A Money Problem

Having recently been on a trip to the USA, I had some spare cash left over that I want to change back to baht now that I'm home.

However, on one of the $50's some knucklehead has drawn a mustache in biro.

Now, nobody (of the half-dozen money changers that I tried) will change it for baht. Besides using it when I NEXT go overseas, what can I do with it now? Anyone know anywhere that's more lax in the quality of bills they will accept?

I had the same problem recently with a 50 pound note with a thick pen mark on it, partially though the Queen's pic if I recall rightly. Only tried two places before someone took it though. Think as ever it was Kasikorn Bank that came to the rescue.

Maybe this is because money changers will use the same notes to give out to people and will have trouble getting rid of it. I would guess with banks the money goes elsewhere? Not to sure about that but try a bank anyway.

Having recently been on a trip to the USA, I had some spare cash left over that I want to change back to baht now that I'm home.

Now, nobody (of the half-dozen money changers that I tried) will change it for baht. Besides using it when I NEXT go overseas, what can I do with it now? Anyone know anywhere that's more lax in the quality of bills they will accept?

See if the US embassy can help you convert it too Baht. Go see the cashier near the ACS section.

See if the US embassy can help you convert it too Baht. Go see the cashier near the ACS section.

Soak it in a saucer with brake fluid overnight, then rinse and allow to dry.... :o

US bank notes are quite tough (made of mixed fibers like cotton etc.) and can be cleaned with various solvents, some experiments might fade the offending marks. Depending on the hassle factor - you might try offering it at a reduced rate?

Indeed the origin of the phrase "to launder money" comes from early American gambling dens where the dirty well used bills were cleaned and pressed to make them pretty for the punters.

Anyone that has handled large amounts of money will know how dirty and smelly it gets. This is without the various traces of drugs that are found on the bills in circulation in many countries.

Ill give you 40 quid for it ! :o

Ill give you 40 quid for it ! :D

That's about $80 :o

Ill give you 40 quid for it ! :D

That's about $80 :o

The brake fluid does work, tried and tested................used years ago with car tax dogers in uk, to swap tax disks between cars as the car numbers were written in biro!!!! :D

The brake fluid does work, tried and tested................used years ago with car tax dogers in uk, to swap tax disks between cars as the car numbers were written in biro!!!! :o

I'm scared to try ... at the moment, outside of thailand it's worth $50. If I destroy it, it'll be worth $0 outside of Thailand too!

But I suppose it's only $50. Now to locate brake fluid ...