When You Live With Thai Gf

Dan75

I am very interested to hear from all you guy's who have set up home with your Thai gf's/wives.

What is it like when you go round to her families house on a Sunday afternoon to visit if you can't speak the language? I imagine it gets easier but the first few times must be such a strange experience.

Does the family look upon you in a strange way as you are different to them?

i'm fortunate because madame palmers family (mother/ father/ brothers & sisters) all speak extremely good american english...

yes, the family did initially regard me as a farang sex-pat who was only after one thing... as a pre-caution her father (a major in the thai police), unknown to me at the time had me 'checked' out in the UK before agreeing to let me court his daughter... fortunately i came up to scratch regarding my education, family background & financial status...

I to am fortunate in a way, my gf and both her brothers went to university in the United States, however her father who is a chinese and her mother whom is Thai cant speak English, I have been with my gf for three years and did not meet her parents until after more than a year, i met her brothers sooner than that (about 6months or so), when i first met her father i could speek very limited Thai and this was very embarassing on my behalf, i have now been hear for little under 4 years and find that speaking more and more Thai is the only way forward as far as building a relationship with her family is concerned (mother and father), she still lives at home with her parents, as her father would not dream of his daughter living with someone before marriage, and quite rightly so. :o

know what you're saying mango - learning to speak thai was the only way forward for me with my wife's family...they live in Bkk as did we so we were getting visited all the time and at first i just had to sit there looking like a right dufus cos my thai was so limited (none of her family speak any english) but as i became more and more proficient so my relationship with her 2 brothers, 2 sisters, ma and pa grew more and more involved to the point where i was going out with just her brother or sister somewhere and we could have the crack together without her having to be there to translate...i think if you can speak some thai then it makes you less of an 'alien' and foreign to them so you become a lot more approachable as a friend or confidante....

What is it like when you go round to her families house on a Sunday afternoon to visit if you can't speak the language? I imagine it gets easier but the first few times must be such a strange experience.

Does the family look upon you in a strange way as you are different to them?

Obviously, you're not gonna understand much. Either it'll stay that way or you learn some thai. :o