4-6 months, which visa?

My boyfriend and I are interested in coming to Thailand from Canada for 4-6 months starting May 1 2003. We are not sure whether we want to work or just stay for pleasure.  We have outside monthly income of about $1,200 US and would be arriving with $10,000 available.  We want to live frugally in the islands.  Is this realistic?

I understand the Tourist visa allows us to stay only 3 months legally.  I also understand getting a Non-Immigrant Visa is tough to get without job prospects.  If we do not want to officially work in Thailand, is it possible to renew our Tourist visa for another 3 months by going on a visa run?  Or should we just pay the fine by overstaying?

My other questions are where should we access the forms from Canada?  I do not see a consultate in Canada on the list.  Are there relatively unpopulated islands where you can park your butt on a beach, build a hut and live quietly without being bothered?  If so, where?  Remember, we will be there from May - Oct approx.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Some of your desires conflict slightly.  If your asking about getting a job in Thailand its unlikely you will find one on your remote island near your hut! From what I heard, unless you get hired outside Thailand or set up a company, the only thing you can be employed as here, is an english teacher. Which, from what I heard is equivalent to being paid minimum wage in Canada. The salary is extremely low for us westerners. Save your time ,and just holiday here, and work in Canada.

Im not an expert,  but why cant you just get a double entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Canada. Seems easy enough, use a Visa service if you need to expedite it. And, if you need to stay longer in Thailand just do a border run.

And by the rare chance you get a job on the remote island, you just have to leave the country and visit the thai consulate in Laos and get the proper visa. I think you have to leave no matter what if you want to get any type of new visa status.

By the way $1200 USD is enough to live quite well in Bangkok. I know several people who live on that budget range. And, they are living nicely. Especially if you want to live outside Bangkok, thats a lot of money. Of course I know other people living on four or five times that much a month, that barely get by. But, they are seriously having too much fun and living in apartments that cost over 2000 USD a month. Which, is not necessary.

About living on remote beaches, you might not want to be too far from the long arm of the law. They do have pirates in the waters here. Why not try somewhere a little more populated, like on the island of Phuket.  Lots of tourism, but its a  really big island with open space too. You should come over and check the sea coast out first and see what tickles your interest. Seeing that I dont care for naughty nightlife nor the cheapo tourist scene,  I like Hua Hin. Its free of all the squalor and crap that plagues most of the tourist areas here.  You could start researching areas online or buy some travel books, etc. Best bet is to come over and spend a week or two going up and down the coast. Its not as expensive as you might think. Im sure others have better input than I do, Im a total amateur on the subject, so stay tuned!  :cool:

a further complication is you cannot get a business visa until you find a proposed employer in Thailand before entry  Once you get here and find a job,  it is necessary to go to a  Thai Embassy or Consulate OUTSIDE Thailand. NO reputable Thai  or Farang will employ you unless you have one.   The risk of being caught are too great. Tourists in most countries are not able to work....that includes your country.