Driving Licence In Chiang Mai

Dixie

Chaps,

I’m putting this in here as I am hoping to come over to Thailand (Chiang Mai) in May and would be very grateful if someone could give me advice regarding a driving licence. I plan on buying a bike and car. At present I have a British driving licence and have passed my test for both a car and bike. My British licence is still the pink one.

I also have a five year International Drivers Licence that I obtained in Thailand, however it expired in 2005. When I arrive in Thailand I will either have to rent a house or rent a condo (until I get a house), I’ll also be coming over on a Non O visa and applying for an extension based on retirement. My wife is Thai and she has family over there.

Will I have to wait until I get my extension before I can apply for a licence.

Any advice on the best way forward would be most appreciated.

Edited by Dixie

Chaps,

I'm putting this in here as I am hoping to come over to Thailand (Chiang Mai) in May and would be very grateful if someone could give me advice regarding a driving licence. I plan on buying a bike and car. At present I have a British driving licence and have passed my test for both a car and bike. My British licence is still the pink one.

I also have a five year International Drivers Licence that I obtained in Thailand, however it expired in 2005. When I arrive in Thailand I will either have to rent a house or rent a condo (until I get a house), I'll also be coming over on a Non O visa and applying for an extension based on retirement. My wife is Thai and she has family over there.

Will I have to wait until I get my extension before I can apply for a licence.

Any advice on the best way forward would be most appreciated.

YTou need international licence from uk, house lease residency certificate from british consul and go to transport office 4 easy perseption tests colour blind test etc and 1 hour later 2 driving licences for 1 year.

I took my Year visa, UK driving licence and " borrowed house deeds" from the missus (if you have no house lease certificate) and a few photos. They never send post to a given address, so you can use any available handy address.

The test is easy but brush up on your Thai language colours as the people i had couldnt speak english. I dont think they understood me anyway, so no worries as its only a matter of process.

It is easier to apply for your car and motorbike licence's at the same time though.

Make sure you take your wife along to translate and point you in the right direction.

Happy motoring.