Samui's A Great Place

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE samui.......if you don't and live here....MOVE!!!!!

easy really .

why moan when you can vote with your feet?..... :D

I used to love Samui, BUT the Island is turning into what it shouldn't be! And when you've settled down here, it isn't as easy to move, as you think.....Think about it! :o

Home is where the heart is.

OR

Home is where you hang your hat.

IN OTHER WORDS

Home is in your heart, not on some island somewhere.

You can enjoy life in a cardboard box in the middle of a desert if you have a mind to do so.

And, moving IS easy. Just put one foot in front of the other, eh?

cheers :-)

1. after spending 3 weeks in the uk ,

2. not having left samui for 10 years ,

3. samui is a great place to live ,warts and all

1. did the UK change, in your opinion ? and was Samui changed after 3 weeks...? :D

2. :D

3. :D

4. :o

LaoPo

easy really .

why moan when you can vote with your feet?..... :o

So, who's moaning cowsh$t?

The only moaning and bloodshed I can see is on your avatar Dominator :D

LaoPo

Everywhere changes!

Depending on the strentgh of the drink :o

And the quantity consumed! :D

"The quantity consumed", YES, like HOW many ppl there is to ruin this beautiful Isle! :D

I works two ways

Up till 1989 when the airport opened it was a quiet island. I arrived just after it opened and just loved the tranquility and still quiet Chaweng beach.

Bophut was a sleepy little wooden-housed village. That's less than 20 years ago.

Friends of mine traveled by ferry way before me and there was nothing except millions of coconut trees, some fishermen villages and empty beaches.

But prosperity came, also for it's inhabitants as well as greed, money, motobikes, cars and, finally....Tesco. When a global company like Tesco decides to put one of their outlets somewhere they've done their homework and it means they decided there must be enough -total- buying power from local Samuians, Expats, tourists and even small shop owners (....) to make the set-up profitable.

If people (like me) like the more tranquil places, we have to move forward and discover 'new' places like Samui and Phuket, 30 years ago, but, it will become more and more difficult to find such places.

30 years ago very few people traveled such a far distance just for holidays; no more...EVERYBODY does it and I think everybody who can afford it is entitled to it, not just us, (once) Samui lovers. I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose.

LaoPo

Everywhere changes!

"The quantity consumed", YES, like HOW many ppl there is to ruin this beautiful Isle! :D

I works two ways

Up till 1989 when the airport opened it was a quiet island. I arrived just after it opened and just loved the tranquility and still quiet Chaweng beach.

Bophut was a sleepy little wooden-housed village. That's less than 20 years ago.

Friends of mine traveled by ferry way before me and there was nothing except millions of coconut trees, some fishermen villages and empty beaches.

But prosperity came, also for it's inhabitants as well as greed, money, motobikes, cars and, finally....Tesco. When a global company like Tesco decides to put one of their outlets somewhere they've done their homework and it means they decided there must be enough -total- buying power from local Samuians, Expats, tourists and even small shop owners (....) to make the set-up profitable.

If people (like me) like the more tranquil places, we have to move forward and discover 'new' places like Samui and Phuket, 30 years ago, but, it will become more and more difficult to find such places.

30 years ago very few people traveled such a far distance just for holidays; no more...EVERYBODY does it and I think everybody who can afford it is entitled to it, not just us, (once) Samui lovers. I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose.

LaoPo

LOOK AT NEW YORK'S "MADHATTEN" ISLAND(OR NYC) can you see Samui like this?, I can, but DON'T want to!! :D

Everywhere changes!

I works two ways

LaoPo

laopo so well put, i have been here many years also but i guess here is progress and what we looked for some years ago is somewhere else now for with respect the younger to discover. i hope so anyway, i hope there is somewhere for them. im sure there is.

Everywhere changes!

I works two ways

LaoPo

Laopo, I somehow agree with your post. I mean, ok, it wasn´t tesco from Uk that came here and had done there homework, it was the (thai) tesco-lotus that opened in Samui, but nevertheless they probably saw where Samui was going, aswell as they already now got their eyes on for instans koh pagnan. Good or bad. At the same time, we like to have the goodies from around home availible, we also tend to think it is a bad thing, and im like you, after all my real estate millions made in Samui, still i say im somewhere in the middle i guess. On one hand it was a more plesent place 20 years ago, on the other hand i remember sitting back then and saying it would be nice to be able to buy a real sausage for tonights bbq.

All and all:

I left Samui for Hua Hin. Im still not convinced it was a good descision. But year after year with issues mostly about that rules was never set (buisness-wise mostly but also privatly, everybody know that the law of Thailand is not excisting on these islands, im talking about everything from immigration,police,taxi, etc,etc) made me thinking that maybe the mainland was a better choice, im still not sure.

Still I say Samui is a great place. I just been back with a short stop in places like choumpun, koh pagnan (big holiday destinations), and i have to say that people living in a place like koh samui and not appreciating it should move. You guys have:

1. Best beaches in Thailand all year around with no comparission.

2. Food. Western, Italian, Mexican, European, Thai, list goes on and on with many choises in every category.

3. Lifestyle. Still the relaxed Thai-island lifestyle. Backpackers did´nt riun it, they where to busy with destroying kohpagnan.

Enjoy as long as you live there, i did and i still enjoy it coming back from time to time, and im not yet certain if i even will move back some day.

Op: yes, Samui is a great place!

/Easer

LOOK AT NEW YORK'S "MADHATTEN" ISLAND(OR NYC) can you see Samui like this?, I can, but DON'T want to!! :D

Well, that's a bit overdone isn't it ? :D

Personally I don't think Samui is too bad, still. Don't forget that the locals must have been in total shock for about 5 years to a decade, after the opening of the airport, back in '89, seeing all those people arriving at their coconut island. But arrivals went up gradually, not in 1 shock so they had some time to adjust.

They didn't understand.... :D why on earth would those stupid white people lie down on the hot sand and burn their fragile bodies in the dangerous sun :D ??

But they learned fast and didn't care anymore as long as they paid 2 times the normal price of a single coconut or a couple of bananas, papaya and a plate of Kaw Pad....

They saw those Farang spending money as if it was growing from the trees and they were even stupid enough to buy land on the beach which was worthless in their eyes...

But, all in all, tourism in Thailand isn't too bad yet if I look at tourist countries like Spain or France.

Spain has 40 million people and receives 50 million foreign tourists/year; France has even more foreign tourists (at least 75 million) but has 64 Million people, about the same as Thailand ! Spain a little smaller in size, France a bit larger than Thailand.

Thailand has, what...? about 12-14 million tourists and Samui...how many ? Isn't it 1,2 Million ?

Not so bad, still.

Infrastructure...? of course it's still bad, but we can't blame the locals. The roads weren't fit to receive such an enormous bunch of people in such a short period of time. I compare Samui with Ibiza which underwent about the same in the past (but Ibiza has a much shorter period of tourism). 30-35 years ago until about 5-10 years ago the roads were a drama and equally dangerous as Samui. It takes time to improve.

Note:

The development of Samui, and Phuket earlier, reminds me of the words/song in a piece of fabulous music by Dire Straits:

"Telegraph Road"

ps: if you want to listen, start at 02.15m out of 05.05m..... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Well, that's a bit overdone isn't it ? :D

Personally I don't think Samui is too bad, still. Don't forget that the locals must have been in total shock for about 5 years to a decade, after the opening of the airport, back in '89, seeing all those people arriving at their coconut island. But arrivals went up gradually, not in 1 shock so they had some time to adjust.

They didn't understand.... :D why on earth would those stupid white people lie down on the hot sand and burn their fragile bodies in the dangerous sun :D ??

But they learned fast and didn't care anymore as long as they paid 2 times the normal price of a single coconut or a couple of bananas, papaya and a plate of Kaw Pad....

They saw those Farang spending money as if it was growing from the trees and they were even stupid enough to buy land on the beach which was worthless in their eyes...

But, all in all, tourism in Thailand isn't too bad yet if I look at tourist countries like Spain or France.

Spain has 40 million people and receives 50 million foreign tourists/year; France has even more foreign tourists (at least 75 million) but has 64 Million people, about the same as Thailand ! Spain a little smaller in size, France a bit larger than Thailand.

Thailand has, what...? about 12-14 million tourists and Samui...how many ? Isn't it 1,2 Million ?

Not so bad, still.

Infrastructure...? of course it's still bad, but we can't blame the locals. The roads weren't fit to receive such an enormous bunch of people in such a short period of time. I compare Samui with Ibiza which underwent about the same in the past (but Ibiza has a much shorter period of tourism). 30-35 years ago until about 5-10 years ago the roads were a drama and equally dangerous as Samui. It takes time to improve.

Note:

The development of Samui, and Phuket earlier, reminds me of the words/song in a piece of fabulous music by Dire Straits:

"Telegraph Road"

ps: if you want to listen, start at 02.15m out of 05.05m..... :o

LaoPo

Yeah, I've heard it, LaoPo. Thanks for the link to those who haven't. But apparently you don't seem to understand the moral of this song, or I think you do, but enjoy the western way of life now on Samui, but do you enjoy the rush hours?

Have a nice day while it's possible. I to love Samui......but it's getting out of hand...GREED!? :D

Its the rate of development which I think is the most noticable and arguably most damaging aspect affecting Samui. The infrastructure (roads, traffic, water etc.) has not been able to keep up with the densly developed and populated areas especially around the east side of the island eg. Maenam, Bophut and Chaweng, which has been fueled by wealth creation, and I think that the island is now suffering because of the lack of pre-planning and regulation to address this problem. However the west side of Samui (between Lamai and Nathon) is still relatively untouched and unpopulated, whereby many areas still have the charm and beauty which make living/visiting here a pleasurable experience. There is a fine balance between "progress" vs quality of life...and hopefully this can be achieved before all the islands unique natural beauty disappear into a cement mixer.

easy really .

why moan when you can vote with your feet?..... :D

So, who's moaning cowsh$t?

The only moaning and bloodshed I can see is on your avatar Dominator :D

LaoPo

LaoPo, I don't see Dominator moaning, he's just pointing out that 'Kowpat' in English means 'Cowsh$t'

I always laugh when my g/f orders it. :o:D

Yeah, I've heard it, LaoPo. Thanks for the link to those who haven't. But apparently you don't seem to understand the moral of this song, or I think you do, but enjoy the western way of life now on Samui, but do you enjoy the rush hours?

Have a nice day while it's possible. I to love Samui......but it's getting out of hand...GREED!? :o

You're right, maybe I do miss the moral of the song. I meant to say that the beginning in 'Telegraph Road' is like the development on Samui, ever increasing.

".......made a home in the wilderness....."

"...he never went further, he never went back..."

"....than came the churches than came the schools...than came the lawyers than came the rules..."

Well, except for the latter of course :D

LaoPo

Have a nice day while it's possible. I to love Samui......but it's getting out of hand...GREED!? :D

You're right, maybe I do miss the moral of the song. I meant to say that the beginning in 'Telegraph Road' is like the development on Samui, ever increasing.

".......made a home in the wilderness....."

"...he never went further, he never went back..."

"....than came the churches than came the schools...than came the lawyers than came the rules..."

Well, except for the latter of course :D

LaoPo

Hahaha, yeah, what WOULD we do without Thai Lawyers :o:D

Edited by SamuiJens

Having spent 6 days in Samui last week, i can safely say that Samui is a DUMP !! roads, traffic, construction and the general dirtyness of the place !! how do you people live there?? what is so great about Samui?? I have lived in Nakhon Si Thammarat for 5 years and i thought it was a shit-hole of a place UNTIL my trip to Samui!! I first went to Samui 12 years ago and it was still nice, but nowadays its a mess......... :o:D