Transfer Dollars From Us To Thailand Free

I found a way to get my transfers online [without calling] to my bangkok bank account free. tried it twice now and there doesnt seem to be a limit. no charges from either bank

i have an account in the US with ameritrade. if you are an apex customer [more than 100k in the account] you can transfer anywhere free into the US as long as both account names match. i set up ameritrade for the transfer with bangkok bank NY info and my thai account number. the first time i tried it ameritrade said to call them, i did and had to answer lots of questions to verify. they made that transfer a week ago with no problems or fees. this time i tried it online with the same setup and it went through automatically with no fees at either end

i tried the bank america was and that worked with minor fees and a cap fo 10k but this seems the way to go if you have both accounts

hope this helps some of you guys

Yes, that sounds like a similar approach to the BofA linking to BKKB New York branch approach.

However, you might want to check the details of your BKKB transaction at the Thailand end. BKKB has a standard processing fee for incoming international funds (I think between 200 and 500 baht depending on the incoming amount).

You might not notice that, since it wouldn't be deducted or show up at the Ameritrade end. But, I'd be pretty certain BKKB deducted their cut at the Thailand end out of your gross proceeds. So, it's not exactly "free" at the Thailand end.

I found a way to get my transfers online [without calling] to my bangkok bank account free. tried it twice now and there doesnt seem to be a limit. no charges from either bank

i have an account in the US with ameritrade. if you are an apex customer [more than 100k in the account] you can transfer anywhere free into the US as long as both account names match. i set up ameritrade for the transfer with bangkok bank NY info and my thai account number. the first time i tried it ameritrade said to call them, i did and had to answer lots of questions to verify. they made that transfer a week ago with no problems or fees. this time i tried it online with the same setup and it went through automatically with no fees at either end

i tried the bank america was and that worked with minor fees and a cap fo 10k but this seems the way to go if you have both accounts

hope this helps some of you guys

However, you might want to check the details of your BKKB transaction at the Thailand end. BKKB has a standard processing fee for incoming international funds (I think between 200 and 500 baht depending on the incoming amount).

The Bkk bank fee is 200 baht regardless of amount transferred.

Also Golden One Credit Union in CA offered free foreign transfers as of a year ago.

I saw it in their advertising and asked the manager of a local branch about it. She didnt know the details and so called HQ in Sacto where someone in the transfer part of the company confirmed that it is "free". I have never used it though.

For those who do not have more than $100k to qualify for the Ameritrade account or not wanting to pay high service charges from commercial banks, I have been sending Wire transfers to my Bangkok Bank account for $15 through Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

The transfer is routed through the New York Branch of Bangkok Bank and usually arrives within 1-2 days.

Yes, Bangkok Bank does impose a service charge on the receiving end too.

It is also much safer and more convenient than travelling with a lot of cash or traveller's checks. My money is converted into baht at the higher TT rate and is readily available by use of an ATM card throughout Thailand or any Bangkok Bank Branch office.

Guest Bellini
The Bkk bank fee is 200 baht regardless of amount transferred...

The Bangkok Bank fee is 0.25% of the incoming amount but minimum 200 Baht, maximum 500 Baht.