50 Baht Per Tonne .....expensive Or Cheap?

grapetable

I would appreciate some advice on a quotation for digging a dam/lake/pond approximately 30m x 20m x 2m (about 1,200 tonnes). I was quoted 50baht per tonne and max of 50K baht for the finished product. Is this a reasonable cost, expensive or cheap? There is only 1 nearby earth moving company. Its out in the boonies near Loas border.

Thank you for any relevant response!

gt

Sounds like trucking off of the dirt is figured in price as its quoted in (tons). Backholes are day quoted in my experience, but if only 1 company avliable, get ready to get scammed. You may look at tractor with blade if 2 meter depth is enough. You will probably get more response if this is on farming forum.

If you are talking about digging a realy nice 30 x 20 lake straight edges that realy looks the part and use the soil for your own use _ landfill -having the soil moved by trucks in your land the tops in price should be around 33k to 42k .

If you are having a hole dug and the soil thrown on the edges by macro no trucks being used to move soil you should get the job done for 21k .

If you are having a hole dug and they want and are willing to take the soil you will get this hole dug for free .

Best regards

JB

As slapout stated,a tractor is by far the most economic way (unless its stony) , 10-15k should get it done, a tractor also does a better job IMHO. Depends on whether your talking 2m deep from existing ground level or if the fill will become the raised shoulders of the pond,if the latter then you dont have to go down 2m.

My first 1rai pond was dug by excavator and ended up an expensive mess, the last 3 x 1 rai ponds were dug by tractor and blade for about 10k each and the water level is up to 2m higher than the surrounding land and not a bit of trouble with leakage.

If you are prepared to give the dirt away, most construction companies will do it for free. If the local company won't budge on price, drive around the local vicinity, find a road project & contact their foreman / owner with the proposition that if they dig the hole, they can keep the dirt.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

Soil is always measured in cubic metres. The average cost of having a pool dug works out @ 25 baht per cubic. A pool of your dimensions @ 25 baht per cubic metre will cost B 30,000. I have never heard of anyone quoting in tonnes? If you do not want the soil, ask around & you will get the job done for free, the digging boys sell the soil to those requiring landfill & get there money that way.

I would appreciate some advice on a quotation for digging a dam/lake/pond approximately 30m x 20m x 2m (about 1,200 tonnes). I was quoted 50baht per tonne and max of 50K baht for the finished product. Is this a reasonable cost, expensive or cheap? There is only 1 nearby earth moving company. Its out in the boonies near Loas border.

Thank you for any relevant response!

gt

Sounds like your getting jerked around on the price- Our neighbor has a 50 rai plot(Bang Sare area) & has dug an irrigation pit a little bigger than yours for the Excavator(Large claw X 4 11 hr days average) 27,000 baht Alisa asked how much he sold the fill for( we wanted some of the din dam!) and he declined to give an answer. Here charge is by the truckload for buying fill & day for the claw at X amt. A tractor is less than 1/2 of the price of the claw.

As mentioned they might have you by the short hairs if you do not have any competition in the area. Maybe someone has a tractor that can do it cheaper.

Thanks all..................some extra info............we needed the soil (clay really) to buildup and flatten the adjacent land for a house..............and so they said another 50K to do that so 100K in all.................I think they saw farang coming!

Anyway I said in no uncertain terms the equivalent of FOff! I offered 50K for both ............and even think thats expensive........I think they will agree.

I will keep u informed.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks all..................some extra info............we needed the soil (clay really) to buildup and flatten the adjacent land for a house..............and so they said another 50K to do that so 100K in all.................I think they saw farang coming!

Anyway I said in no uncertain terms the equivalent of FOff! I offered 50K for both ............and even think thats expensive........I think they will agree.

I will keep u informed.

Thanks again for your help!

Dear grapetable, in our area (Petchabun) the price is as follows: Dirt goes by truck, one truck is 16 m3, to move one truck dirt cost 500 bath (31 bath/m3). It does not matter if you buy the soil or it’s from your own land.

I case you buy or move a large number o trucks (~50) this price includes the macro (to load the soil) and tractor (to move the soil).

The hour price for a macro is 1600 bath and tractor 500 bath.

Now comes the trick; I tell you how we did this: We want to build an elevated road, need about 70 trucks. We agreed on 500 bath truck. The soil came from the land of the neighbor and our land; we both got a pond for "free".

In your case you could do the same, ask the price for the landfill only. Then use the soil from your land to dig the pond. It should be around ~38000 bath for both jobs (maybe need some more macro hours to make it really nice).

We had a pond expanded and a road put in with dirt from adding rice paddies. After we used all the dirt we could my wife told the excavator that he could have more dirt to sell from making more rice paddies. Our cost was about 20,000 baht total for what he had done. After that he took a LOT more dirt to sell. That was fine with no problems until today. My wife wanted him to tidy some things up and he told her that diesel was too expensive for him to do it free. She told him if he couldn't help her out with a little free work to pack it up and take no more dirt so he is gone. The rest will be done with tractors.