A Week By The Seaside

benbaaa

Hi, I'm a new poster on this board.

I'm a frang teacher in Thailand, and I'm taking the family (wife, step-daughter and sister-in-law) for a week by the seaside, and we're planning to stay in Cha-am and/or Hua Hin. I'd like some suggestions for a nice clean quiet bungalow operation or hotel where I can get a decent little a/c room for under about 600 baht a night.

Can anyone help?

Also: things to do and see in the 10% of my time when I'm not lazing around consuming seafood and beer.

Cheers!

benbaaa

:o

I used to put my customers up at the "Blue Wave Resort " everything is a resort . But is is clean, well priced and has a family atmosphere.

If you had alot of money to spend I would suggest the Sofitel, but it is ALOT of money.

Also: things to do and see in the 10% of my time when I'm not lazing around consuming seafood and beer.

Things to do... why not visit the waterfall at Pala U.. or the royal residence of Rama VI ... or even visit the monkeys at the temple at Khao Takiab.. :D

...You could even ride the horses on the beach.... :o

have fun...

totster :D

Personally don't like Sofitel although is right on the beachfront. Lack of atmosphere ans good service.

If budget is not a problem rather stay in Hilton ( next to Sofitel) with everything surrounding.

Marriot is as good to but must take a shamlor if you want to stay near the action area.

Or finally Hyatt Regency (but a little bit far from downtown).

Hi Benbaa:

3 different reports I found for you:

Hyatt Regency

Pros: Modern, large grounds, privacy, plenty of greenery

Cons: Distance from downtown

Hilton

Pros: Prime location, balconies looking over the ocean, home to the Hua Hin brewery!

Cons: Bit crowded, too much concrete.

Sofitel

Pros: Great location, vast grounds, Colonial style, superb meat pies by the pool!

Cons: A bit formal, lacks atmosphere

Marriott

Pros: Lively Acapulco feel, cheaper than the above three, deep pool

Cons: Small rooms (Holiday Inn style), too crowded

My preference is for the Hyatt or Hilton.

2nd report:

While VERY expensive in Thai standards, still cheap compared to Honolulu. I'm a business traveler and stay at Hilton hotels all over. The Hilton Hua Hin is by FAR the nicest of any I've ever stayed. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is my favorite of all Waikiki hotels, and the Paris Las Vegas is terrific as well. But the Hilton Hua Hin puts both of those to shame. Hardwood floors, nice lanais, great pool w/chaise lounges and umbrellas and swim up bar/food. While several of the restaurants there were good, the food at the brewery was poor. Make sure you get your CIPRO and get out and take in the local food. I enjoyed the food at the night market and on the piers. Far better and cheaper than at the hotel. You can get a whole steamed fish with shoyu, ginger etc. for about $3 (which is probably still expensive in thai standards.

The Hilton is guest friendly and is directly across from the girly bar area. It is also directly across from a couple of legit massage places. I think a 1hr full body thai massage was about 300 baht = approx $7.50 compared to about $60 at the hotel spa.

All three properties are beachfront. The Marriott is 10 minutes stroll to the south and tends to be family oriented - fairly small pool with lots of children.

Sofitel Central Village is bungalow style right in the centre of town - you can use the facilities of Sofitel Central Hotel next door.

Anantara is beautiful low-rise resort about 10 minutes by car to the north of town, and is probably my favourite.

Similar in standard is Dusit Resort & Polo Club about 15 minutes by car to the north of town.

Agreed with the 2nd report: Hyatt or Hilton.

And finally my report:

For sure I would choose Hyatt Regency.

Regarding staff better than Sofitel.Hyatt staff is more helpful, very very friendly,always with a smile.

HYATT: STAFF :wub: always by your side when you seek for help. You don't need to find the staff.Swimming pool very good and big pools, brilliant Interconnecting one and so big that you could find your own private nook and enjoy the peace.

. :D Safe for children and very good environment.Good to take pictures.Room are good even if you stay on the ground-floor (room access pool good).

-_- Breakfast time: You will feel great when you have someone who is welcoming you everyday and even knowing that you're at the hotel for more than 5 days(this happen with us) still want to help you in everything you need. You can have what you want by asking the staff they will bring it to you. You're like a queen or king

:D ROOM SERVICE: service two times per day with all you need like shampoo, lotion, shaver, sweeing material, conditioner.

CONCLUSION:impression of the resort was that it looked AWESOME and the staff and facilities were top notch and the service was exceptional

:D SOFITEL CENTRAL:

Sofitel lack of all of this and not very helpful except a guy from the garden wing swimming pool. Always pay attention to people arriving at the swimming pool and preparing all the towels and umbrellas without u asking for them (i didn't find this in the railway pool and always need to find the staff). Have to ask many times for a simple service at the reception.

Please do check your account as I got a special rate for a programme launched by the Accor hotels and they charged me normal price. I have to tell them and show them the confirmation. I didn't expected a hotel of 5 stars(?) like this. All should be perfect and all at your service.

BREAKFAST TIME: Need to wait for your time for instance for a scrambled egg. Don't guess that they will fry an egg for you. Eat what you have in the plate unless they don't have anymore.

They are not willing to help you sometimes. :o

ROOM SERVICE: We were in the room and they went inside our room to make the room service. No privacy. Think they were in a hurry for finishing the service and go back home. :D

In conclusion: To stay again, we 3 complete families of 15 persons, no doubt Hyatt even the distance is not a major problem. Everyday my husband walk from Hyatt to Hilton without any problem by the beach.

Along the main strip of Cha-Am there is a bunch of 'motels, guest houses' around 500 baht. Nothing to fancy but u get a/c, hot water and cable. Recently stopped over for one night (can't remember the name) but two rooms for 1000 baht Much better to go during the week as prices go up on the weekend with the Bangkok crowd

Benbaa, Cha-am is only a stones throw from Hua Hin. Think about 3 days in one place and 4 in the other.

Just turn up at the Cha-am seafront and check out the hotels and GHs, there's a lot within walking distance of each other.