The Rules About Getting Thai Visas

billshot64

What is the Thai Gov doing to us Visa or border runners.

Well the Thai Gov make from us criminals, I must pay monthly the rent from the house, ji-net, a new motorbike and more. If I can’t make a new visa then I can’t pay. The Thai Gov ignores my human right the human right is that I can make the choice where I want life. But the countries a round the world makes rules against it. My advice the time that you in Thailand are save your money and spend it outside Thailand when you on the visa run.

Billshot64

//Edit: Deleted reference to the King. Maestro, 09 April 2008

Edited by Maestro
Edited title to make point of OP clearer.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't make it easy for the ones that wont to stay in the land of smiles. We as a collective spend a fortune every month, I agree that the government should step in and take notice of us long standing farangs over here, especially if we have Thai partners or children with them.

My 1 year ME visa run out 2 months ago, and reading through a-lot of post in many forums about renewing it over here, seems to be a nightmare, like many things here in thailand for farangs.

Please make things easier for US farangs not only on the visa situation but also on farangs owning freehold property and land, that would be my message to the government.

Then life would be sweet.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted reference to the King - Maestro

Well the Thai Gov make from us criminals, I must pay monthly the rent from the house, ji-net, a new motorbike and more. If I can’t make a new visa then I can’t pay. The Thai Gov ignores my human right the human right is that I can make the choice where I want life. But the countries a round the world makes rules against it. My advice the time that you in Thailand are save your money and spend it outside Thailand when you on the visa run.

Billshot64

It is not a human right to live wherever you want to live. If you want to live in a particular country of which you arent a citizen, you are obliged to follow the laws of that country, including immigration laws. You should think yourself lucky that you are able to exploit a loophole in the Thai immigration laws and do your visa runs.

Try pulling your head out of your a**e, and imagine how much harder it would be for a Thai citizen to just go and live in the your country. Have you never walked through Sathorn and seen queues of people waiting in line for something as simple as a tourist visa?

It's the old mentality. As farangs we are relatively wealthy here so they MUST change their laws to accomodate us.

Get real.

I have edited the titles of the thread to make it clear. The opening poster here claims to be a 66-year old Dutchman who has been living in Thailand for ten years, supporting his Thai girlfriend, having troubles with Immigration because he cannot meet the retirement rules.

As others have said, Thailand (and the Netherlands, etc.) has no human rights obligation to welcome everybody from everywhere. The immigration officers are not stupid; in fact, most of them understand how the law actually works, better than most of us do.

They don't make it easy for the ones that wont to stay in the land of smiles. We as a collective spend a fortune every month, I agree that the government should step in and take notice of us long standing farangs over here, especially if we have Thai partners or children with them.

My 1 year ME visa run out 2 months ago, and reading through a-lot of post in many forums about renewing it over here, seems to be a nightmare, like many things here in thailand for farangs.

Please make things easier for US farangs not only on the visa situation but also on farangs owning freehold property and land, that would be my message to the government.

I have never had a nightmare extending my visa either when it was based or marriage or now based on living with my Thai child.

Just follow the rules and provide the documents required and it's a breeze.... :o

Billshot64

Where does it say in any countries rules that you have the human rights to live in that country and NOT abide by the laws of that country?

The Thai government makes the laws in its own country (as do most other countries) to suit themselves and their own people and if you can abide by the the laws of Thailand or of any other country then you will be permitted to stay in that country.

It seems to me that you do not qualify for a long term visa under the Thai Immigration rules and you wish a sovreign country to change its rules to suit you personally. For any farang who meets the requirements of the law there are no problems, however if you are unable to meet the requirements then YOU are the one who should change.

Just to show you that each country has its own rules. I am English, my son who was born of my Thai wife, has an English birth certificate and passport (also Thai as well) can enter the UK and the EU easily without any hindrance. My wife on the other hand who is Thai and has no RIGHT OF ABODE in the Uk has to apply for a visa to enter the UK. If she wishes to remain there she HAS to be able to speak, read and write English, whereas in Thailand the is no Thai law compelling ME to do so.

Why should the Thai government make it easy for us farangs to stay in the land of smiles. If you qualify under the present rules then life is sweet. The collective amount of money spent by the farangs living in Thailand is not very much when set against the total amount of money spent by Thais. Thais who actually have a very hard time in getting a visa to go and live in most countries outside of Thailand.

Most of the farangs in Thailand who have Thai wives and childrens normally qualify to live here under one rule or another and have no visa problems nor do they generally go on visa runs across the borders.

I would LOVE the rules in Thailand to be easier but at the same time ALL countries should then make it easier for Thais to live in their countries. And that will not happen in my lifetime nor I suspect in my childrens lifetime.

Billshot64

It is not a human right to live wherever you want to live. If you want to live in a particular country of which you arent a citizen, you are obliged to follow the laws of that country, including immigration laws. You should think yourself lucky that you are able to exploit a loophole in the Thai immigration laws and do your visa runs.

Try pulling your head out of your a**e, and imagine how much harder it would be for a Thai citizen to just go and live in the your country. Have you never walked through Sathorn and seen queues of people waiting in line for something as simple as a tourist visa?

It's the old mentality. As farangs we are relatively wealthy here so they MUST change their laws to accomodate us.

Get real.

Bendix

I agree with you play the game by the rules and life is easy.

Edited by Maestro

Just follow the rules and provide the documents required and it's a breeze.... :D
Most of the farangs // qualify to live here under one rule or another and have no visa problems nor do they generally go on visa runs across the borders.
:D

I am tired to hear this kind of things again and again on TV forum...

Because for YOU it's easy to get a visa, you think that it's easy for everybody, but it's WRONG !

By example, think to all early retired guys (45 or even 40yo) : they have no solution to stay ; except to marry a Thai lady (no thanks, :o ), to create a company (no thanks, retired) or to use bogus Visa from Hull or "friendly" consulate (for how long?) ...

Pattaya46

Edited by Pattaya46

Just follow the rules and provide the documents required and it's a breeze.... :D
Most of the farangs // qualify to live here under one rule or another and have no visa problems nor do they generally go on visa runs across the borders.

Because for YOU it's easy to get a visa, you think that it's easy for everybody, but it's WRONG !

By example, think to all early retired guys (45 or even 40yo) : they have no solution to stay ; except to marry a Thai lady (no thanks, :o ), to create a company (no thanks, retired) or to use bogus Visa from Hull or "friendly" consulate (for how long?) ...

Pattaya46

What's your point? This is not your country. Do you think you have a god-given right to be here?

I personally think the rules are too liberal. They are considerably looser than those of the UK, US, Australia, NZ, Holland etc.

It seems to me that we think that because we're white, then everyone here should be doing everything they can to accomodate us.

Wake up and get real.

I have to agree with many posters here.If you want to live in thailand,abide by their rules.

kill somebody and pay the police off.

just joking heheheehhe.

I have multi 0 becaus ei want to go home for 2 weeks every 15 months to see my son and family.I get another multi 0 so what is the problem.I would prefer not to spend 2000+ baht every 90 days but i have to accept that is the law here.If i choose not to do that i can get a retirement visa or marry my gf lol.

For sure it is my human right to make the choice where I want life.

I respect the law but a law that changes every week.

I’m 67 years and I life in Thailand for ten years but never in my live I have see a Gov. that have changes the law so many times.

Sorry how you can belief a Gov. that changes so many times.

Billshot64

Pattaya46

Every country has rules on immigration, when you meet the requirements you have it easy, when you don't meet the requirements, then you have to find alternative methods of stay or move on.

It's not rocket science. :D

Billshot64

It ain't the way it works, I am quite sure that Millions of Thai people would like to go and live and work in your country, you think they can do that just cos they want to ?

What's your point? This is not your country. Do you think you have a god-given right to be here?

You did not read my post correctly ; or may be my English is not too clear... :o

I have nothing against thai immigration rules.

Thailand defined the rules and I have to accept them. Point

My post was against some members here who just can't stop repeat here again and again : "Follow the rules and you can stay here without problem".

They just forget that some categories of people are excluded from these rules, and I am in one of them... I can follow all the rules that are, but I will have to wait to be old (50+ :D ) to stop 90 days visa runs...

Pattaya46

Every country has rules on immigration, when you meet the requirements you have it easy, when you don't meet the requirements, then you have to find alternative methods of stay or move on.

It's not rocket science. :D

Alternative methods?

That's rich, especially coming from a poster who constantly raves about "low quality farang", and who now advises "alternative methods", eg. illegal methods.

For singles that may be an advisable path, but the case here is that existing families are made criminals without having broken any pre-existing law, and their families are torn apart.

I hope you do not advise those to break laws in order to be able to stay together as a family, especially when children are involved. :o

Alternative methods meaning going to your own country once a year to get a Visa Non 'O' or get tourist Visas and use them with 30 day border runs. I never mentioned illegal methods

I've been in Thailand for 18 years, and only got a retirement Visa in October last year, I managed to stay in Thailand jumpimg through hoops cos it was my CHOICE to be here, so you can do the same.

Yes I agree that there are many low class Farangs still in Thailand. :D

If the uk decide to change the laws to have an english test then i applaud them.we all have our moan about immigrants that come to the uk with family and claim dole and freebies.then we moan when the government try to make it harder for immigrants to enter the uk.the more immigrants/vistors etc who can speak good english will reduce the better it will be for integration.

I also applaud the thai government to stop the loophole about farangs(some criminals) hiding in thailand with a 30 day stamp.There were many dickheads here so well done for that.I have friends who come to thailand for 6-12 months and get a multi 0 without being 50+,but i believe the visa has been reduced to a 6 month one now.

Pattaya46

So my visa is bogus now?? Try explaining that to the Thai authorities have have let me stay here as a law abiding guest for the last 2 years.

You don't have a clue my friend, and I was taught from an early age not to comment on things you don't understand, as you will appear somewhat foolish.

As to the heart wrenching stories of families being torn apart, do you seriously believe that someone who has a family income of less than £650 ($1,300) should be allowed to stay here? What do they live off? Generally income gained via illicit means I would imagine, of course any country would welcome such upstanding losers. :D

My post was against some members here who just can't stop repeat here again and again : "Follow the rules and you can stay here without problem".

They just forget that some categories of people are excluded from these rules, and I am in one of them... I can follow all the rules that are, but I will have to wait to be old (50+ :o ) to stop 90 days visa runs...

Pattaya46

It's a tough life..... You can stay in Thailand, you just have to jump through a few hoops until you reach 50 where a few hoops are taken away, but you still have requirements to meet.

When you are 50+, and if you don't meet those requirements, you will still have problems.

Well the Thai Gov make from us criminals, I must pay monthly the rent from the house, ji-net, a new motorbike and more. If I can't make a new visa then I can't pay. The Thai Gov ignores my human right the human right is that I can make the choice where I want life. But the countries a round the world makes rules against it. My advice the time that you in Thailand are save your money and spend it outside Thailand when you on the visa run.

Billshot64

1. You have no 'human right' to relocate to Thailand or any other country of your choice if that country doesn't want you as a resident or immigrant.

2. Does one feel like a criminal? - Yes, sometimes. Since Toxin's rule it seems that Caucasians are sometimes looked at as being 'Mafia', cause Thais cannot understand why someone would voluntarily move to such a third-world country, especially as Thais don't like heat, sunshine, or the beach, and seldom travel.

3. Yes, when I need to do visa runs to neighbouring countries I spend easily as much money within two or three days as I spend in Thailand in four or six weeks. In addition I feel that my money is more welcome in the other places. Loss for Thailand ('s poor), gain for people and businesses in the neighbouring countries... :o

Edited by Maestro

It is increasingly difficult to stay long term with tourist visas, and also long term non-imm 'O' are not as easy to get as before, especially when not being able to fullfill the financial requirements demanded. It is only a matter of time until the last loopholes will be filled.

And you do ignore the basic problem here - that families are affected and torn apart, as they cannot relocate to Europe, even if they would want to.

I don't really care if you can fulfill the visa requirements in Thailand, and have lived here for a long time. You are not the only one that is in this position. Some people may look at people who have to resort to "jumping through the hoops" as "low class farang" who lack in education and ingenuity to qualify for a perfectly legal workpermit. But i don't - just notice a distinct lack of compassion for other less fortunate in your posts. :o

When I first came to Thailand we used to get 14 days at the airport, I have seen the UK Pound at 37 Baht and the Dollar below 25, so you are right, things change, some for the better, some for the worse.

I know other people who have been in Thailand for years and years, they have managed to stay in Thailand by jumping through hoops the same as all of us do, bitching and moaning on an internet forum will not change those hoops.

You think I wouldn't like easier alternatives to stay, you think I liked doing border runs, of course I didn't but it's what I had to do. There are many many Thai people who are involved in relationships with Farangs who are refused Visas to their partners countries, that's also unfair, but it's the way it is I'm afarid.

It's a he-ll of a lot easier for a Farang who is skint to walk into Thailand than it is for a Thai to get to UK for example.

Edited by Maigo6

I respect the law but a law that changes every week.

I’m 67 years and I life in Thailand for ten years but never in my live I have see a Gov. that have changes the law so many times.

Sorry how you can belief a Gov. that changes so many times.

Billshot64

Well billshot 64

I am 64 in about 6 weeks and I have been around the world working and the ONLY country that I have any human right to stay in without let or hindrance is the UK which is the country that I was born in and whose passport I carry.

If I should choose to live in any other country I am subject to the laws of that country whether I like it or not. I have the human right to ask if I can live there and that country also has the right to say yes or no.

What I do NOT have is the right to demand that the country change its laws to make it easy for me to live there.

The UK government even back in 1995 made it impossible for my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) to go to visit me in the UK. However she did get permission to go to Denmark as a tourist easily.

When we were getting married her old boss wanted to come to the wedding but the UK government through the British embassy in Bangkok said that she would have to wait until May of 2000 before applying as "there are too many Thai tourists coming to the UK at this time.

This despite having her own business, house and family and an independent income from the USA. She also got a visa to Germany easily and we met there.

I will repeat that NOBODY has the human right to decide to live in another country UNLESS they can meet the immigration requirements of that country, and why should they have that right anyway.

It is the choice of the government only of any country to permit or not the immigration to that particular country, not the choice of the individual to do so.

It's a he-ll of a lot easier for a Farang who is skint to walk into Thailand than it is for a Thai to get to UK for example.

Too true.

I think Thailand is full of EU nationals who are too used to the fact that they can easily waltz between other EU nations to live work etc. When they get to Thailand, where there are rules, they complain, but it is almost like 'welcome to the real world'.

Fact of the matter is that the rules in Thailand are easier relative to most places. Consider the rules for Australia, NZ, Canada etc, most people wouldn't make it in.

Sorry, billshot, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy from people. No one has a right to reside in any country they so choose. If that was the case certain countries would be nearly empty, and other would be over populated. That is why there are immigration rules. Most countries have them, even in the West and not everyone meets those requirments. I rememer looking at moving to Australia a few years ago, and there's a massive amount of paper work and hoop jumping. I would have qualified due to my profession, but in the end took a different direction. Rules are rules, you'll just have to look at what options you have available, if you can't stay then you should have no problem going back to Europe.

The Visa rules are reasonably clear, although we all appreciate that they do make changes from time to time. I just can't understand why you don't have a retirement visa at your age considering that you have been here for 10 years.

I think Thailand is full of EU nationals who are too used to the fact that they can easily waltz between other EU nations to live work etc. When they get to Thailand, where there are rules, they complain, but it is almost like 'welcome to the real world'.

And starting now, Thailand will be increasingly full of EU nationals who are forced into illegality as they cannot move to their home countries with their Thai families, and are because of the recent and ongoing tightening of the visa laws in Thailand, along solely financial lines, not able anymore to live legally in Thailand, as they have done so previous to the changes.

Agree with you that family visas should be automatic - anywhere you go, so long as they are legitimate. Don't know about the EU on this note, but from the Thai perspective the rules have been liberalised, not tightened. The threshold has been lowered to a non-o extension of proof of 40K income per couple, not per person.

Not ideal, but 40K per couple isn't too much to scratch together, and, I think is probably the bare minimum you'd realistically want to live on here, visa rule or no visa rule.

You did not read my post correctly ; or may be my English is not too clear... :o

I have nothing against thai immigration rules.

Thailand defined the rules and I have to accept them. Point

They just forget that some categories of people are excluded from these rules, and I am in one of them... I can follow all the rules that are, but I will have to wait to be old (50+ :D ) to stop 90 days visa runs...

Pattaya46

Just buy an Elite card and you can stay in Thailand indefinitely - great for those under 50 who are not married but have 'retired'. If you are retired at 45, spending 1.5m baht should be easy for you?

The Elite card issue seems to be winding up a lot of people though - I think 1.5mb baht to be able to stay in a foreign country indefinitely for life is frankly a very sweet deal, and to avoid all the visa runs too.

Billshot64

Last time I checked there are several provisions in the thai immigration system to stay here without doing border runs, marriage/work/retirement and the accompanying permit extensions and re-entry permits not to mention permanent residency.

Sounds like yet another rant from someone who cant satsify the current requirements that are in place. Do people like you actually think about this and plan you situation accordingly before immigrating or is it easier just to turn up and get "self-victimized" and then winge,cry and moan about it ?