What Books are you Reading (2024)

CharlieH

Impossible to answer as I'm always reading or browsing about 20 books at once.

But beside my bed is a book I've been reading at a rate of about 4 pages a night before falling asleep: Gonçalvo M. Tavares' 'Uma viagem à Índia' which I'm reading in French translation (no Eng version as yet). Poetic and weird but interesting enough to keep me going (wondering where it's leading - well, to India actually).

• 1 month later...

Mikaiel Sholokov, a very hard read. "And Quiet Flows the Don," "Tales of the Don" etc.

Sometimes you can't wait to put it down, but very, very informative of the Russian history, psyche and background to the current war.

If you want to understand Putin involve yourself in this stuff.

Edited by alphone2

Just had 5 days break down at Bang Saray and took a book I was given by a fellow musician a few years ago.

How Music Got Free by Stephen Witt (2015) is the story/history of the mp3 file. Very interesting reading for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just had 5 days break down at Bang Saray and took a book I was given by a fellow musician a few years ago.

How Music Got Free by Stephen Witt (2015) is the story/history of the mp3 file. Very interesting reading for me.

That must have brought music to your ears!

🎵

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

🎵

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

🎵

And money in my bank as it has done for years!

Hi there, I am interested in the 20th century development of Bangkok and also crime related non-fiction.

Does anyone have a personal recommendation of a book they enjoyed. Could you say why you like it also if that's okay?

I should add I have read The Damage Done and enjoyed that. Something about the criminal underworld of Bangkok would be interesting as well as the development of the city. I don't suppose there's much chance of me finding a single publication that covers both, so I am happy to part with well-earned cash for 2 or 3 if necessary. No problem. As mentioned, personal,recommendations only, please don't say google it.

I should add I have read The Damage Done and enjoyed that. Something about the criminal underworld of Bangkok would be interesting as well as the development of the city. I don't suppose there's much chance of me finding a single publication that covers both, so I am happy to part with well-earned cash for 2 or 3 if necessary. No problem. As mentioned, personal,recommendations only, please don't say google it. Nothing about what to do in Bangkok also please, been here far too long for that stuff. No guides or touristic stuff. Just history of the city or criminal underworld but non-fiction.

Edited by Deserted

Hello, i just finished reading the fourth edition of Chris Baker/Pasuk Phongpaichit: A History of Thailand (2022), ending with the year 2020 (Covid, demonstrations). 

What do YOU think about the book? What did they miss? Are there better reads for lay readers (not historians)? Or a good job? What about the style?

Asking members who read the 4th or 3rd (2014) edition. 

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 8:07 PM, Mediappy said:

To be honest, I haven't read any new books in 2024 yet.

Currently, I'm diving back into the magical world of Hogwarts by re-reading the Harry Potter books in order. It's like revisiting an old friend and rediscovering the wonders of Hogwarts all over again.
If you're still looking for reading material, I highly recommend revisiting the Harry Potter books. They never fail to captivate and enchant, no matter how many times you've read them.Happy reading, and may your literary adventures be as spellbinding as ever!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 6:08 AM, Mediappy said:

Currently, I'm diving back into the magical world of Hogwarts by re-reading the Harry Potter books in order. It's like revisiting an old friend and rediscovering the wonders of Hogwarts all over again.
If you're still looking for reading material, I highly recommend revisiting the Harry Potter books. They never fail to captivate and enchant, no matter how many times you've read them.Happy reading, and may your literary adventures be as spellbinding as ever!

I did this too but in all honesty it was an escape. It now feels like wasted time but when I was in it I was spell bound too and it's full of intricacies every two or three chapter there's a revelation or a 180 turnaround. Like playing. board games.

I am reading an Ebook by Sam Barone called 'Conflict of Empires'.

It is based on an area similar to Mesopotamia around (I think) somewhere between 600 and 1,000 AD, about tribal warfare and the building of an empire. It is fiction and I have a problem putting it down.

• 3 weeks later...

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zout by David Mitchell

A novel set in late 18th century Japan and the involvement of the Dutch East India Company there. I am really enjoying it, although i have yet to read a David Mitchell book that I didn't enjoy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading this during the end of the HOT SEASON:

a. I am moving back to Linux, and dumping Windows, for now and future.

b. I have, in the past, been attacked by ransomware, and it is real.

c. I like the author.

d.  The book has received good reviews. (But, this is not about MASTERING but more like an less in-depth look.)

e. As Windows moves to AI, and a new focus on designing for the consumer-masses, the silent majority of social media know-nothings, I will enjoy openSUSE Leap for the coming years.  And so, it will be good to know more about LInux Security and Ransomware attacks, etc.

Mastering Linux Security and Hardening Third Edition

This guy even LOOKS like a hacker, too!

And, he owns an Edsel!