3 Killed After Car Plunges Into Canal

george

3 killed after car plunges into canal

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- Three men drowned after their car plunged into a canal in front of Big C department store in Samut Prakan late Saturday night.

The accident happened about 40 minutes after midnight.

Police said the car sank into the canal and the three were trapped inside.

They were identified as Sathien Wisut, Boonthana Jatupakdee and Piyanat Thammarong.

-- The Nation 2008-03-23

uhhh speed & drugs??? and you know this because???? Maybe they hit a pot hole, blew a tire, a wasp flew in and scared the driver.... the list of possibilities is endless. How about we await the cause of the incident? For all you know, they were rushing for the sale on chicken thighs and swerved to miss someone. Jeez.

uhhh speed & drugs??? and you know this because???? Maybe they hit a pot hole, blew a tire, a wasp flew in and scared the driver.... the list of possibilities is endless. How about we await the cause of the incident? For all you know, they were rushing for the sale on chicken thighs and swerved to miss someone. Jeez.

Agreed

This is probably a very tragic accident, please refine from starting rumours untill the official cause of the accident can be found.

Irrespective of whose figures you believe, the rate of fatalities on Thailand's roads is quite staggering.

An average of 30 people die every day on Thailand's roads. This is a conservative estimate.

Irrespective of whose figures you believe, the rate of fatalities on Thailand's roads is quite staggering.

An average of 30 people die every day on Thailand's roads. This is a conservative estimate.

I find that is quite low for a country this size.

Example,

Just in Tennessee for the month of March '08 ..so far.. 202

Daily- 46

and that's just in one state. ( source Tenn. DPS )

Every death is a sad one, no matter where you are.

http://www.grsproadsafety.org/?pageid=28&projectid=28#28

Road Safety Situation

According to official statistics (police), 12,858 people were killed in road crashes in 2005. However the real number might even be higher. According to documentation from the health sector, the real death toll could be 20,000 or more if victims who die after being removed from the crash scene are included.

So, it can range from 35 to 55 killed on the road.

http://www.easts.info/on-line/journal_06/3453.pdf

New Year Holidays pick at 80-90 deaths per day.

Yes indeed Emperor Tud.

I erred on the conservative side as I didn't want to get into a flaming war with a passing "Utopian" but your comments on the figures are quite correct.

gpdJohn

Regarding the figures for Tennessee, I would be very surprised if the per capita death rate for Tennessee outstripped that of Thailand. The figures for March could be a spike caused by a spate of accidents or bad weather. One would need to look at the long-term stats.

In fact I'll see if I can find some now.

Thailand has one of the worst road accident rates in the World.

Out of interest, and to put it into perspective just how dangerous Thailand's roads are, in the UK in 2005 there were 3,201 fatalities. There are many more cars on British roads and there are almost double the amount of cars per capita.

But I suspect Thailand has many more motorbikes and that the majority of deaths on Thai roads are related to motorbike accidents.

Well here's the stats for the USA. The key indicator seems to be the per capita rate which is number of annual road deaths per 100,000

USA 2004 14.52

USA 2003 14.75

USA 2002 14.94

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20se...s/stats-usa.htm

Here's some stats for Thailand. As Emperor Tud has pointed out there is widespread acceptance of the fact that the Thai figures are under-reported as there is no rigorous statistical collection. Omissions relate to fatalities that died later, not at the scene of the accident, fatalities when the police were not called and fatalities simply unrecorded

Thailand 1996 28

http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_anal...AsiaPacific.htm

Thailand 2004 20

http://www.adb.org/Documents/News/2004/nr2004155.asp

And finally some figures from the UK

UK 2005 4.92

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5387568.stm

We have the worst time of the year coming up next month, where sadly, close to one hundred people will die every day over Songkhran. It's supposed to be a fun festival, but with so many people driving to their home provinces...well we have all seen the tragic results. Maybe this year it will be different, we can only hope.....

My apologies for messing up everyones statistical quest (which, by the way, is interesting), but is the Big C on Suksawat? The one about 3 or 4 Km from the new bridge? If it is, they would have had to breach the cement barrier on the bridge.

My condolences to the family and friends. Deaths like these are always so unnecessary.

I wonder how many children are killed a year riding on the front of motorbikes? Are these figures ever reported? I thought it was the duty of every goverment to protect children so if there is a law to stop chilren from being slaughtered why is this law never enforced here. Can you imgine what they would do to me if I rode a motorbike down any high street in the UK with child perched on the front of a motorbike holding on to the rear view mirrors?? Throw away the key?????

I wonder how many children are killed a year riding on the front of motorbikes? Are these figures ever reported? I thought it was the duty of every goverment to protect children so if there is a law to stop chilren from being slaughtered why is this law never enforced here. Can you imgine what they would do to me if I rode a motorbike down any high street in the UK with child perched on the front of a motorbike holding on to the rear view mirrors?? Throw away the key?????

What do you think these people can do with a child when they go shopping etc. etc. The poor on the motorbikes are doing the best they can to get through life on 200 to 300 baht per day. They do not have a car to strap that child in the back seat when they go shopping. You seem to think more laws will help save lives? You sound like you are from the government wanting to controll everyone. The other thing is they are in Thailand and not in the UK.

Give them a break.

Concerning the deaths in the canal in front of Big C, you quoted a statistic from Tennessee.

Are you from Tennessee???? Just curious as I will be heading to Spring Hill during April to see a dear friend.

Can there be one other Southerner in CRai??? If so, let's trade barbeque restaurant names in CMai!!

Thailand has one of the worst road accident rates in the World.

Out of interest, and to put it into perspective just how dangerous Thailand's roads are, in the UK in 2005 there were 3,201 fatalities. There are many more cars on British roads and there are almost double the amount of cars per capita.

These figures are even more horrific if you factor in the land area of the two countries. Surely the vehicle density per square kilometre must be taken into consideration.

Concerning the deaths in the canal in front of Big C, you quoted a statistic from Tennessee.

Are you from Tennessee???? Just curious as I will be heading to Spring Hill during April to see a dear friend.

Can there be one other Southerner in CRai??? If so, let's trade barbeque restaurant names in CMai!!

Na, that was me, from Arizona..but my next door neighbor is from North Carolina..a true tar heel southerner, sometimes even need a translator to understand him...

So, yep'er, thar r sutherners hera y'all... :o

( just waiting for him to bring over a sweet potato pie or maybe a moon pie...)

What do you think these people can do with a child when they go shopping etc. etc. The poor on the motorbikes are doing the best they can to get through life on 200 to 300 baht per day. They do not have a car to strap that child in the back seat when they go shopping. You seem to think more laws will help save lives? You sound like you are from the government wanting to controll everyone. The other thing is they are in Thailand and not in the UK.

Give them a break.

Completely understand both sides..

Still freaks me out to see it.

The death rate in Thailand is so high cos of the ammount of motorcyclists killed.

We can't really compare with UK where the ammount of motorcycles is a lot less.

Over 40,000 die on US roads each year, I don't know what percentage are motorcyclists, but I am sure I've heard that over 70% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcyclists.

An estimated 1.2 Million people die in road accidents worldwide per year, according to the W.H.O.

Edited by Maigo6

The number of deaths is irrelevant really if we are discussing traffic accident figures. The death rate in comparison to the accident rate is higher than most other countries because of the preponderance of motor cyclists.

It seems to me that most Thais have little or no lateral vision and they seem to use their brains as rarely as they use their rear view mirrors. I am thinking of fitting my truck with the same warning device as used by buses. That should give one or two a laundry problem.

Well here's the stats for the USA. The key indicator seems to be the per capita rate which is number of annual road deaths per 100,000

USA 2004 14.52

USA 2003 14.75

USA 2002 14.94

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20se...s/stats-usa.htm

Here's some stats for Thailand. As Emperor Tud has pointed out there is widespread acceptance of the fact that the Thai figures are under-reported as there is no rigorous statistical collection. Omissions relate to fatalities that died later, not at the scene of the accident, fatalities when the police were not called and fatalities simply unrecorded

Thailand 1996 28

http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_anal...AsiaPacific.htm

Thailand 2004 20

http://www.adb.org/Documents/News/2004/nr2004155.asp

And finally some figures from the UK

UK 2005 4.92

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5387568.stm

Statistics can be made to show whatever you want. I would venture to suggest that statistics published in the UK (or any other OECD or "developed" country) would be pretty accurate.

Thailand is notorious for under reporting for most things ranging from bird flu to foreigners being murdered and particularly so in the case of road accidents.

It has been said on more than one occasion that if you are in a road accident and make it to hospital and subsequently die, that it is not classified as a road traffic death.