. The island behind is Koh Samet itself, about 4km from the standing point to Ban Phe ferry pier.

The last pic is price list from one of the places, to give you an idea what is being asked per sqm. It was about 500US$ psqm.

Yes, that is the correct alternative. Not that impressed with Cha-am but still OK. If you know of any good re-sale deal, please let us know. I am now in a search for hua hin seafront.

too much information - are you selling something

'sanap sadin doai" hehe

Ahh..another zero value post by a newbie who is still to learn how to quote on discussion board.