Ep's / Teaching Science In Isan?

Daren

Do you have experience working in an English Program in Isan? What did you teach? How was the salary? Are EP's few and far between or are they fairly common? How many foreign teachers did your EP employ?

I'm currently working in the South and recently began considering a move up that way. So, any info about some of the larger towns up there would also be helpful.

Cheers! Here's to the end of a good school year!

• 1 month later...

I taught in Isan for two and a half years. The jobs are easy. You will be the most qualified to teach in any subject. Everyone will be jealous of you and probubly not talk to you but go out of their way to undermine you. None of your ideas will be considered. You come to work and go home. The kids are great for what its worth. What I have seen is the general concensus that isan is under educated beyond imagination. Teachers that can speak English to any degree of fluency will be in Bangkok at a corporate job making more than 7,000 to 17,000 a month. The teachers will come late, sleep in the classroom, pass every kid, go shopping during working hours, and blah, blah, blah............. But Isan is cheap, friendly, and easy to live if you don't have to work with anyone you know outside of the job. OH, the pay for a foreigner will vary from hourly to 35-40,000 a month depending on how much they want to use your face for marketing the school.

Udan Thani is great but hard to find a job there. Kalasin is the best place I have lived but nothing to do. People are wonderful and prices are cheap. Khon Kaen is very picky but has a few things to do. It is a university town but lots of farangs live there. Great for shopping. NongKhai is a border town that has few perks and lots of idiot farangs on border runs. Locals tolerate the runners.

Don't know much else. Good luck.