Another Falafel Thread

Bananaman

I go regularly to Jerusalem restaurant. It serves some of the best falafel I've had, and all the staff including Mama (I don't know her actual name) are very polite and they do smile. A couple of times Mama has even given me free side dishes. I'm sure she can be 'direct' with some customers, but that's the jewish way. I'll keep going.

• 7 months later...

We've been to this place and this woman is rude, that's true. I don't want to come back. The friend of mine happened to come to this place wearing "Free Israel" t-shirt, and the owner shouted at her. Nancy Chandler says good words about this place in her map, but it's better to move out of all maps in CM.

"Free Israel"? What does that even mean? :o (Did it perhaps say "Free Palestine" ? )

Anyway, I think she's a colourful person who has a significant number of grumpy days, but who can also be VERY welcoming and good spirited. She's the Basil Fawlty of Chiang Mai restaurateurs and personally I think the place is an asset to the city.

.....With your attitude about her in this public forum, it might suggest to me that you are not a favorite customer.. Oh well, she has been here a long time and I'm sure her attitudes don't bother many of her customers

Ajarn, got a remarkable point here ... nobody is forced to go to her place!

I've been to Jerusalem Restaurant many times for the past 4 years and I've never seen or heard the famous "Mama" do or say anything rude (though I also heard stories about her 'Mediterranean behavior"...). Actually, nearly every time my GF and I go there, she's nowhere to be seen (works in the kitchen ? or upstairs doing the book-keeping ?). Most of the time we had to deal with her (always smiling little dwarf) husband (is he really :o ).

Food is always fresh and delicious (falafel, schnitzel, etc...), BUT... but, but, but,

1) in my opinion clearly overpriced for what it is. That's probably one of the reason you never see any Israelis in her restaurant (they go to the Chabad House on Chang Khlan Rd., cheaper and quite good too).

2) The "smiling little dwarf" seems to have some problems with arithmetic, if you know what I mean. So, the first time I just decided it was a mistake (it happens), but the second time I decided it was enough. So, won't go there again, sorry :D

Food there is ok... the falafels certainly aren't anything to write home about - had much better while living in Amsterdam and when visiting barcelona.

Agree that it's overpriced for what it is. but farang food = inflated farang prices. almost always.

My biggest gripe with JF is the ambience, or should I say the complete lack of it. Bright strip lights, no music, over air-conditioned. more like being in a school canteen in the winter, than a restaurant.

Never had any beef with Mama.

Did there not used to be a falafel place on Loi Kroh, near the night bazaar?

keo

perhaps Mama Falafel just doesn't like you, and didn't want you to come back! :o

I should mind my own business, but I have a feeling that the Physherman might have a point here.

I am pretty sure that I have heard a certain highly respected CM journalist's name taken in vain by Mama a time or two over the years. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Did there not used to be a falafel place on Loi Kroh, near the night bazaar?

I know felafel place in The Peak. It's open cafe, prices are better.

Please elaborate. What/where is The Peak in CM ?

By the way, there's another Middle Eastern place that opened recently, called "Garden". It's one of the Meals On Wheels restaurant choices.

And I think Mama's felafels are good. Perhaps she should join Meals On Wheels, so those of you who dislike the atmosphere can still enjoy the food.

Interesting that this thread should reappear some seven months after I originally started it and interesting also is that Jerusalem's second branch at the Meechok Plaza is now no more. It shut down at least a month ago, which means it can't have lasted more than about six months in total. Maybe old Mama's colourful behaviour is what keeps the Thapae branch running so successfully or maybe the new one closed down 'cause her hubby, who manned it, just couldn't stand being away from her for the best part of the day!

I'm not a big expert on falafels, but Mama's pitta bread is WAY better than any other in Chiang Mai and most of her other products seem much better also. There are a few places in Bangkok that match her for quality, but they seem to have higher prices and smaller portions. I get absolutely stuffed on 150 baht with a giant falafel sandwich, babaganush and a mango lassi and I am eating for about five! :o