Design Of Thai Currency

Ijustwannateach

I'm a bit of a coin/bill buff, and over my time in Thailand I've noticed quite a bit of variation in the 10 baht coin:

1. HM in profile, very frequent image

2. HM facing directly out, fairly frequent (but I think this is an older design)

3. HM in slightly less than 3 quarter profile; this seems to be on the newer coins

4. I've found one coin in change with HM and the Prince both facing directly out,

5. and one coin with the face of Queen Sirikit.

Any other designs? Have any of the rest of you seen #4 and #5 in change?

Also, I've recently received one of the new 50B notes (the new paper ones that are supposed to replace the polymer ones). I must confess I liked the polymer ones better.

Any other comments or discussion about the design of Thai money?

"Steven"

Over the years I have picked up various really well designed notes from mainly Vietnam,Cambodia (including P.Ps.K.R,year zero stuff)and of course Thailand.

An unusual issue at the mo is the large square note which measures approx.6inch X 6 inch and has a face denomination of 60bt.

I thought is was an old one but I have been told its comemerative and it seems its still in use although doubt if anyone would actually use it.

Khun wifes also got some real genunine oldies from the time of Rama 8 - 5bt,1 bt and even a 50 Satang note (some with all the 555s and 999s)

Her real pride and joy however is a coin passed down through her family which is a 1 ut (pronounced 1 uuut) issued at the time of Rama 5.

I think there may have been 100 ut =1 Satang but...... mai co jai.

Lots of fakes knocking around Bangers especially from the old ladies who uncover them:unsure: from new building sites and sit cleaning them by the side of the road in buckets of dirty water. :o

I believe that 60 Baht large square note is a commemorative issued in 1987 on the event of HM 60th birthday. And I hope we see a similar commemorative in 100 Baht denomination.

I recently found a 20 Baht coin in a shop that was rather large. Don't see these much in change. It is stamped with year BE 2542.

kenk3z

Also, I've recently received one of the new 50B notes (the new paper ones that are supposed to replace the polymer ones). I must confess I liked the polymer ones better.

Notice how similar these are to the Australian bank note(s)? Well there's a reason for that.

I can only assume, then, that the Aussie printers [if that's, indeed, what they're called when priniting money] didn't win the new contract; hence a return to the old paper ones.

I'm a bit of a coin/bill buff, and over my time in Thailand I've noticed quite a bit of variation in the 10 baht coin:

1. HM in profile, very frequent image

2. HM facing directly out, fairly frequent (but I think this is an older design)

3. HM in slightly less than 3 quarter profile; this seems to be on the newer coins

4. I've found one coin in change with HM and the Prince both facing directly out,

5. and one coin with the face of Queen Sirikit.

Any other designs? Have any of the rest of you seen #4 and #5 in change?

Any other comments or discussion about the design of Thai money?

"Steven"

My son has a collection and I think he has 8 different 10 baht coins

I believe that 60 Baht large square note is a commemorative issued in 1987 on the event of HM 60th birthday. And I hope we see a similar commemorative in 100 Baht denomination.

I recently found a 20 Baht coin in a shop that was rather large. Don't see these much in change. It is stamped with year BE 2542.

kenk3z

The 60 baht note was exactly as described by the poster. Very rare to find 'em in circulation.

My understanding of the plastic 50 baht notes was that they cost more than the actual note was worth, that they were quite expensive and that after the crash of 97 Thailand could no longer afford more. Unfortunately this seemed to be after they had already destroyed all the paper notes! Out here in the boonies 50 bahts are kinda rare. I expect they are going back to paper not because they are 'unpopular' (as stated in a news clipping from george) but because paper is much much cheaper. Personally, I prefer the plastic notes as my husband regularly leaves money in his pockets and they get washed in the machine. Absolutely no problem for the 50 baht notes. Oh well.

We don't get any of these unusual or commemorative coins or notes down here, don't know why, just takes a long time to filter down I guess. I've never seen most of the coins nor any of the notes you guys mention.

Notice how similar these are to the Australian bank note(s)? Well there's a reason for that.

I can only assume, then, that the Aussie printers [if that's, indeed, what they're called when printing money] didn't win the new contract; hence a return to the old paper ones.

Thanks for clearing that up! I came to Thailand on stop-overs to and from Melbourne (from and to England), and I noticed the similarity immediately. I assumed Thailand had got some new notes printed by the Australians. Pity that they're not going to do more of them - they are certainly cleaner feeling, and I'm sure would last a lot, lot longer than the paper money - so maybe this is a false economy by the bank of Thailand.

Slightly off-topic, I always sort my money in my wallet by it's colour - the darkest, dirtiest being put at the front so I can get rid of it first. 50's are nearly always 'clean' looking.

The only problem I have with the 50's is trying to get rid of a crease in them, if someone has previous folded them in half, or bent over the corner.