Bangkok Bank Dormant Accounts

I've been reading threads from worried farangs here regarding "banks in Thailand stealing your money if your account isn't used for 6 months or more". I took the trouble as did my Thai wife to write to the Bangkok Bank seperately and ask exactly what happens under these circumstances. Here is my reply from BBL:

"Please be informed that savings accounts which do not maintain a

minimum

balance of 500Bt will be subjected to a 50Bt per month

maintenance fee

after one year. If a savings account is at zero, the account

will be

automatically closed without prior notice."

On a personal note I think BBL is a very professional first class bank to deal with. Overseas swift transfers are credited within 24 hours from my bank account at home and they do not "steal your money" if you have a reasonable deposit. Another myth to be eliminated is that they don't pay Farangs interest. They do, albeit only .75% but they do and I get mine every 6 Months.

Here is my wifes reply in Thai which is same answer and in addition my wifes answer also says ALL accounts are treated the same, that means Farangs too. (She asked that question) Happy Banking.

สำหรับบัญชีเงินฝากสะสมทรัพย์ที่ไม่เคลื่อนไหว 1

ปีขึ้นไปและมียอดเงินคงเหลือในบัญชีต่ำกว่า 500 บาท ธนาคารคิดค่าธรรมเนียมในการรักษาบัญชี 50 บาท

ต่อ เดือน เมื่อยอดเงินคงเหลือในบัญชีเป็นศูนย์

บัญชีนี้จะถูกปิดโดยอัตโนมัติ

ธนาคารกรุงเทพให้บริการกับลูกค้าทุกท่าน ด้วยมาตรฐานที่เหมือนกัน ดังนั้น

ท่านสามารถไว้วางใจในบริการของธนาคารได้

Thanks a lot for the valuable information! :o

As for me, yes, I also was worried about 'losing' my ledger balance (1,100 baht) from my dormant bank account, so I withdrew it at another province's bank branch, costing me 30 baht.

I hope, though, that my account in Bangkok won't be closed, as I would like to keep it. (I have the mentioned balance of 0 baht now, though, or should I say 0.08 baht?)

...Overseas swift transfers are credited within 24 hours from my bank account at home... Another myth to be eliminated is that they don't pay Farangs interest. They do, albeit only .75% but they do and I get mine every 6 Months. ....

I think this clinches it! I've been looking at different banks to see which one I should change to, because I'm so fed up with Krung Thai. Thanks for this information. :o