Sending Laptop To Thailand

Rodders

Hi

Quick question, I want to send a laptop to my girlfriend next week. What would be the quickest way to do this? Would it be best to just take It to the Post Office?

Will there be any extra charge when it gets into Thailand?

Hi

Quick question, I want to send a laptop to my girlfriend next week. What would be the quickest way to do this? Would it be best to just take It to the Post Office?

Will there be any extra charge when it gets into Thailand?

Bad idea. the duty on electronics to Thailand is over 100% Another thing to think about is that if it dosn't have a Thai keyboard than it will be of limited use to her. better to hand carry it next trip.

Having said all that there is a very small chance that it will get discovered in the mail (EMS) if it does she will have to pay.

Only send this is it is worth it, meaning if it is an old one worth 10,000 Baht it would cost that to send it and the chances are it would get stolen in normal mail. If it is a high quality one consider sending it via Fedex and just declare is as a present with no description. ( i did this with a NAS box worth 2,000 USD last year and paid no import ).

Cheers everyone, had thought of all these possibilities just needed them confirming.

Safest option is to give her some money to buy one I think. I just thought if It was cheap and easy to send one it would be a good idea as you can get them cheap over here in the right places.

If you used www.shop4thai.com they will delivery to anywhere in Thailand for you and I have never had a problem. I have ordered things for delivery with a UK card and had things delivered in Thailand no problem. Laptops are so cheap in Thailand now. BTW the Asys EEE PC is great.

Post Office Experience.

Having now had 2 items sent EMS 1 from Australia and 1 from the US, I can say that posting items of value to Thailand is a no no.

Item 1 USPS, dissappeared without a trace, until insistant mails to USPS finally gave me a telephone number to contact in LOS, a page full of 'its not our problem' phone numbers later, and a threatening wife, we found it in he backblocks of the parcel room, gathering dust.

Item 2 EMS, A box of personal effects, which included our wedding rings. They made me go down, open the thing up in front of them, then they determine (with the same fair and just system the men in brown use) what your things are worth, then slug you with MAJOR import tax. I could have bought our rings again for the amount they took from me in 'tax'

Oh and I forgot this one

My HDD broke, Western Digital, Made in Thailand. For repair/replacement it had to be sent to Singapore!! When it was returned, you guessed it 'VAT tax' had to be paid or they would not deliver it. So I payed double VAT on the drive as well as the postage costs... nice service WD. duh! FedEx.....

Everyone is so busy dipping their hands in your pockets nothing gets done in an efficient manner.... gotta love it!!

Wait until you come here, send money, but dont trust posting stuff, FedEx, UPS, EMS all the same!!

Edited by ozsamurai

Not to mention a employee of Thai Royal Mail might end up with it instead of gf. :D

I have never heard of an EMS that has gone missing permanently, Brit. They can be tracked down. Do you know otherwise?

Sent some items and lets say they never made it to their destination in thailand, they did make it to thailand from the tracking, but vanished shortly there after. Luckily insurance kicked in. :D I used to send bday cards, but thats another waste of time. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Bad idea. the duty on electronics to Thailand is over 100% Another thing to think about is that if it dosn't have a Thai keyboard than it will be of limited use to her. better to hand carry it next trip.

Having said all that there is a very small chance that it will get discovered in the mail (EMS) if it does she will have to pay.

The duty will not be anywhere near 100%, but there will be something to pay,

even if it is only VAT.

The keyboard will be a problem for a Thai.

The guarantee/service issues will be a problem.

Much better to buy locally. :o

thanks everyone for the advice. All worked out fine, got laptop on the cheap and luckily enough I found out one of my friends was flying over yesterday so sent it with him.

In regards to the keyboard then she can get this replaced in thai or plug in a USB keyboard I guess? What ever happens will still have a computer when I go over to use.

The duty will not be anywhere near 100%, but there will be something to pay,

even if it is only VAT.

Sorry to disagree but check this out re import tax and duty: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Sampl...?menuNme=Sample

This webpage has very little to do with the rate of customs duty on computers imported into Thailand - which is actually 0%.

It may be more enlightening to have a look here instead:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

BTW, laptop computers are classified under 8471.30 in the Import Tariff, if you get that far.

In regards to the keyboard then she can get this replaced in thai or plug in a USB keyboard I guess? What ever happens will still have a computer when I go over to use.

She can use stickers with Thai letters. Easy peasy

Replacing a keyboard would be about 5000 baht for a sony laptop

Plugging in a keyboard would make the laptop a desktop

And tell her to learn to blindtype