Asian Expat Communities In Thailand

thaibebop

What are the larger Asian expat communities in Thailand? Where are they located and how are they organized? I have heard there is a large Japanese expat community, have they made a Little Toyko anywhere? I know Burmese are there in great numbers, do they mix in with the Thais or form their own living spaces? Any Asian groups like Koreans, perhaps?

The Soi's around Prom Phong BTS station are all heavily populated by Japanese and Korean expats. Soi Thanya (spelling) is a "night time" entertainment area catering to the same demographic.

So, the Japanese get their own red light district, is that right? Does this mean that they have built some Japanese community around the area, with markets and all?

What are the larger Asian expat communities in Thailand? Where are they located and how are they organized? I have heard there is a large Japanese expat community, have they made a Little Toyko anywhere? I know Burmese are there in great numbers, do they mix in with the Thais or form their own living spaces? Any Asian groups like Koreans, perhaps?
China town BKK, I tink :D:D:o

The Soi's around Prom Phong BTS station are all heavily populated by Japanese and Korean expats. Soi Thanya (spelling) is a "night time" entertainment area catering to the same demographic.

So, the Japanese get their own red light district, is that right? Does this mean that they have built some Japanese community around the area, with markets and all?

don't get to excited now. I guest you want to try different culture.

China town BKK, I tink

I wouldn't call China Town an "expat" disctrict per se, most of them will be Thai citizens I imagine.

That seemed to be the case in 2005 when my Shanghai friend toured the back streets of Chinatown in BKK. He could not find a speaker of Mandarin, and doubted there were many Cantonese speakers.

I am not sure what you are looking for as far in regard to a “little Tokyo” or the like, or what you mean by “markets”. But there certainly is a high concentration of Japanese that live up around the Prom Pong BTS station. Quite a few condo buildings in the area that are predominantly Japanese. With the high concentration of Japanese there are quite a few Japanese noodle shops and restaurants in the area as well, and the Villa Market in the area has a fairly large selection of Japanese food goods. But finding Japanese food goods is pretty easy in Bangkok, the supermarket on top of the Emporium also carries a decent selection, as does the one on top of Istean in Central, and there are others as well. But not really anything like the "China Towns" that have grown up in some of the major cities around the world.

As for having their (Japnese) own red-light district – kind of; Plenty of Japanese punters that frequent the standard areas – Nana, Cowboy, Patpong – actually Soi Thaniya is right in the same area as Patpong, but most of the establishments on Soi Thaniya cater specifically towards the Japanese clientele.

I know there is also a decent sized Korean community down towards Sukhumvit soi 12. The little section of shops by the 7-11 on the corner of Soi 12 has lots of shops (snacks/drinks/ chilli paste), restaurants, and karaoke places that cater to the Koreans. Occasionally famous (well famous in Korea) Koreans can be found visiting these shops (in the soi 12 area) – when that happens you can find small crowds of Koreans hanging around hoping to catch of glimpse of who ever is visiting.

I am not sure what you are looking for as far in regard to a “little Tokyo” or the like, or what you mean by “markets”. But there certainly is a high concentration of Japanese that live up around the Prom Pong BTS station. Quite a few condo buildings in the area that are predominantly Japanese. With the high concentration of Japanese there are quite a few Japanese noodle shops and restaurants in the area as well, and the Villa Market in the area has a fairly large selection of Japanese food goods. But finding Japanese food goods is pretty easy in Bangkok, the supermarket on top of the Emporium also carries a decent selection, as does the one on top of Istean in Central, and there are others as well. But not really anything like the "China Towns" that have grown up in some of the major cities around the world.

As for having their (Japnese) own red-light district – kind of; Plenty of Japanese punters that frequent the standard areas – Nana, Cowboy, Patpong – actually Soi Thaniya is right in the same area as Patpong, but most of the establishments on Soi Thaniya cater specifically towards the Japanese clientele.

I know there is also a decent sized Korean community down towards Sukhumvit soi 12. The little section of shops by the 7-11 on the corner of Soi 12 has lots of shops (snacks/drinks/ chilli paste), restaurants, and karaoke places that cater to the Koreans. Occasionally famous (well famous in Korea) Koreans can be found visiting these shops (in the soi 12 area) – when that happens you can find small crowds of Koreans hanging around hoping to catch of glimpse of who ever is visiting.

Thanks. I am interested in demographics. I always hear of other nationalities setting down roots in Thailand but never who or where. Part of my interest is in my schooling. I will have to travel to Asia to work on my PhD work at some point. I am wondering how many other communities might be strong in number which would mean great access to media and documents in their language. One thing that make me wonder is I watched the movie The Last Life In The Universe in which the main character is a Japanese guy working a Japanese language library in Bangkok. So, if groups are strong in number there perhaps I won't have to travel all the way to say Beijing or Toyko to get the sources I need, thus while I research my wife and children can stay with her family.

The Last Life In The Universe[/i] in which the main character is a Japanese guy working a Japanese language library in Bangkok. So, if groups are strong in number there perhaps I won't have to travel all the way to say Beijing or Toyko to get the sources I need, thus while I research my wife and children can stay with her family.

OMG i just watched "Last Life in the Universe" a few days ago. Great movie, and yes there are a lot of Japanese in this town, probably the biggest Expatriate segment from any country. I spoke to a Japanese executive about a year ago, and his estimate is there are about 50,000 to 60,000 Japanese living in Bangkok alone. I am not surprised, just venture into the maze of Sois between Sukhumvit 23 and 55 and you will see what i mean, almost all the shops in that district have signs in Japanese. There is even a Japanese Village in Soi Prasanmit and also the Fuji Supermarket in Soi 33/1 and all the Japanese restaurants, bakeries, bookshops that cater to that community. The Japs have been here in large numbers since the 70s and many executives come back to retire, and why not, its cheap, great golf courses year round, good food and many Thais speak Japanese too.

The Koreans also have their niche around Soi 12 where a congregation of Korean restaurants operate within a single building complex. I think the Koreans are more on the even-side of Sukhumvit and also further out in the burbs around Bangna and closer to their factories. There are however quite a few Korean establishments on the odd-side like barbecue restaurants, karaokes on Soi 11, and even a Korean butcher on Soi 23.

While the Chinese settled near the Chao Praya and the Palace, the Indians/Sikhs settled further inland at Sukhumvit. Sukhumvit was originally an Indian/Sikh district, thats why they have streets named Nana and Asok which are old family names of the major landowners there. The northern Indian community has existed in Bangkok for a very long time, originally they were mostly merchants in textiles (look at all the tailors) and jewelry but these days many have diversified into industry and most commonly in real estate. Most of the hotels, serviced apartments, and apartment blocks in lower Sukhumvit belong to Indian families. They are extremely wealthy but generally keep a low profile and mix among themselves.

The textile and jewelry trade, originally handled by Indian and Chinese merchants, are increasingly being populated by Africans these days, which is why you start to see a thriving African community around Sukhumvit 3-5, and also in the traditional Chinese jewellery neighbourhood in Bangrak/Silom there are lots of old offices and whole blocks of apartments being occupied by African merchants.

Edited by thedude

Good post "thaibebop",

There is also a Japanese School off Rama 9 Road, the locals call it Soi Nippoon. I should now I lived opposite that school for a few years, but moved now nearer to the New Airport, as me offices are there.

Good luck with your studies, maybe one day you will visit us in Thailand. :D

God Bless :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

The Last Life In The Universe[/i] in which the main character is a Japanese guy working a Japanese language library in Bangkok. So, if groups are strong in number there perhaps I won't have to travel all the way to say Beijing or Toyko to get the sources I need, thus while I research my wife and children can stay with her family.

OMG i just watched "Last Life in the Universe" a few days ago. Great movie, and yes there are a lot of Japanese in this town, probably the biggest Expatriate segment from any country. I spoke to a Japanese executive about a year ago, and his estimate is there are about 50,000 to 60,000 Japanese living in Bangkok alone. I am not surprised, just venture into the maze of Sois between Sukhumvit 23 and 55 and you will see what i mean, almost all the shops in that district have signs in Japanese. There is even a Japanese Village in Soi Prasanmit and also the Fuji Supermarket in Soi 33/1 and all the Japanese restaurants, bakeries, bookshops that cater to that community. The Japs have been here in large numbers since the 70s and many executives come back to retire, and why not, its cheap, great golf courses year round, good food and many Thais speak Japanese too.

The Koreans also have their niche around Soi 12 where a congregation of Korean restaurants operate within a single building complex. I think the Koreans are more on the even-side of Sukhumvit and also further out in the burbs around Bangna and closer to their factories. There are however quite a few Korean establishments on the odd-side like barbecue restaurants, karaokes on Soi 11, and even a Korean butcher on Soi 23.

While the Chinese settled near the Chao Praya and the Palace, the Indians/Sikhs settled further inland at Sukhumvit. Sukhumvit was originally an Indian/Sikh district, thats why they have streets named Nana and Asok which are old family names of the major landowners there. The northern Indian community has existed in Bangkok for a very long time, originally they were mostly merchants in textiles (look at all the tailors) and jewelry but these days many have diversified into industry and most commonly in real estate. Most of the hotels, serviced apartments, and apartment blocks in lower Sukhumvit belong to Indian families. They are extremely wealthy but generally keep a low profile and mix among themselves.

The textile and jewelry trade, originally handled by Indian and Chinese merchants, are increasingly being populated by Africans these days, which is why you start to see a thriving African community around Sukhumvit 3-5, and also in the traditional Chinese jewellery neighbourhood in Bangrak/Silom there are lots of old offices and whole blocks of apartments being occupied by African merchants.

Cool, thanks for the information!

Good post "thaibebop",

There is also a Japanese School off Rama 9 Road, the locals call it Soi Nippoon. I should now I lived opposite that school for a few years, but moved now nearer to the New Airport, as me offices are there.

Good luck with your studies, maybe one day you will visit us in Thailand. :D

God Bless :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Yes! It is my hope to do just that. I have been told because of my studies interest I will have to go to Asia. I am hoping Bangkok being the international city it is will be able to help get the research I need without too many trips to China and Japan, not that I wouldn't want to go, but money is an issue. That means we will be able to save money if my family can live with the in-laws while I do this work, then if I have to I can afford trips to other Asian cities.

Thanks Kan!!

his estimate is there are about 50,000 to 60,000 Japanese living in Bangkok alone.

42,736 registered in the entire country as of Dec. 2007 according to the embassy, making Thailand home to 4th largest Japaense expat community outside Japan after U.S., China and U.K. Embassy estimates there are at least 10,000 more staying over 90 days who aren't registered with the embassy.

There is also a Japanese School off Rama 9 Road, the locals call it Soi Nippoon.

There are two Japanese schools in Thailand, one in Rama 9 (soi 17) as you mentioned and another in Sri Racha.

and many Thais speak Japanese too.

Not really.

Edited by Nordlys

China town BKK, I tink

I wouldn't call China Town an "expat" disctrict per se, most of them will be Thai citizens I imagine.

That seemed to be the case in 2005 when my Shanghai friend toured the back streets of Chinatown in BKK. He could not find a speaker of Mandarin, and doubted there were many Cantonese speakers.

If they do speak Chinese its likely to be Tae Chiew, not Mandarin, given their historic origins, I believe.

China town BKK, I tink

If they do speak Chinese its likely to be Tae Chiew, not Mandarin, given their historic origins, I believe.

Is that a far leap from Mandarin?

China town BKK, I tink

Is that a far leap from Mandarin?

Not sure - but I know there is considerable difference in chinese dialects. Mandarin and Cantonese speakers, for example, don't understand each other.

Wikipedia - Chinese Language

Wikipedia - Teochew (Tae Chiew)

Edited by grtaylor

42,736 registered in the entire country as of Dec. 2007 according to the embassy, making Thailand home to 4th largest Japaense expat community outside Japan after U.S., China and U.K. Embassy estimates there are at least 10,000 more staying over 90 days who aren't registered with the embassy.

I would be surprised if there were more Japanes living in Thailand than there are in Brazil - last time I saw numbers there were nearly 100,000 Japanese in Brazil, and over a million in Brazil of Japanese descent.

I would be surprised if there were more Japanes living in Thailand than there are in Brazil - last time I saw numbers there were nearly 100,000 Japanese in Brazil, and over a million in Brazil of Japanese descent.

You're right. Brazil comes third after U.S. and China at 64,802 (many of whom are permanent resident) as of Oct. 2006.

Thailand, however, comes 4th in terms of the numbers of "long timer stayer" (distinguished from resident alien, I assume) outside Japan.

Here's the source if you read Japanese.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/tokei/hojin/index.html

Edited by Nordlys

According to many Thai historians, from the king down to the beggar, almost every Thai got some Chinese blood. You will be surprise to find out how many Chinese bloods our present & past Prime Minister got.

The Chinese in Thailand are about 70% Teochew, balance are Hakka, Cantonese, Hainan, Fujian.

Teochew- (or Chaozhou in Mandarin) is similar to dialect spoke in Taiwan. Teochew & Mandarin have little similarity. Some older Teochew can understand some Mandarin because of Mandarin movie. Only a few percent of Thai Chinese can read Chinese.

Edited by Kwong

You're right. Brazil comes third after U.S. and China at 64,802 (many of whom are permanent resident) as of Oct. 2006.

Thailand, however, comes 4th in terms of the numbers of "long timer stayer" (distinguished from resident alien, I assume) outside Japan.

Here's the source if you read Japanese.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/tokei/hojin/index.html

Your report is very useful.

Can you tell me in page 18, the city breakdown, what is the 1st, 2nd 4th city?

I can only read

1) ???? capital ring

3)Shanghai上海

5)Hong Kong 香港

Where is Bangkok rank?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Kwong