Working As A Female Student

Mirka

Hey ladies do you have any ideas?

I'm a 20-year-old Finnish girl seriously considering of starting to study (English Program) here in Thailand, Chiang Mai. I've been here for 6 months now, mainly just for a holiday, but studying some Thai aswell.

I'd like to know if anyone else is in a same kind of situation (studying as an international student) and doing some work aswell? What would be the options for working here as an international student? Any ideas? What do foreign women do for either living or to earn even a bit of pocket money here in Thailand?

Thanks for any kind of advice you can give!

Remember a work permit is required. :o

ok... but let's say I would start teaching English (I thought that would be the most obvious option) wouldn't that place where I would teach English organize the work permit for me?

If you want to teach English then you would be best to just find students at your university that want private classes that you can give to them at uni. If you try and get a real job you are only going to encounter problems, you can make more money doing private tuition anyway and it will fit in better with your studies.

Edited by madjbs

nah, they also have some without degree.. the bad thing about this is that you are student and is more difficult to find part time jobs! I pretty much know this cuz Im also studying...

teach as a particular is good tho :o

nah, they also have some without degree..

it is illegal to get a work permit without a degree. this is irresponsible advice. working as a teacher without a legal work permit puts you in a bad position.

it is illegal to get a work permit without a degree. this is irresponsible advice. working as a teacher without a legal work permit puts you in a bad position.

I agreed with girlx, if you get caught you can be in trouble. Becareful about scam and rip off, you're still young and newbie in thailand.

Here is a link you can look at http://www.thaivisa.com/391.0.html

Edited by Aries74

If you want to teach English then you would be best to just find students at your university that want private classes that you can give to them at uni. If you try and get a real job you are only going to encounter problems, you can make more money doing private tuition anyway and it will fit in better with your studies.

This sounds really good! Thanks! :o

And I assume I don't need any kind of work permit to do this...? I surely hope so! lol

I agreed with girlx, if you get caught you can be in trouble. Becareful about scam and rip off, you're still young and newbie in thailand.

yeah I really don't need any kind of trouble... :o

uhmm..! So, seems like Im the onely one here that knows that MOST of the teachers around are just teaching cuz they are native, and THATS it? well..... then I play blind as well.. and, NO.. I dont teach english, Im not a native.

uhmm..! So, seems like Im the onely one here that knows that MOST of the teachers around are just teaching cuz they are native, and THATS it? well..... then I play blind as well.. and, NO.. I dont teach english, Im not a native.

What exactly is your point here? That I can't give private classes here since I'm not a native? That sounds kind of odd since I know lots of foreigners are teaching English here.... :o

Dancing part time?? :DB):D:D

LOL

whoops

I was logged in with my friend's name :D those comments from MJK were from ME, just to be clear

I suppose this really proves that Im a blonde then :D:burp:

I was going to say, why another person is responding.

Your friend let you do that. :o:D:D

There are plenty of people here who are teaching, who have legal work permits and who do not have a degree.

you might be right but especially lately they have been cracking down... i have read on several websites info like the following:

To obtain a necessary work permit a teacher must first obtain a teacher’s license from the Thai Ministry of Education (MOE).

To qualify for this license, the MOE requires the holder to have both a bachelor’s degree and a TEFL certificate.

A prospective English teacher is not only required to show copies of their degree certificate, but also their transcripts. The review of transcripts is a relatively new phenomenon in a bid to minimize the chances of fake qualifications.

What exactly is your point here? That I can't give private classes here since I'm not a native? That sounds kind of odd since I know lots of foreigners are teaching English here.... :o

lol....you totally missunderstood... my point is that they were saying that no one here in Thailand teach without a degree... which in my opinion is a totally false state.. not that you cant teach cuz you are not a native. I said that I dont do that.. :D

What exactly is your point here? That I can't give private classes here since I'm not a native? That sounds kind of odd since I know lots of foreigners are teaching English here.... :D

lol....you totally missunderstood... my point is that they were saying that no one here in Thailand teach without a degree... which in my opinion is a totally false state.. not that you cant teach cuz you are not a native. I said that I dont do that.. :D

understood now :D lol

I think I better just give some private lessons to someone from my own uni - in that way I wouldn't run into any trouble I hope :o

What exactly is your point here? That I can't give private classes here since I'm not a native? That sounds kind of odd since I know lots of foreigners are teaching English here.... :D

understood now :D lol

I think I better just give some private lessons to someone from my own uni - in that way I wouldn't run into any trouble I hope :o

Yup! good solution.. or like.. post it in some places, is not a big deal you know? is not like they are going after private teachers or something like that.. dont get too scared :D good luck!

Now is not the best time to be talking about what you do or don't need to be an english teacher. The regs have just been changed and right now no-one is sure how strictly they will be enforced. If they are enforced completely you will only be able to teach english if you a) have a teaching degree or B ) if you complete a teaching course in BKK to the tune of about 80k. If you are going down this route you will also need a degree in a relevant subject. There is loads of talk about this on the visa thread.

For extra cash, I would reccommend meeting students through your uni and offering English lessons. Nothing big - just a couple of people for conversation lessons a few times a week. Not legal of course, but not particularly risky either if it is kept low key and casual. Going rates vary, but around 300/400 baht an hour I think is acceptable.