Virtual Map Of Chang Mia

Shrubbery

This link is to a virtual map of Chang Mai which was posted on another forum by a guy called "Dirk"

http://www.mapjack.com/

I'm quite impressed with it. Hopefully in time, further Thai towns & cities will be added.

This is from 'GoogleEarth,' a free program that will show you most everywhere in populated towns and cities around the world. Unfortunately, this map of Chiang Mai, although dated as '2008,' is about three years out of date.... Looking at my house I can see the old movie theater that was torn down more than three years ago, first turning the lot into a market that failed, and now a few bars that are doing fairly well. This is up Huaykaew Road just a few hundred meters east of the Rincom intersection behind the new BBQ restaurant. However, the map is quite detailed if you take these three years into account. I do recommend Google Earth to anyone interested in looking over areas to visit. It is detailed enough that I could find my old apartment building where I grew up, the house I built many years later in New England, and even the small Zen temple in the middle of the bamboo forest next to my house in Japan. It's like looking at my past.

When ever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.... :o

This link is to a virtual map of Chang Mai which was posted on another forum by a guy called "Dirk"

I'm quite impressed with it. Hopefully in time, further Thai towns & cities will be added.

You'll find a reasonable amount of discussion of the site in this earlier thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173406

/ Priceless

This is from 'GoogleEarth,' a free program that will show you most everywhere in populated towns and cities around the world. Unfortunately, this map of Chiang Mai, although dated as '2008,' is about three years out of date.... Looking at my house I can see the old movie theater that was torn down more than three years ago, first turning the lot into a market that failed, and now a few bars that are doing fairly well. This is up Huaykaew Road just a few hundred meters east of the Rincom intersection behind the new BBQ restaurant. However, the map is quite detailed if you take these three years into account. I do recommend Google Earth to anyone interested in looking over areas to visit. It is detailed enough that I could find my old apartment building where I grew up, the house I built many years later in New England, and even the small Zen temple in the middle of the bamboo forest next to my house in Japan. It's like looking at my past.

actually mapjack is different. it's not google earth. it's done by a guy named bjorn who lives in chiang mai - local boy does good. the images on mapjack are only a couple of weeks old. it's awesome. they're going to do other cities in thailand pretty soon.

Wow! this is fantastic.

I left Chiang Mai about a year and a half ago, and while perusing this map I felt the most home-sick I've ever been :o

It's like getting to drive around Chiang Mai, but without the traffic. Though if you want to the reality you can just sit there and watch one photo of huay keow road for ten minutes before clicking again.

This is a great resource for Thailand, as we all know that someone's street address just doesn't cut it in Thai cities. This way you get to see the road before you drive it.

If I had a feature request, it would be to be able to animate your routes, so a drive from point a to point b could be displayed as a movie. I'd find that helpful.

Thanks for tipping me off to this.

JB

You'll find a reasonable amount of discussion of the site in this earlier thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173406

/ Priceless

I did have a quick look on the forum to see if it had been mentioned before, but did not find anything.

Obviously I should have looked harder. Gonna have to get my eyes tested again.

actually mapjack is different. it's not google earth. it's done by a guy named bjorn who lives in chiang mai - local boy does good. the images on mapjack are only a couple of weeks old.

I don't mean to be rude nor do Bjorn any disservice, and perhaps his street photos are recent, but the aerial map shot of Chiang Mai is definitely at least three years out of date. Simply follow Huaykaew Road west past Kad Suen Kaew and right after the traffic light you will see a square structure set back from the road in the middle of a large parking area on the left side. This 'was' a movie theater that was taken down more than three years ago. I live across the street from it and watched it being taken down. Three years ago. After it was taken down, the night market that had been across the street from the Amari Rincome Hotel (you can still see that night market on the corner of Neimanheimen and Huaykaew even though it moved from there three years ago) moved into that large square, failed to thrive and closed up. Now it is a large parking area for a couple of bars. Go there and see for yourself. The theater is long gone. Also, have a look at Thapae Gate area. It shows it before any of the construction that has gone on, along with the U-turn south of it that is now a small park area. The map is the identical shot and format as Google Earth, and although it says 2008 on the bottom, the image was take several years ago.

Edited by FolkGuitar

actually mapjack is different. it's not google earth. it's done by a guy named bjorn who lives in chiang mai - local boy does good. the images on mapjack are only a couple of weeks old. it's awesome. they're going to do other cities in thailand pretty soon.

Many of the images are more than three weeks- or even three years old....

This is very very impressive !

Its just like walking in the streets for real ! Thanks for posting this! :o

It is a remarkable program. I have used Google Earth to plan out walking trips is several cities around the world. It is just like flying over the blocks, giving you a bird's eye view of everything you'd like to see. It's up-to-date for most larger cities too, making it very accurate for route planning.

The Fly Fisherman

This map function is great.

I live in NZ and vehicles marked with Google logo were going down streets taking pix.

Possibly something similar coming about.

I go to Chiang Mai, the pics are brilliant.