Thai Muslims Demonstrate Over Muhammad Cartoon

funfun

Thai Muslims Demonstrate Over Muhammad Cartoon in Danish Newspapers

Thai Muslims Demonstrate Over Muhammad Cartoon in Danish Newspapers

By VOA News

12 March 2008

Hundreds of Thai Muslims have protested outside Denmark's embassy in Bangkok against a decision by Danish newspapers to reprint a cartoon perceived by many as insulting to Islam.

At least 400 people participated in the protest Wednesday, which lasted about two hours. Protesters criticized the Danish government for not keeping its media from reprinting the cartoon of Prophet Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban, and called for a boycott of Danish products.

The cartoon was among 12 drawings that ignited angry riots throughout the Muslim world when a Danish paper first published them in 2005. Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet.

Several newspapers reprinted the Mohammed cartoon last month after Danish police said they uncovered a plot to kill the cartoonist. The papers said the reprint was meant to promote freedom of speech.

People in several Muslim countries staged renewed demonstrations after the cartoon was reprinted, but this was the first major protest by Thai Muslims against the illustration.

Muslims are a minority in predominantly Buddhist Thailand.

"and called for a boycott of Danish products."

So its a week back on Tuna sandwiches instead of Bacon & egg

Interesting that, as far as I know, this hasn't been reported locally.Self censorship or the usual rubbish standard of Thai journalism? My guess is the latter.

Its in the Straits Times today as well

There was also an article in their business section yesterday too about the Thai Trade Minister talking about updates required to the Alien Business Act which would affect Tesco, Ford Ricoh et al (positively I think) which I have not seen written about on here.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Danish newspapers were printing cartoons which were viewed as anti-semitic or involved naked pictures of underage kids. Would they still be viewed as defenders of free speech?

I think people in the Muslim community have over-reacted but continuing to publish this rubbish isn't helpful

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Danish newspapers were printing cartoons which were viewed as anti-semitic or involved naked pictures of underage kids. Would they still be viewed as defenders of free speech?

I think people in the Muslim community have over-reacted but continuing to publish this rubbish isn't helpful

Wait till the uproar hits about the short film from the Dutch guy is released that slags Islam as reactionary.

"involved naked pictures of underage kids"

What on earth has that got to do with it?????

that would upset every community!!!!

"I think people in the Muslim community have over-reacted""

in what way do you mean over reacted? protesting at embassy in bkk

or

"Danish police said they had uncovered a plot to kill the cartoonist"

:o

Middle eastern newspapers contain anti-Semitic propaganda and cartoons all the time.When "people in the Muslim community" as you oddly called the rentacrowd mob outside the Danish Embassy start dealing with that, I'll take their protests seriously.

<br />
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Danish newspapers were printing cartoons which were viewed as anti-semitic or involved naked pictures of underage kids. Would they still be viewed as defenders of free speech?<br /><br />I think people in the Muslim community have over-reacted but continuing to publish this rubbish isn't helpful
<br /><br />Middle eastern newspapers contain anti-Semitic propaganda and cartoons all the time.When "people in the Muslim community" as you oddly called the rentacrowd mob outside the Danish Embassy start dealing with that, I'll take their protests seriously.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes but the international community rightly criticises these anti-semitic publications and has done so frequently. There is not the discussion about the rights of free speech. Where is the international condemnation of the Danes?

In regards to funfun's questions.

1. What on earth has that got to do with it?????

An issue shouldn't need to be taboo for every community for it to be handled carefully.

2. in what way do you mean over reacted? protesting at embassy in bkk

or

I seem to remember that the Americans wanted to blow up some Arabic TV stations because they didn't like the coverage.

An issue shouldn't need to be taboo for every community for it to be handled carefully.

or

I seem to remember that the Americans wanted to blow up some Arabic TV stations because they didn't like the coverage.

ok right lets start with this, see if you can say these words

The men who tried to kill the cartoonist were wrong & stupid and deserve whatever the Danish law throws at them!

se if you can say that and mean it?

<br />
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Danish newspapers were printing cartoons which were viewed as anti-semitic or involved naked pictures of underage kids. Would they still be viewed as defenders of free speech?<br /><br />I think people in the Muslim community have over-reacted but continuing to publish this rubbish isn't helpful
<br /><br />Middle eastern newspapers contain anti-Semitic propaganda and cartoons all the time.When "people in the Muslim community" as you oddly called the rentacrowd mob outside the Danish Embassy start dealing with that, I'll take their protests seriously.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes but the international community rightly criticises these anti-semitic publications and has done so frequently. There is not the discussion about the rights of free speech. Where is the international condemnation of the Danes?

I suppose one crucial difference is that objectors to the anti-Semitic cartoons (which are far more prevalent and extensive) do not resort to threats of murder, and in some cases-as in Holland- actually butchering satirists on the street.

or

Is this a serious rebuttal? :o

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Garro; please; don't bother arguing or viewing a different point of view here; you'd lose time & energy in vain.Unless you are in a warrior mood today or longed to be tagged as a fanatic supporter :o

Freedom of speech is one 'freedom' most of us take for granted but it is enshrined in very few Constitutions. Many young men have fought in wars to 'protect our way of life.' If you find something offensive you have two options:

1) If it is 'in your face' - report what you find offensive to the powers that be - i.e. the police

2) If it is in the print, radio or TV media - report it to the relevant broadcasting authority - or just don't buy the newspaper or magazine, or don't watch that particular TV channel.

All countries that I know have censorship in some form or another. In the case of Thailand, complains were made about a certain YouTube clip - and the whole of YouTube was blocked in Thailand.

From the headline, my guess is the Thai muslims who demonstrated probably have not seen the cartoon and were paid to demonstrate - in other words, rent-a-crowd.

Peter

I seem to remember that the Americans (wanted) to blow up some Arabic TV stations because they didn't like the coverage.

Just for the records; they did and not wanted. What abt Layla al-attar ? she did also draw a (painting) but what was her punishment? Chris Christenson had sang ( circles) for her memory.

Edited by zaza

or

"President Bush expressed interest in bombing the headquarters of the Arabic television network al-Jazeera during a White House conversation with Prime Minister Tony Blair in April 2004, a British newspaper reported Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2301195_pf.html

It was OK though because he planned to use smart bombs which only kill bad people.

yeh. Indeed; those were so smart.

Like the smart ones that had been used in Baghdad's biggest shelter, Amiriya, which had taken a direct strike and that some 408 people, most of them children,women and elder ppl who had died in heat so intense that it carbonized flesh to walls and turned human bodies into shadows.

Edited by zaza

Do not be amazed if this topic is closed or very heavily moderated.

Don't blame you one bit. Remember the outrage when an artist made a nud_e sculpture of Jesus out of chocolate? When it involves Jesus, the outrage results in angry letters, phone calls and protests. When the outrage involve the founder of another certain religion...it may result in gunfire and things exploding.

Do not be amazed if this topic is closed or very heavily moderated.

Don't blame you one bit. Remember the outrage when an artist made a nud_e sculpture of Jesus out of chocolate? When it involves Jesus, the outrage results in angry letters, phone calls and protests. When the outrage involve the founder of another certain religion...it may result in gunfire and things exploding.

It is not just Muslims who resort to violence when they feel their religion has been slighted. Many in Northern Ireland used religious sensibilities as an excuse to blow the shit out of one another. I also feel fairly confident that no mainstream media would now get away with cartoons making fun of the other's religion. No matter how much they whined about freedom of speech.

Edited by garro

Thank you, garro. If you had cited facts in the first place I would not have posted what I did.

and why would you wait for(garro) to post (facts) for you???

Why would not you seek out for the truth by yourself? why don't you Google it?

Speaking now from a 100% westernized citizen conscious wise I wish to add this; you know you can not blame those people to be closed-minded cause mostly they live in a very oppressed tyrannic sheikdoms who have all kinds of (thought-POLICE) . But what are our excuses to accept or understand others??? why would some western ppl just jump on and hate everyone who does not look like them or think like them? &lt;deleted&gt; should they care if a woman wears a curtain or a tent?? why don't they dislike that dress code worn by nuns and Amish women??

why don't they try to read and know what are the reasons or just simply follow the rule of:: what if I was in those ppl's shoes??? Do you like to be treated in that way?

Where was the (freedom of speech) with Layla al-attar bombing??????????

Edited by zaza

In fact if anyone studeis Arab media they have regular articles and cartoons of Jews that depict them as evil incarnate.

This was an article at the time of the mass protests against the cartoons in denmark

First they came for Israel, then they came for America...

Feb 7, 2006

by Dennis Prager

In 1945, the anti-Nazi German pastor Martin Niemoller wrote the following:

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me."

This famous statement can be updated for Europeans:

First they came for Israel, and we didn't speak up because we weren't Jews. Then they came for Lebanon's Christians, and we didn't speak up because we weren't Maronites. Then they came for America, and we didn't speak up because we weren't Americans. Then they came for Sudan's blacks, and we didn't speak up because we weren't Sudanese blacks. Then they came for us, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for us.

As long as Muslim demonstrators only shouted "Death to America" and "Death to Israel," Europe (and the rest of the world's Left) found reasons either to ignore the Nazi-like evil inherent in those chants (and the homicidal actions that flowed from them) or to blame America and Israel for the hatred.

But like the earlier Nazis, our generation's fascists hate anything good, not merely Jews and Americans. And now the Damascus embassy of Norway, a leading anti-Israel "peace at any price" country, has been torched. And more and more Norwegians, and Brits, and French, and Dutch, and Swedes, and the rest of the European appeasers who blamed America for 9-11 and blamed Israel for Palestinian suicide bombings, are beginning to wonder whether there just might be something morally troubling within the Islamic world.

Some on the Left here and in Europe are beginning to reassess whether America and Israel or their Islamic enemies are at fault.

The fact that major newspapers in most Western European countries published some or all of the cartoons that triggered the riots against Denmark, the country in which the offending cartoons of Muhammad first appeared, was a statement that at least some in Europe have had it with appeasement of Islamic violence.

And here in America, a left-of-center columnist for the Los Angeles Times, Tim Rutten, just wrote: "It's no longer possible to overlook the culture of intolerance, hatred and xenophobia that permeates the Islamic world."

As it happens, I have sympathy with the notion that newspapers and others need to be sensitive to religious, including Muslim, sensibilities. However, when Muslim governments and religious spokesmen attack the West for its insensitivity to Muslims and its anti-Muslim prejudice, one has entered the Twilight Zone. Because nowhere in the world is there anywhere near the religious bigotry and sheer hatred of other religions that exists in the Muslim world.

Christians nearly everywhere in the Arab and Muslim worlds are usually second-class citizens at best and terribly treated at worst.

The Taliban Islamic regime in Afghanistan blew up the unique Buddhist sculptures in their country because they didn't want even a trace of a non-monotheistic faith to survive in an Islamic country.

About a million non-Arab and non-Muslim men, women and children have been slaughtered by the Islamic regime in Sudan.

Nigerian Christians are periodically murdered by Islamic mobs.

And regarding Jews, Andrew Sullivan writes in this week's Time: "The Arab media run cartoons depicting Jews and the symbols of the Jewish faith with imagery indistinguishable from that used in the Third Reich."

As for the riots and Islamic government protests, one question needs to be posed to these people: Which casts Islam in a worse light -- political cartoons depicting Muhammad, or Muslims who murder innocents around the world in the name Allah and Islam?

Did any Jews riot when the Los Angeles Times published a cartoon of the holiest site in Judaism, the Western Wall, with its stones reconfigured to spell "hate"?

Did any Christians riot when museums displayed "Piss Christ," a crucifix submerged in artist Andres Serrano's urine?

What we have is a culture largely based on saving face and honor juxtaposed with a Judeo-Christian Western culture largely based on saving liberty and innocent life.

All of us, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, should pray that the better one wins.

Thank you, garro. If you had cited facts in the first place I would not have posted what I did.

and why would you wait for(garro) to post (facts) for you???

Why would not you seek out for the truth by yourself? why don't you Google it?

Speaking now from a 100% westernized citizen conscious wise I wish to add this; you know you can not blame those people to be closed-minded cause mostly they live in a very oppressed tyrannic sheikdoms who have all kinds of (thought-POLICE) . But what are our excuses to accept or understand others??? why would some western ppl just jump on and hate everyone who does not look like them or think like them? &lt;deleted&gt; should they care if a woman wears a curtain or a tent?? why don't they dislike that dress code worn by nuns and Amish women??

why don't they try to read and know what are the reasons or just simply follow the rule of:: what if I was in those ppl's shoes??? Do you like to be treated in that way?

Where was the (freedom of speech) with Layla al-attar bombing??????????

Why are you jumping on me? Where did I say anything about hating anyone? It was a comment on form not content.