Reg. Mail From Thailand To Foreign Lands Cheap?

meowchawpnom

I was asking around about prices for document delivery at DHL, UPS and places like that and one woman told me that the Thailand post office had some kind of service that guarantees delivery to foreign countries, very cheap, much cheaper than Fedex and the others.

She said it was called Jot Mai Long Tat Bien if I heard her correctly, and said it was registered, guaranteed mail and you could confirm delivery.

Is this true? Or did she get it wrong and this is only for domestic mail? Has anyone used this service?

Thanks.

EMS registered post. Gets expensive for heavier items though. But regular post can go missing.

I used EMS a couple of times, once for a letter and once for a package. They claim three day delivery time to the US from Thailand. There is another option that is something like one week delivery, but I can't remember what that is called. It was marginally cheaper.

For the package, it would have been much cheaper to send via boat, but it would have taken two months. Since it was not something I do very often (I was sending souvenirs to my mom) I didn't sweat the cost.

Registered Air Mail is cheap and has to be signed for and is keep in vaults but you do not have real time tracking ability with it. I have never lost anything sent to US using this mail (use for insurance claims and such).

Express Mail Service (EMS) is more along the lines of DHL and Fed Ex but run by post office with pickup service and perhaps tracking (don't use so not sure). Believe it is a lot more expensive than Registered service but gets priority attention.

Sending smallish registered airmail or ems items out of Thailand is ok if you are happy about the timeconstraint and slight unreliability in this respect. Items may get lost, but this seems to occur more at the delivery end, depending on the postal service at destination.

I queried a packet with the Thai post office before, and they responded within 24 hrs, phoning me back and giving me the details of time and flight number with which the packet left. Tracing it at the other end (UK) was a completely different story...