Gay's Marriage

my boyfriend is British and i am native thai and so we want to know about gay's marriage and my bf want to stay and work in thailand what should we do? pls advise us

thanks

Nomad

Nothing you can do.

There is no government recognized gay marriage in Thailand. For your BF to stay and work here he needs to qualify in some other way (see the main section of the forums)

Your boyfriend can find plenty of advice about jobs in the JOBS section of this forum, and about teaching jobs in the TEACHING section. That way he can figure out how to get a work-related visa.

There isn't any relationship-based visa for gay men wanting to stay together in Thailand. I believe there may be in Britain, but your boyfriend will be able to find out more about that than you by contacting his embassy, or by checking information in the VISA sections here.

You could go to Vietnam and have a Civil Partnership (gay marriage) at the British Embassy there but its not recognized in Thailand. Your government wouldnt allow the British Embassy in Thailand to perform the ceremony! Thats something gay Thais should be fighting for but thats another topic.

If he wants to stay here then, as has been said already, its the visa and work permit route which is difficult if he wants to work and hasnt got a degree and I wouldnt recommend if he hasnt. You could also apply for a visa to the UK to have the CP there, a CP visa valid for 6 months. The benefits for the CP is that you would get his pension and any inheritance when he dies, which is the main reason for having the CP.

Good Luck

my boyfriend is British and i am native thai and so we want to know about gay's marriage and my bf want to stay and work in thailand what should we do? pls advise us

thanks

Nomad

The only option you have is civil partnership at the British Embassy in Vietnam. But it won't give any rights here in Thailand. You can read this thread about how it is done: http://www.dragoncastle.net/gayforum/viewtopic.php?id=17

You could go to Vietnam and have a Civil Partnership (gay marriage) at the British Embassy there but its not recognized in Thailand. Your government wouldnt allow the British Embassy in Thailand to perform the ceremony! Thats something gay Thais should be fighting for but thats another topic.

If he wants to stay here then, as has been said already, its the visa and work permit route which is difficult if he wants to work and hasnt got a degree and I wouldnt recommend if he hasnt. You could also apply for a visa to the UK to have the CP there, a CP visa valid for 6 months. The benefits for the CP is that you would get his pension and any inheritance when he dies, which is the main reason for having the CP.

Good Luck

Chrischonburi sounds like you know a little about visas to the UK? I am going through this process at the moment with my Lao bf. We will be applying for a tourist/marriage visa. This is a tourist visa that allows you to also get married or have a CP. HOwever you have to stipulate before hand the date of the marriage/CP ceremony and as I am in Thailand that is a bit of a problem. Any idea's?

You could go to Vietnam and have a Civil Partnership (gay marriage) at the British Embassy there but its not recognized in Thailand. Your government wouldnt allow the British Embassy in Thailand to perform the ceremony!

Not quite accurate. I asked the UK embassy recently about this. They cannot perform marriages or civil partnerships in Bangkok, and its the same in in many other UK embassies around the world. There is a (short) list online where it can be done. So there is no prejudice against gays here, and the reasons are much more complicated that saying the Thai government won't give permission; it also involves Foreign Office policy.

The benefits for the CP is that you would get his pension and any inheritance when he dies, which is the main reason for having the CP.

Good Luck

Not strictly true, the 2007 Pension Reform Act made many changes to the pension law including dependants, after 2010 there is no dependants allowance, however couples can apply for means tested benefits which will be reassesed on a regular basis. In addition the age which one can receive a pension is being increased gradually from around 2020 I think with the end result being state pension for both men and women at the age of 68. On the question of a private pension, that is a different ball game and depends on the conditions set by the provider when the pension was set up.

You could go to Vietnam and have a Civil Partnership (gay marriage) at the British Embassy there but its not recognized in Thailand. Your government wouldnt allow the British Embassy in Thailand to perform the ceremony!

Not quite accurate. I asked the UK embassy recently about this. They cannot perform marriages or civil partnerships in Bangkok, and its the same in in many other UK embassies around the world. There is a (short) list online where it can be done. So there is no prejudice against gays here, and the reasons are much more complicated that saying the Thai government won't give permission; it also involves Foreign Office policy.

At first i didnt quite get your point but then the penny dropped. You thought I was comparing gays and straights getting married at the British Embassy. Straights can get married in Thailand and its used for visa applications gays cant get married here and so when applying for a settlement visa is very difficult proving the length of the relationship. Having a CP in Thailand would help this. Gay Thais should be fighting for equal rights.

That said, I see your point but straights have it relatively easy compared to gays in Thailand.

Good Luck

Chrischonburi sounds like you know a little about visas to the UK? I am going through this process at the moment with my Lao bf. We will be applying for a tourist/marriage visa. This is a tourist visa that allows you to also get married or have a CP. HOwever you have to stipulate before hand the date of the marriage/CP ceremony and as I am in Thailand that is a bit of a problem. Any idea's?

My bf is applying for a settlement visa at the moment but from what I recall about CP's you have to be in the UK 7 days before giving notice for a CP and then 15 days before registering. So it looks like 22+ days. I think the visa is valid for 6 months so as you both have to be in the UK before you can gve notice, I would just pick a date that suits you after the qualifying period. Your bf could also ask the Visa section when he hands in his application just to make sure. Seems a stupid question to me but then there are a few of those on the form.

If you believe that then you are sadly mistaken!

I was refering to the Embassy/FO policy. It applies equally to marriages and civil partnerships. Every contact I've had in this respect with the Bangkok and Hanoi embassies has been more than helpful.

I was refering to the Embassy/FO policy. It applies equally to marriages and civil partnerships. Every contact I've had in this respect with the Bangkok and Hanoi embassies has been more than helpful.

The British Embassy in Bangkok and Hanoi were both excellent when it came to my dealings with them on the subject of Civil Partnerships. The people i spoke to there all expressed their frustrations at the fact that Thailand has a policy of not allowing foreign embassies to perform Civil Unions for their own nationals and are working hard to change this. No doubt it will be a case of "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours", deals will have to be made and in the mean time we'll all just have to live in hope. As i've said before , the constitution here in Thailand says that "all" will be treated equally irrespective of their sexual orientation.Gay people in Thailand have to fight a bit harder for their rights if they want things to change, don't hold your breath though! I can't ever see same sex marriage being recognised here.

My bf is applying for a settlement visa at the moment but from what I recall about CP's you have to be in the UK 7 days before giving notice for a CP and then 15 days before registering. So it looks like 22+ days. I think the visa is valid for 6 months so as you both have to be in the UK before you can gve notice, I would just pick a date that suits you after the qualifying period. Your bf could also ask the Visa section when he hands in his application just to make sure. Seems a stupid question to me but then there are a few of those on the form.

Faced with a similar problem, (of having to spend so long in UK), we opted for the Vietnam solution, and even though you have to attain "Vietnamese residency" by staying 7 days before it is posted on the embassy/consulate notice board for 2 (3?) weeks, for us it was easier and cheaper flying between Bangkok and HCMC/Hanoi twice, than going to UK and the flight costs etc. The Consulate in HCMC were very helpful, and the actual procedure ("ceremony" - but up to you what you do), was straightforward.....or should that be "gayforward"?

Edited by samtam

thanks

Nomad

Hello Nomads

At the moment there's no Gay Marriage or Civil Partnership in Thailand. Accordingly he needs to work on he Visa process as a single person.

Anyway, I don't know if this will work pout or not but i think it's worth trying to find out about creating a commercial partnership between both of you.

I have actually heard many stories that when one of the couple pass away, the other was left with nothing. According to Thai law, a non married person's property will go to their family or registered couple. The non-registered couple claim is allowed for straight couples but not for gays.. I don't want to speak about death here but It maybe useful to make sure in the will or contract which piece of property belongs to your lover in case that you're gone or vice versa

good luck na, I am Thai too :-)

• 1 month later...
If by establishments you're talking about places to stay nearly all places in Thailand are gay friendly. It's just not a problem the way it is in the West. Do a google on 'dreadedned'.

Hey, thanks for the link. I'll send it off to him. I think all areas of Thailand are pretty gay safe nowadays...especially with the whole Katoey hiso culture and whatnot.