Thai Brides - Marriage Scams

Harry Palmer

Lake Palmer's Story...

The 60-year-old admits he was taken for a fool by an Asian beauty he married only three days after they met.

She strung him along for eight months before dumping him for another rich European man, leaving him £12,000 in debt.

Now Lake, a former Army captain who served in the Borders, spends his days in bed, suffering from depression.

Lake married Panom Yeesoon nicknamed Jad in a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand four years ago.

He was convinced he had found a woman who would love and care for him for the rest of his life.

When he returned home, he bombarded her with gifts, money and love letters. But eight months later, after failing to get a visa to come to Britain, she dumped him for someone else.

Lake said: 'I know people will say I'm a silly old man but I am very lonely. Growing old on your own is frightening.

'I was just looking for someone who would give me companionship in my twilight years a bit like Fred.'

A former offshore gas rig worker, Lake was forced to retire in 2000 due to ill health. He had been married twice before but neither relationship had lasted more than five years.

He decided to seek a Thai bride through an introduction agency. It cost him £1385 and a further £800 to get to Bangkok, where he met Jad. She was 45 but looked much younger.

'She had a regal quality,' he said. 'She was slim and very well-dressed. I was swept off my feet.'

On their second day together, he proposed. They married the following day in a hastily-arranged Buddhist ceremony. Luckily for him, Lake had forgotten his decree absolute and couldn't get the paperwork together for a legally-binding ceremony. So, what he went through was only a blessing.

He slept with Jad on their wedding night and spent five more romantic days with her, before taking his pre-booked flight home.

She pledged to follow him as soon as her visa came through. It was August 2000 and Lake thought they'd be together by Christmas.

From his home in Great Yarmouth, he ran up a telephone bill of £1800 and sent her £1500 and lavish gifts.

But she was refused a visa. It turned out she was still legally married to another Englishman.

Ever hopeful, Lake continued to correspond and send money until April 2001, when she told him in a telephone call she had met a Belgian man and didn't want to know him any more.

He said: 'I cried for six weeks and I've lost all my confidence. I only have my Army pension to live on. I think that's why she didn't want me.

'I've had a nervous breakdown and I'm still desperately lonely.'

Lake Palmer was a man featured on Louis Theroux's "Weird Weekend" show about The Thai Bride industry, it was shown on UK TV

Yes Totster i remember that program,He was the guy with the personality disorder,He couldn't control his temper and was on medication for it.I think that lady did well to last as long as she did,If you saw the program you would know what i mean :o

Lake Palmer was a man featured on Louis Theroux's "Weird Weekend" show about The Thai Bride industry, it was shown on UK TV

Yes Totster i remember that program,He was the guy with the personality disorder,He couldn't control his temper and was on medication for it.I think that lady did well to last as long as she did,If you saw the program you would know what i mean :o

Yep.... he did tend to get a bit "excitable"... red face and all... gotta admit it did seem a bit too quick how it happend..... I remember Louis saying to Lake that he thought it was all going to fast....

Interesting to see how it all turned out... I agree with you siam, he won't have been easy to live with.. !

totster :D

ps... harry - Where did you get that from...?

153,490 .......o to be a lawyer in a rich mans world :D

Great-grandma's recipe for happy marriage

Frances Osborne(with thanks)

IF YOU heard that a 35-year-old man had told his 20-year-old wife that he had decided the marriage was a mistake and it therefore wasn’t worth the cost of taking her and their child with him when he went to live and work abroad indefinitely — what would you expect to happen next? The chances are, given last year’s seven-year high in divorce statistics of 153,490 couples in Britain, you would expect her to head straight to a solicitor and file for divorce.

This particular 20-year-old — for this is a true story — didn’t. Instead, this extraordinarily resilient woman (she later wrote a recipe book while half-starving in a Japanese concentration camp) transformed .......more :o

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...1273530,00.html

As a side note: I am curious how these scammers, the bg gfs and wife scammers put up with perhaps a falang testing the relationship.

Let's say the guy questions the girl about her relationship with other men, or worse yet treats her with disrespect either alone or in public. Do these scammers put up with it or do they say "<deleted> off" and leave?

If a bargirl or wife asks to invest in a Thai home or a Thai business, or maybe even vocational school, would it be better to tell her that its not a good money investment. Could you gauge her intent by the girl's reaction to you based on a "no" or a string of "nos" to her?

It seems like these guys get voodooed and can't say no or make a rational decision when they are under these girls spells.

It seems like these guys get voodooed and can't say no or make a rational decision when they are under these girls spells.

It's the Sex. What you have to remember is that these fools probably haven’t had sex in a number of years. When they get it they go all dough eyed and they will do anything to keep it. As we all know these girls can be very accommodating.

Seems like every time I see a post from Harry it is something negative about Falang and Thai girl relationships. Not that most of what you say isn't true Harry but, man cut us a little slack here LOL. I mean lets face it that guy was going to take a dive whether he was here or in a titty bar in UK or US or anywhere else. Many lonely ol guys geet shafted around the world on a daily basis. That says nothing about Thai girls specifically except that there are some here like there are all over the world. ###### my ex-wife took me for a quarter million US. Anyway whether it here or elsewhere if you try and make your life in the party you gotta expect to pay.

• 2 years later...

Is there any way that Thai girls who do this and are caught doing this can be held accountable for their actions?

Legally, is there any avenue for the poor bastard that has been royally scammed by these girls?

Technically, whether you feel sorry for these blokes or not, what these girls are doing is illegal. Its "obtaining money by deception" which is a clear case of fraud. It's criminal and should be treated as such!

I remember that - I'm sure someone posted a youtube link on here a few months back.

I didn't know if I was going to laugh or cry at lake's story. it was amusing to watch but you had to feel a bit for the guy.

he ran up a telephone bill of £1800

someone should've introduced him to access numbers. :o

Legally, is there any avenue for the poor bastard that has been royally scammed by these girls?

I'm told a few thousand baht the way of a motorcycle taxi driver sorts the odd problem out.

we'll just forget the word 'legally'.

that's a joke before the mods burst any blood vessels. :o

I remember that - I'm sure someone posted a youtube link on here a few months back.

I didn't know if I was going to laugh or cry at lake's story. it was amusing to watch but you had to feel a bit for the guy.

he ran up a telephone bill of £1800

someone should've introduced him to access numbers. :o

You can watch the episode here.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this turn of phrase.

As in "Where's Harry these days? Haven't heard hide nor hair of him for a few weeks."

" Oh, he's been voodooed." :o

Lake Palmer's Story...

The 60-year-old admits he was taken for a fool by an Asian beauty he married only three days after they met.

She strung him along for eight months before dumping him for another rich European man, leaving him £12,000 in debt.

Now Lake, a former Army captain who served in the Borders, spends his days in bed, suffering from depression.

Lake married Panom Yeesoon nicknamed Jad in a Buddhist ceremony in Thailand four years ago.

He was convinced he had found a woman who would love and care for him for the rest of his life.

When he returned home, he bombarded her with gifts, money and love letters. But eight months later, after failing to get a visa to come to Britain, she dumped him for someone else.

Lake said: 'I know people will say I'm a silly old man but I am very lonely. Growing old on your own is frightening.

'I was just looking for someone who would give me companionship in my twilight years a bit like Fred.'

A former offshore gas rig worker, Lake was forced to retire in 2000 due to ill health. He had been married twice before but neither relationship had lasted more than five years.

He decided to seek a Thai bride through an introduction agency. It cost him £1385 and a further £800 to get to Bangkok, where he met Jad. She was 45 but looked much younger.

'She had a regal quality,' he said. 'She was slim and very well-dressed. I was swept off my feet.'

On their second day together, he proposed. They married the following day in a hastily-arranged Buddhist ceremony. Luckily for him, Lake had forgotten his decree absolute and couldn't get the paperwork together for a legally-binding ceremony. So, what he went through was only a blessing.

He slept with Jad on their wedding night and spent five more romantic days with her, before taking his pre-booked flight home.

She pledged to follow him as soon as her visa came through. It was August 2000 and Lake thought they'd be together by Christmas.

From his home in Great Yarmouth, he ran up a telephone bill of £1800 and sent her £1500 and lavish gifts.

But she was refused a visa. It turned out she was still legally married to another Englishman.

Ever hopeful, Lake continued to correspond and send money until April 2001, when she told him in a telephone call she had met a Belgian man and didn't want to know him any more.

He said: 'I cried for six weeks and I've lost all my confidence. I only have my Army pension to live on. I think that's why she didn't want me.

'I've had a nervous breakdown and I'm still desperately lonely.'

Guys, this a truly sad and unfortunate situation. BUT, all too common. How many stories like this do we have to hear before we figure out that many of these Thai ladies have 3 goals in life: 1) Make lot's of $$ from a farang; 2) Make lot's of $$ from a farang; 3) Make lot's of $$ from a farang...MY BEST SUGGESTION: If you know of someone who is falling for a Thai lady, give them a book entitled "Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye"... True accounts of an Aussie guy who started his own private detective agency in BKK on a shoestring budget. His stories are mostly about tailing bar girls, etc. who some farang met and fell in love with very quickly. This book should serve like a "warning label" for hooking up with Thai women. From what I can gather after being here for over 2 years, the authentic Thai ladies often do not hop in the sack with a guy until they are married; when they go out on a date with a guy, she is often accompanied by her friends/members of her family, especially at first. The courting process can take a year or more. Hooking up with a bar girl, go-go dancer, freelance hooker is a losing proposition for the farang in 99.9% of the cases.

I agree with Maxman. But as a thai, i suggest that common sense is the answer. There should be tell-tale signs to which Thai women will scam u or not.

One thing, before chatting up a woman, please use some consideration. Not all Thais are bar-girls you know!... I've heard of and know of too many ppl who have been asked by Farang men to be their sexfriend, or gf or whatever you guys call it. Its insulting you know.

But all the same, my heart goes out to Lake Palmer. He should've waited longer...or at least get to know her first.