Visting The Maldives

I want to take my girlfriend to the Maldives.

I dont know where to stay, who to fly with etc. I want to go for a week. Where can I get a package tour or should i just turn up.

I want to do this on a budget - 100,000 for a week all in (or less)

Any advice would be most welcome

I want to take my girlfriend to the Maldives.

I dont know where to stay, who to fly with etc. I want to go for a week. Where can I get a package tour or should i just turn up.

I want to do this on a budget - 100,000 for a week all in (or less)

Any advice would be most welcome

Bangkok Airways fly directly to the Maldives from Bangkok.

In a former life when I still had money I had a three week vacation in the Maldives. Great place perfect weather blue skies white sandy beaches and crystal clear water, fantastic diving.

The Maldives are a collection of small sandy islands, (highest point 2.4m.) even the airport is on a different island from the capital, not enough room for both on the same island. The resorts are all individual islands; mine was a couple of hours speedboat ride from the airport and small enough to walk round on less than an hour.

Speedboats and seaplane wait for their guests to arrive and whisk them of to their various resorts so it’s not really the sort of situation where you can just turn up and go wandering around looking for accommodation, though I guess it’d feasible, but you do really want to get to one of the island resorts and once the boats have gone you are stuck at the airport till the next batch come through to try for a resort.

The Maldives as you might expect are expensive but worth the experience. Enjoy. :D

:D

This info is from memory of long long ago so no guarantees to it’s accuracy :o

Check packages with club med (www.clubmed.co.th). They used to have a 4 days package to Maldives, all inclusive (food, drink, activities). I guess the price is around 40K/people. I've been there last October because there was some good promotion.

They have different options for flights, direct with air asia, through singapore or colombo. Prices are a bit different depending on the airline you choose. The resort is in good conditions as it has been rebuilt after the tsunami. Don't forget to bring water shoes with you as there are a lot of broken coral in the lagoon, again because of the tsunami.

You can easily go with the base accomodation (standard I guess). Rooms are confortable and the size is OK. I belive upgrading to water bungalow is not worth the price difference.

When are you thinking of going. I was looking at going away in May and the Maldives was one of the options, I was deterred due to the weather not being so reliable at this time of year and will postpone a trip to the Maldives to a season with more favourable weather.

Please, Once you have taken your trip let us know how you got on, how you got there, where you stayed etc. I would be very interested to learn much of this information as I may well travel there in the near future.