Water Supply

ZOVOX

Is there a problem with the water supply in Thailand ?

I've just bought a new house and not getting water upstairs through mains supply, but ok downstairs - i think it's because the water pressure is too low.

Is this normal in Thailand ?

Is this why they sell water pumps in supermarkets here ?

Will the water pump fix my problem ?

My suggestion is to install a tank, so it will fill up at night when the water pressure is better, and install a pumpset with a hydropneumatic vessel after the tank

The pumpset will operate on pressure switch

Low water pressure in Thailand is common

cheers

> Is there a problem with the water supply in Thailand ?

Not in Thailand in general, but specific houses or areas often get stuck with shitty water. Low pressure and not entirely translucent water are two common issues. :o

> Is this why they sell water pumps in supermarkets here ?

Yes. :D

> Will the water pump fix my problem ?

Is it your own (or wife's) house or are you renting? If renting then you obviously don't want to do a major investment, unless of course you can strike a deal with the renter.

It also depends on the area: Is it city-water or is there a well somewhere?

So let some engineering shop take a look at it and work the problem. Likely just a pump would do the trick.

Cheers,

Chanchao

As unsightly as they may be, I would suggest also that you have an above ground tank as they are easy to flush out settlements. Do mine at least once a week and it does come out dirty. Will be running a prefilter after the pump and then another filter in the kitchen for cooking purposes.

Yes, Yes, Yes/no.

Yes water pressure is almost always lower that what westerners expect.

Yes the reason you see pumps for sale everywhere is that almost every house needs one.

Yes if you use a pump (but only from a tank) it should help your water pressure but don't expect hotel standards.

Only a few villages have towers for water supply (hotels will have on roof) - most people get from relatively low pressure pumped supplies. You then run that water into a one cubic meter (or larger) tank and pump from that tank into home. The larger pumps will provide more pressure (if your pipes will take it).

Do not try to shortcut and pump directly from water main as that could cause you or others to get high amounts of ground water coming into the line from cracks and contaminate your water.

Do not try to shortcut and pump directly from water main as that could cause you or others to get high amounts of ground water coming into the line from cracks and contaminate your water.

Er, really? Time for a chat with my landlord....

Some houses have two water pumps. One to bring the water in from the mains to fill the storage tank and a second one, fitted with a pressure tank and switch, to serve the house.

They should not be using a pump from a mains. From a well or a klong yes but not 'from' a mains. If you start pumping water from the mains at a rate higher than it can provide it is going to try pulling in from every leak and you will get ground water into the main and your tank. Not good stuff to drink or use.

They should not be using a pump from a mains. From a well or a klong yes but not 'from' a mains. If you start pumping water from the mains at a rate higher than it can provide it is going to try pulling in from every leak and you will get ground water into the main and your tank. Not good stuff to drink or use.

You are correct, but have still seen many houses with two pumps, especially those with above-ground water storage.

it is actually illegal to pump straight from the mains, although most people do it, only trouble with that is if there is no water and then your pump is sucking air and your meter is going round like crazy, yep and you have to pay for all that air that your pump sucked, also if its a cheap pump you will also have to pay for it to be replaced because it would have burnt out by sucking so much air and got hot.

mains into a tank and pump from the tank to the house is the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice ! I had a 250w pump fitted, with a tank with 700 written on it (not sure what units it is), and it worked fantastic !! My water comes out like a water cannon, including the upstairs. The tank and pump cost me 12,000 baht, and the man fitted it for 1800 baht.