Stuck With Little Johnny For Another 4 Years

350torana

Yeah, it is not a Thai topic. But, looks like the Liberals had a convincing win in the Australian elections today . I am no fan of Johnny and his bbq's with George W , but the best man won on the day, I guess. Just curious, how many expat or tourist Aussies voted? I am ashamed to say I did not vote :o But, my electorate(Franklin, Tasmania) is a labour strong seat so my vote would mean diddly squat.

However you cut it, Howard won, and won convincingly and will be the second logest serving PM in December, Menzies was the Longest. Latham was gracious in defeat. It is just a shame that his supporters don't have similar capacities. By the way, the Federal term is THREE 3 years, not 4. There's a discount for you.

I went to Soi Bangla yerserday afternnon to get the Phuket Gazette. We had at least six inches of rain, just after I got there, forcing me to sit in the driest bar I could find. I finally got home by four wheel drive, wet, drunk and somewhere I hhad lost the paper.

And the the first thing I heard was Howard had won again.

Ever had a real bad day....?

I went to Soi Bangla yerserday afternnon to get the Phuket Gazette. We had at least six inches of rain, just after I got there, forcing me to sit in the driest bar I could find. I finally got home by four wheel drive, wet, drunk and somewhere I hhad lost the paper.

And the the first thing I heard was Howard had won again.

Ever had a real bad day....?

Johnny was fair. He would have even permitted a pisshead to vote ( had said pisshead been interested in the slightest )

I'm not Australian.

I was in Australia last week and was bombarded by elections news, whatever channel I tuned in.

So I had to listen or sleep...

And the alternative to Little Johnny did not convince me at all.

And obviously did not convince the majority of Australian.

At least, it shows that elections in Australia can not be bought...

I was in Australia last week ans was bombarded by elections news, whatever channel I tuned in.

packer, the man who owns the majority of the commercial media in australia publically stated that he supported john boy.

and he has a track record of making those assets conform to his bias.

packer maybe physically has only one vote, but his influence surely numbers in the hundreds of thousands.

I was in Australia last week ans was bombarded by elections news, whatever channel I tuned in.

packer, the man who owns the majority of the commercial media in australia publically stated that he supported john boy.

and he has a track record of making those assets conform to his bias.

packer maybe physically has only one vote, but his influence surely numbers in the hundreds of thousands.

From memory and studying sociology of the media, in oz (going back a few years now :o), no one person can own more than about seventy percent of the pop of oz (which I guess is a substantial amount). It’s not a secret that Packer supports the Liberal Party, allegedly Howard has even given him preferential treatment (esp in 1996 with the cross media rules banning ownership of TV and newspapers). However one can not neglect the other players, such as Murdoch (whose son chose a better looking wife :D), Fairfax, Black etc. True, money talks but as a mate said to me “the punters just didn’t trust an untried Latham”, and can’t help believing that, esp after everything oz has gone through.

However you cut it, Howard won, and won convincingly and will be the second logest serving PM in December, Menzies was the Longest. Latham was gracious in defeat. It is just a shame that his supporters don't have similar capacities. By the way, the Federal term is THREE 3 years, not 4. There's a discount for you.

Thank you and my apologies for my lack of grace.

Living in Thailand full time, it isn't an issue for you any longer Doc. Living here and there, it is an issue for me.

The three is true enough, one less year than someone thought. I just find it sad.. no big deal just disappointing.

yes now we have john boy for another term, and down boy will still be the minister for foreign affairs..

it is done now...

Congrats to John Howard and his team....its not an easy job what they do.......

it is easy to shout from the fence though ( bin-latham, brown etc).....

In my work I frequently see the ministers from South Australia, as they pass through my work place......A Downer , Hill etc....really nice guys and always have the time to chat with u.......unlike alot of other politicians.......

In a way, this is linked to Thailand . The relationship between Australia and Asia was key note in this election . Johnny has stepped on a few toes in this part of the world and i expect nothing will change. It will also mean no change in immigration. Australians trying to bring thier g/fs, fiances and wifes etc back to Australia. I assume Slobstone will still take the immigration portfolio? I really do hope he hangs up the boots and lets Costello take the reigns after a whiles.

Yeah, my mistake,i said 4 years for a term, maybe got confused with the American system.

Might be true of the elections. Not true of the posts. Only mention of Thailand was to dismiss the original post's relevanct to Thailand.

No offence meant and I hope that this thread continues (but with this I'll shut up). Just wish that the same leniency would be shown towards other nationalities.

Guess it proves how valuable polls are- wasnt even close Howard won easily and media kept telling the public it was a deadheat.

It was anything but a dead heat Brit. The ALP doing a deal with the Greens hurt them a lot too. The Greens had some loonie policies which were not to the liking of many traditional Labor supporters.