Land Title Upgrade Procedure

I have been reading this forum for some time now and researching many different areas. It is a very usefull and informative forum.

While I found several posts on land titles and changing to chanotes, I am wondering if anyone can answer the following.

We are looking to purchase some land which has the Nor Sor Sam title and can be upgraded to chanote. But we have had a few different stories relative to this.

Firstly, we were told that we could not get chanote alone, we had to wait and apply through the village chief and have several other land owners in the same area wanting to upgrade. Is this true or not ?

Secondly we were told we had to wait for the government to come to the area when they were ready to upgrade the area and this was entirely up to them, not us.

Thirdly I just want to know if we can apply as a single land owner for an upgrade and pay whatever is required to get the job done without waiting for years etc.

Does anyone know roughly what the cost would be for a title upgrade of this nature.

Thank.

I used to own the Nor Sor Sam title and subsequently upgraded to chanotes. My understandings are as follow:

I have been reading this forum for some time now and researching many different areas. It is a very usefull and informative forum.

While I found several posts on land titles and changing to chanotes, I am wondering if anyone can answer the following.

We are looking to purchase some land which has the Nor Sor Sam title and can be upgraded to chanote. All the Nor Sor Sam titles are due to be upgraded nationwide but the question is "when".But we have had a few different stories relative to this.

Firstly, we were told that we could not get chanote alone, we had to wait and apply through the village chief and have several other land owners in the same area wanting to upgrade. Is this true or not ? I think this is a pressure group that may be useful but not always successful.

Secondly we were told we had to wait for the government to come to the area when they were ready to upgrade the area and this was entirely up to them, not us.Yes, I think this is the case applicable to ours. We didn't even know it was forthcoming until one fine day we received a notice from the Land Department.

Thirdly I just want to know if we can apply as a single land owner for an upgrade and pay whatever is required to get the job done without waiting for years etc. No, I don't think so unless you know of some officials who are on this job and ask them to jump the queue.

Does anyone know roughly what the cost would be for a title upgrade of this nature. I don't recall paying any fees for that upgrade.

Thank.

It depends what you want to upgrade, kind of title deed, where, the size of the land, etc.

You must go at the land department and ask for it. We would need a copy of your title deed, check the law and make some phones calls to give you better information. But let me give you few examples:

1- If your title deed is very low, you need to wait until the government passes a law. Near Buriram, we were told that a law passed in Nong Khi, last time, 31 years ago. It was the lowest title deed, not even saying that you are the owner, in the forest!!!!!!

2- If you have a Nor Sor Sam, it normally takes about 2-4 months, sometimes longer, to get your chanotte.

3- If the area is quite large, let say 50 rai, it must go in BKK and you must publish it. It takes more time.

We are waiting for a least 4 months for an area of 40 rai, upgrading Nor Sor Sam to Chanotte in Korat.

4- There are some fees to pay for the surveyor. We recently paid 5,000 baht for separating and upgrading around 2 rai in Khon Kaen. We were told about 2 months and are in the process now.

5- Tea money can accelerate the process.

Thanks IL, as in the original post I said it was Nor Sor Sam title currently.

Waiting a few months, even 6 months, even a year would be no problem.

Waiting for the government to get around to it for years could be though.