Living On Us$1000 Per Month

Gary74

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll not be "the prince of the North" but it's possible. Just find an accomodation in the 5000bahts range and don't hope a girlie in your bed everynight. :o

I live with this but in a village with my wife, the house and motorbike are paid and we mostly cook ourself. She has also her own money.

I have live in chiang for a long time . I stay in a small apartment i sent for 75usd a month and average meal a day is 2-3usd if you stick to local food instead of tourist food .used to be visa run every month . Boy i miss those days doing border crossing . Get yourself a small motorcycle which can save you rip off transport . Control you beer intake or stick to local brand . Personally i like Leo beer . Cost me about 1usd a large bottle enough for two mug . If you need help with second hand low mileages motorcycle you can pm me i can help you . So to you question . I say more then enough for simple life

I'm thinking about retiring soon in Chiang Mai. Is US$1000 per month enough to live off? I have no dependents and in good health. I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.

Yes and No

Unless you have something more in the bank account, you won't be able to get a visa.

I'm thinking about retiring soon in Chiang Mai. Is US$1000 per month enough to live off? I have no dependents and in good health. I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.

Yes and No

Unless you have something more in the bank account, you won't be able to get a visa.

Well spotted, I forgot this. :o

Yes, yes, you should be well off on US$1000 per month, I assume you have no Thai girl, is so forget, mostly likely she will get Greedy AND have a sick mother or grandmother, if this case come about 1000 dollars would be out of the door in a day or so. :D:D:D:D Hope you have a great stay in Chiang Mai, nice Vinyards in the area. :o

Yes, yes, you should be well off on US$1000 per month, I assume you have no Thai girl, is so forget, mostly likely she will get Greedy AND have a sick mother or grandmother, if this case come about 1000 dollars would be out of the door in a day or so. :D:D:D:D Hope you have a great stay in Chiang Mai, nice Vinyards in the area. :o

What about the buffalo?

/ Priceless

Hello,

Yes 1000 is doable... I live on little more than double that but I have a wife, child,(school payments) car, motorcycle, house payments (purchase) .... when I was just on my own this was enough to play and live the life I wanted... Now its enough to live a good life but if I was single ... 1000 would be ok... The dollar will rebound but the days of 40 to 1 are gone for good... best look forward and believe in the worst case 25 to 1 and in the best case 35. but I am guessing we will settle around 32-33. If your still in the states.. better to try and get a chunk of change before you go... save up and get yourself into a house or condo payment so you can have some equity over here. If you have a degree you might get the paper work together to teach english... yeah yeah...old news but now that they are weeding out the undesirables and the unqualified, people that have the degrees and are willing to jump through the hoops will be getting the jobs... teaching is a fairly relaxed way of living... so a chunk of change... a degree if you have one... .... last thought... LOVE the heat... because you will get a lot of it over here.

Yes and No

I got over $600,000 as of now plus small pension(current $1100/month) at 60 and SSA at 62(current $1500/month). I'm kind of young to retire but will get ED. O visa until I turn 50. I just don't want to work anymore but enjoy the simple finer things in life rather than work my ass off until 65 like my father did and die early.

Edited by Gary74

Yes and No

I got over $600,000 as of now plus small pension(current $1100/month) at 60 and SSA at 62(current $1500/month). I'm kind of young to retire but will get ED. O visa until I turn 50. I just don't want to work anymore but enjoy the simple finer things in life rather than work my ass off until 65 like my father did and die early.

I think we have a bit of mis communication here.

Earlier poster said 600,000 wouldn't be enough..... 600,000 baht, not enough by itself.......600,000 $'s US or most dollars except Zimbabewan , plenty , over kill//// at least until the buffalo owner comes into your life. If you do meet the buffalo owner, then insist on taking the buffalo to Oral Roberts, but no means offer any money for the healing

Yes and No

You are under 50? I have no ideas what an "ED. O" visa is.

600k usd won't help you if you are not married to a Thai and under 50 in getting a visa unless you find some way to invest here (which would be stupid if all you have is 600k)

Have you been to Thailand ever? If so have you spent any real time here?

Go get a double entry tourist visa or something. Come here for a 6 month trip and see if you like it!

I needed $2000-$3000 a Month when I lived there. There are ALWAYS unexpected things to pay for. As some people round about me found out, like 1.5 Million baht for emergency medical help.

With that budget you will be struggling to get a 'live in Lady' and being alone in Thailand wouldn't be an option for me. Boring.

Yes and No

600k usd won't help you if you are not married to a Thai and under 50 in getting a visa unless you find some way to invest here (which would be stupid if all you have is 600k)

Go get a double entry tourist visa or something. Come here for a 6 month trip and see if you like it!

As you admit not knowing what an ED.O visa is, why do you go on to offer irrelvant, patronising advice when the OP already told you he can get an ED.O Visa?

Anyway, suggest the following is compulsory reading for anyone wanting to survive on a tight budget in Chiang Mai

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172904

:o

US$1,000/month - Poor lifestyle

US$2,000/month - Basic lifestyle

US$3,000/month - Reasonable lifestyle

US$4,000/month - Comfortable lifestyle

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

Edited by Blinky Bill

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

I second the motion.

Now I know where the term "Cheap Charlies" came from

:o:D

Yes and No

I think we have a bit of mis communication here.

Earlier poster said 600,000 wouldn't be enough..... 600,000 baht, not enough by itself.......600,000 $'s US or most dollars except Zimbabewan , plenty , over kill//// at least until the buffalo owner comes into your life. If you do meet the buffalo owner, then insist on taking the buffalo to Oral Roberts, but no means offer any money for the healing

Rhodesia's currency is not dollars...........

I don't second, I've never in my life spend $4,000/month even in an expensive european country. Come on, if you live somewhere you're not out in discos and bar everynight, though some immatures could.

By the OP words

I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.
he is not the kind of people who would be out every night and he is considering to live here, not being on a two weeks holidays, completely different. And some can have fun without a load of money.

I don't second, I've never in my life spend $4,000/month even in an expensive european country. Come on, if you live somewhere you're not out in discos and bar everynight, though some immatures could.

By the OP words

I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.
he is not the kind of people who would be out every night and he is considering to live here, not being on a two weeks holidays, completely different. And some can have fun without a load of money.

Some of my ex-wives fitted into the "simple things" category and they cost a lot of money.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I still agree with Blinky Bill's levels of comfort, and I never heard either of us use the term "Cheap Charlie." The OP could live on US$1,000 per month, but most who do so (including a moderator I can think of) find it quite difficult.

But if the simple life includes living alone, eating only local food, not having his own transport, renting a small room with fan, almost no booze, not spending more than 500 baht for health problems, etc., he could do it.

Yes and No

As you admit not knowing what an ED.O visa is, why do you go on to offer irrelvant, patronising advice when the OP already told you he can get an ED.O Visa?

Anyway, suggest the following is compulsory reading for anyone wanting to survive on a tight budget in Chiang Mai

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172904

:o

Care to explain what an ED. O visa is? Oh wait ... there isn't one :D You could learn a bit :D

There's a non-imm-ED and a non-imm-O ...

Really a rather subjective question.

I think you could live here (simply) on $1K/mo.

And you did mention the increase coming down the road when you get SS, etc. which will increase your income.

Go ahead, take the plunge, do it!

In a worst case scenario, you can always start a small business, or get a job to supplement your income. Or move back home and live with Mum and Dad!

Hopefully you don't have multiple ex-wives (and kids) in several locales like one of the above posters- I'm surprised if he gets by on less than $10K/mo. (you know who I'm talking about...lol) :o

I guess I go cheap. I've been trying to imagine how I could spend 120,000 baht/mo for a "comfortable lifestyle".

I don't like a lot of rich falang food, I'm not an alky, I'm not trying to impress anyone, don't care to be stalled in a big SUV, don't want to rattle around in a 3,000 sq ft residence, support a coven of "girlfriends", etc. Sure as hel_l don't want to go on a lot of visits to the old country.

Should I feel deprived? I don't.

I guess I go cheap. I've been trying to imagine how I could spend 120,000 baht/mo for a "comfortable lifestyle".

I don't like a lot of rich falang food, I'm not an alky, I'm not trying to impress anyone, don't care to be stalled in a big SUV, don't want to rattle around in a 3,000 sq ft residence, support a coven of "girlfriends", etc. Sure as hel_l don't want to go on a lot of visits to the old country.

Certainly do-able, and I've done it for 5 years; less than $1000 a month in a town of about 1 million population. Granted, Isaan is not Chiang Mai, but I've been to Chiang Mai a number of times and believe I could do it there. Reason? I supported two people for most of those 5 years on less than $1K a month. That budget included a couple trips back to the home country, and five other very nice vacations during that time (Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Phuket and Koh Lanta).

Edited by toptuan

Really a rather subjective question.

I think you could live here (simply) on $1K/mo.

And you did mention the increase coming down the road when you get SS, etc. which will increase your income.

Go ahead, take the plunge, do it!

In a worst case scenario, you can always start a small business, or get a job to supplement your income. Or move back home and live with Mum and Dad!

Hopefully you don't have multiple ex-wives (and kids) in several locales like one of the above posters- I'm surprised if he gets by on less than $10K/mo. (you know who I'm talking about...lol) :o

Not too far off the mark Macca. sFun_crazydance.gif

who would like to rattle around in a claustrophobic tiny residence with only 280m²? :o

I second the motion.

Now I know where the term "Cheap Charlies" came from

:o:D

Don't pay too much heed to the neo-sahibs who dominate these forums. One can live comfortable on $1,000 a month in Chiang Mai as far as normal day to day living expenses if you have not bought into the corporate consumerist material lifestyle. Now there are certain issues that others have noted, such as the minimum income required for a longer term visa. And as others have noted, you had best have reserves, just as anywhere. for unexpected health care needs. And you will also need to have a significant sum for startup costs such as transportation and housing needs. But once you get past those start up costs, and once you have planned and saved for medical emergencies, then day to day expenses can easily be met with a budget of $1,000 per month. Although as mentioned here, you may not be able to compete with some of the posters here relative to daily alcohol consumption and long and short term sexual needs paid to Thais for providing such services. But I daresay, if you are willing to co-habit with an age appropriate partner, even those needs can be met at the cost of room and board.