The Mae Hong Son Loop

lightstar

Hi there,

I would like to spend a few days in a rented car driving the Mae Hong Son loop.

I want to see Pai, the Soppong Caves, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sarieng (hot springs) and Doi Ithanon.

Can anyone recommend how many days I should take?

I don't have a lot of time, and am not planning on stopping more than overnight in each place - this is more of a look-see than an extended trip...

From what I hear it's easy to spend a lot of time up there, but unfortunately I just don't have that luxury! :o Maybe next time!

Also any other suggestions for places to see / things to do??? Beautiful, villages, must see waterfalls... any ideas welcome!

Thanks

Hi there,

I would like to spend a few days in a rented car driving the Mae Hong Son loop.

I want to see Pai, the Soppong Caves, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sarieng (hot springs) and Doi Ithanon.

Can anyone recommend how many days I should take?

I don't have a lot of time, and am not planning on stopping more than overnight in each place - this is more of a look-see than an extended trip...

From what I hear it's easy to spend a lot of time up there, but unfortunately I just don't have that luxury! :o Maybe next time!

Also any other suggestions for places to see / things to do??? Beautiful, villages, must see waterfalls... any ideas welcome!

Thanks

I like to do it as a 4 day/3 night or 5 day/4 night (preferred...) trip. There is a nice bubbling natural hot springs before Pai, some great caves after Pai, (Lod Cave, Fish Cave) fantastic roadside vistas, lots of roadside markets run by the Lisu folks. Many beautiful temples along the way, as well as in Mae Hong Son. Visit the Karen villages just outside Mae Hong Son. When you get to Doi Inthanon, be sure to turn left and go UP the hill and visit the King and Queen Stuppas as well as the interesting nature trail (just a 30 minute walk) near the top of the mountain before going back down and seeing some magnificent waterfalls. My favorite waterfalls are the Vachirathon Falls seen from the base, and the Mae Klong just outside the base station and to the right.

As far as 'seeing' Pai, you'll pretty much see it as you drive through.... Beautiful and relaxing, but it's visual. However, do be careful on the drive itself; there are 1,832 hairpin curves on this road between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. Not everyone stays in their lanes. If you have passengers in your car who tend towards motion sickness, take some medication an hour before you leave Chiang Mai, or bring plenty of ginger products (ginger ale, gingersnap cookies, candied ginger, etc.) as they as often effective at calming car and sea sickness. (I think the only reason my mother travels is that it gives her a valid excuse for an adult to eat box after box of gingersnaps!)

3 days 2 nights ought to do it if you're in a rush. I'd basically do a driveby in Pai, preferring to stay over the mountain in Pang Mapha. Next day have breakfast and a walkround in Mae Hong Son, lunch in Khun Yuam (maybe see the japanese war museum, nice guy runs it) and stay overnight in Mae Sariang (avery underrated town IMO), Next day leave early and if the rains have come, do some innertubing on the river running through Ob Luang National Park. Take the back way into Doi Inthanon through Mae Chaem (very very dry right now), Enjoy

http://www.budget.co.th/images/world/worldclass_mae_eng.pdf

Those are great tips from both Folkguitar and Lannarebirth. It makes you step in your car and go straight away :D, if you would have the time :o

Although, the pinned subject is about 'one or two days out', these tips should definitely be in there, methinks. :D

Nienke

I'd recommend at least 3 nights 4 days minimum. Any less & you are going to want to go back & see what you've missed.

1 night Pai

1 night Soppong, (really late start from Pai. 1 - 1 1/2 hrs Pai - Soppong)

1 or 2 nights Mae Hong Son

1 night Mae Chaem / Mae Sarieng.

If you enjoy driving on R1095 then take R1263 Khun Yuam - Mae Chaem - Doi Inthanon back to Chiang Mai.

If you thought R105 was a bit too tight & steep, then return to Cnx via R108, it is a much faster smoother more flowing drive than R1263. But if you enjoy the tighter more twisty forested stuff then take R1263.

Take your time & overnight in Mae Chaem or Mae Sarieng on the way back, to give yourself time on Doi Inthanon.

In a hurry, then start off early & do it all MHS - Cnx in a day.

For great side trips on the way, consider

Rak Thai / Mae Aw

The long necks at Nai Soi

the War Museum in Khun Yuam is interesting for some people (please yourself but take a look)

Meo Microwave (incredibly steep narrow & winding)

Wat Mae Pang is very pretty

Doi Inthanon (the highest mtn) via Chaem & either R1263 or via R1088

In Pai hit the Bebop Pub, after 10pm.

If you stay in Soppong (backpacker free) stay at the Soppong River Inn. A real hidden gem in North Thailand. Or if you want to swim stay at the Little Eden, another beautiful place but with a pool.

In Mae Hong Son don't miss a traditional 2hr Thai massage at Baan Thai, the best in North Thailand!

In Mae Hong Son hit the Crossroads Pub (say hello to Nok the bartendee) & Chalet disco (say hello to La the singer.)

Enjoy it all. It's good fun. Ha. Ha.