Trips To Mugdahan

dsfbrit

My wife has today had to rush off to Mugdahan to look after her mum who is in hospital. She could be there for up to 2 months.

I have stayed in Pattaya to look after things here.

I intend to go there myself once a week (ish) for a day or 2 - not sure yet, but I need to fly there as the bus takes about 12 hours.

I cannot be away from home for more than 2 days so the trip really needs to be quick and efficient.

Any ideas?? I have looked at the flight timetables, but there is no local airport.

You would probably have to fly to Khon Kaen, then get the bus / taxi to Mukdaharn (or hire a car). You are looking at about 3 - 4 hrs on a bus from KK

Maybe driving from Pattaya may be an option for you, that would take approx 10hrs, depending on driving speed.

I think there is also a bus service that runs from Pattaya - Mukdaharn

totster :o

You would probably have to fly to Khon Kaen, then get the bus / taxi to Mukdaharn (or hire a car). You are looking at about 3 - 4 hrs on a bus from KK

Maybe driving from Pattaya may be an option for you, that would take approx 10hrs, depending on driving speed.

I think there is also a bus service that runs from Pattaya - Mukdaharn

totster :D

Thanks for the quick response Totster. There is definitely a bus from Pattaya North Station as I dropped my wife off there this morning. Leaves as 8.30 am and arrives at 8.30 pm - what fun! I don't fancy that at all :o

So I reckon, 1 hour on the plane? 4 hours on a bus and the drive to the airport about 90 mnutes. so 6-7 hours of travelling.

Its the 4 hours on a bus that puts me off - anyone know of a closer airport??? Is this really the closest Airport? On the map there are a couple of small airports marked - I suppose they very small and private.

Its the 4 hours on a bus that puts me off - anyone know of a closer airport??? Is this really the closest Airport?

I think you'd find Ubon airport the best bet - and there's an excellent road from Ubon to Mukdahan and the airport has car hire desks.

I have done some digging

Sakhon Nakhon is closer.

You can fly from Suvarnabhumi (which is more convenient for you) with PB Air for around bt4000 return

Probably about 60-90 mins driving time from there to Muk

totster :o

There is also a direct bus from Chon Buri to Mukdahan but it takes about 10 hours overnight.

If you fly into Ubon R. and don't want to drive, give the Ploy Palace a call. They have 2x per day a van that picks up people from Ubon with the fare being 200Baht per way.

There is also a direct bus from Chon Buri to Mukdahan but it takes about 10 hours overnight.

If you fly into Ubon R. and don't want to drive, give the Ploy Palace a call. They have 2x per day a van that picks up people from Ubon with the fare being 200Baht per way.

Thanks for the feedback. The Chonburi bus would not be a problem for me if I were going for a few days. The trouble is, as I can only go for 48 hours at a time, with the bus it means half of the time is spent travelling.

I will look into the other option you suggest now.

I think I will take the plane. The total cost with taxes is 6000 baht, flight about an hour and its from Suvarnabhumi. I cannot complain at that. Then I will hire a car in Sakon Nakhon.

Should be quite a pleasant trip.

I will let you know.

Thanks again for your help.

It looks like Sakon Nakhon is about 119km from Mukdahan or if you took a flight to Nakhon Phanom its only 104km from Mukdahan. Sometimes its hard to get flights on short notice so either airport could be used.

It looks like Sakon Nakhon is about 119km from Mukdahan or if you took a flight to Nakhon Phanom its only 104km from Mukdahan. Sometimes its hard to get flights on short notice so either airport could be used.

Nice one - there is a regular bus service down as well - from 5am to 5 pm.

thanks.

Just arrived in Mukdahan today - took a flight to Ubon from Don Muang, then the Ploy Palace Hotel van (350 baht per person - brand new van) - the flight was only 50 minutes but the van ride was 2 hours. Roughly 150 km away, mostly smooth ride.

I think the trouble with the two closer provinces is infrequent or inconvenient flight schedules - whereas there are 3 flights a day into Ubon.

But if you're planning to drive, I guess it doesn't make too much difference.

The flight to Ubon was just over 4000 baht, but no changes or refunds.

Now to figure out how to get across the border to Savannakhet as I have a meeting there... fortunately no need to do a visa run...

I went there last year, flew to Ubon and hired a car for a few days. Seemed like a 2 hour drive over great roads for the most part. There is a Mukdahan thread on the Orient-Expat forum that tells of a new , and very reasonably priced serviced apt there. Have not seen it myself .

There is a bus that goes from Muk station to Savannakhet via the bridge. It will wait at the respective checkpoints while you get your stamps, or in the Lao sides case your visa.

Totster

Thanks Totster - discovered that the hard way LOL. Cost is 45-50 baht each way and you may find yourself standing on the bus, but it's only a short hop. Waiting time at each immigration stop is 20-30 minutes depending on whether or not any of the people on the bus have any problems with immigration or customs.

While it would probably be better to take the bus from the stations, you can get on the bus right at the bridge, but make sure you buy a ticket (on the left before immigration at the Thai side, and on the left AFTER immigration on the Lao side).

On the Lao side, if you don't have a Lao visa, go to a window on the left after you get off the bus to get your visa - do NOT go up to the immigration counters where everyone else will be queuing up as you will have wasted your time and will be sent back to the window - which is marked with a red sign in white lettering saying "Visa on Arrival". Easy to miss if you don't know what you're looking for.

When you go through Lao immigration, they always tell you 40 baht. Your response should be "For what?" and walk away as there are no fees for passing through immigration.

I went there last year, flew to Ubon and hired a car for a few days. Seemed like a 2 hour drive over great roads for the most part. There is a Mukdahan thread on the Orient-Expat forum that tells of a new , and very reasonably priced serviced apt there. Have not seen it myself .

Ok - I will look at that thanks.

Just arrived in Mukdahan today - took a flight to Ubon from Don Muang, then the Ploy Palace Hotel van (350 baht per person - brand new van) - the flight was only 50 minutes but the van ride was 2 hours. Roughly 150 km away, mostly smooth ride.

I think the trouble with the two closer provinces is infrequent or inconvenient flight schedules - whereas there are 3 flights a day into Ubon.

But if you're planning to drive, I guess it doesn't make too much difference.

The flight to Ubon was just over 4000 baht, but no changes or refunds.

Now to figure out how to get across the border to Savannakhet as I have a meeting there... fortunately no need to do a visa run...

I think you are right, there is not really a lot of difference in the 3 locations, even though some are further. I dont know about you, but as long as I can avoid 12 hours in a bus - air conditioned or not - I will be pretty happy!

You mention you are going into Lao - I actually wondered initially if it would be easier to fly in Lao and then just cross back into Thailand - I decided it probably wasn't worth the hassle.

I think you are right, there is not really a lot of difference in the 3 locations, even though some are further. I dont know about you, but as long as I can avoid 12 hours in a bus - air conditioned or not - I will be pretty happy!

You mention you are going into Lao - I actually wondered initially if it would be easier to fly in Lao and then just cross back into Thailand - I decided it probably wasn't worth the hassle.

I can stand a max of about 3 hours in any vehicle. The hotel van took 2.

Flying into Laos is not a possibility in that area, as the Savannakhet Airport is not open. You would basically have to fly into some other airport like Vientiane and then face the same long road trip.

In the future, however, the Savannakhet airport is supposed to serve that entire area as Mukdahan has committed to not building an airport to compete.

Thats interesting. Over the last few days I have learnt a lot about this region. I Googled the airport and found quite a few articles. The following is typical:

Thailand's Foreign Minister today confirms his government commitment to work with Japan to help Laos modernize Savannakhet airport to transform it into an important international economic and transportation link in the Mekong sub-region by 2008.

The top Thai diplomat was addressing a conference in Mukdahan on the development of a special economic zone between Thailand's Mukdahan province and Laos' Savannakhet.

Is it any nearer completion?

• 3 weeks later...

Armed with your helpful advice I start these trips next week.

I have booked PBAir from the new airport to Nakhon Phanom, due to flight times mainly, they go early in the morning Friday and return quite late Sunday - so perfect for me. The return cost is 6300 Baht.

I will then probably stay at the Ploy for about 1000 Baht a night. My wife is looking into this now.

I have one more question please.

When I arrive in Nakhon Phanom, how do I catch the bus to Mukdahan, without being 'grabbed' by the inevitable local taxi 'services' and various touts??? :o

Thanks again for all the feedback, its been really helpful.

^^^look for a "skylab", that's how they call the equivalent of BKK 'tuk-tuk' in Isaan, and tell the driver you'd like to see the famous Wat That Phanom. 200m from the south side of this temple, the nearby mekong river being east as reference, is a small bus station. ask around, there's a Muk-NkPnm bus..

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I have asked my wife to arrange a cab to pick me up from Mukdahan. I got 'worn out' thinking about it :o

The final straw was realising the bus station in Mukdahan is out of town as well, so I would have to get another cab or 'Sky Lab' into town.

Dealing with taxi drivers twice in one day was just toooo much !! :D