materials for biofuel, especially for the E85, a mixture of 85%

ethanol and 15% petrol, which the government hopes will ease the cost

pressures on motorists while boosting the farm sector. Currently, the

Asian agricultural giant produces about 70 million tonnes of sugarcane

and 28 million tonnes of tapioca annually. As a net exporter of both

crops, there has been little, if any, pressure on domestic supplies as

far as the food sector is concerned. On the other hand, farmers appear

to have gained a better price for their crops and look forward to

expanding their acreage to tap the new demand for biofuel crops.

Currently, the Thai ethanol industry has licences to produce over 10

million litres per day, but actual output is still less than 2 million

litres, leaving considerable scope for further expansion to meet

growing domestic and export demand. Khon Kaen Sugar Industry (KSL)

said it expects revenue for its 2008 business year to exceed $292

million, thanks to the strength of its sugar and ethanol business. The

company currently operates four sugar plants in Thailand, and an

ethanol plant with a daily production capacity of 150,000 litres. KSL

is now financing sugarcane plantations and processing plants in

Cambodia and Laos, both scheduled to start operations next year. From

2010, both projects will produce around 50,000 tonnes, or 30% of their

total capacities.

KSL is also eyeing earnings from increasing its biomass production and

fertiliser production, doubling its power plant’s output to 40

megawatts. As its biomass power plant received a United Nations clean

development mechanism (CDM) certificate for cutting carbon emissions

by 40,000 tonnes a year, from next year KSL could earn US$1 mln a year

trading carbon credits. A second power plant will also be built by

early 2010.

The huge potential for Thailand’s sugar and ethanol sectors will be

discussed by leading industry experts at F.O. Licht’s Sugar and

Ethanol Asia conference, held in Bangkok from 26-27 November 2008. Top

representatives from the Thai Sugar Millers Corporation, the Thai Cane

and Sugar Board, the Thai Ethanol Manufacturers Association, and the

Thai Roong Ruang Group will all be present, providing the latest

information and forecasts for future growth.

Speakers from Australia, China, Indonesia and Pakistan will widen the

debate to the regional and global contexts and further opportunities

for investment and expansion in the fast-expanding Asian economies.

Vietnam will also be represented by Dang Xuan Tho, Deputy General

Director of state-oil firm Petrosetco. Vietnam is becoming a major

destination for ethanol plant investment, with pilot projects for

testing biofuel launched in Hanoi during September. At present the

biofuel is imported from Brazil, so several companies are now planning

domestic production capacity to meet rising demand.

• 4 weeks later...
I have learned a lot from your posts Khunwan. I spent the month of November in TH. That is when I agreed to then send the money to buy the 70 rai in December / January. We had bought 10 rai sight unseen (from her Grandmother's sister) about a year ago but when I finally saw the land I had a gut feel that it was not a wrong thing to do.... It is very beautiful up there and I wanted to help create something that throws off some income independent of working for a big company....a bit if self sufficiency... My problem was that while I trust that they all know what they are doing (since some of them live up there and that is what they do) - I didn't know enough about the financial dynamics. I would just get a call - need fertiliser - need to weed - etc... don't worry - we are going to get $x per rai. Plus sometimes we were talking acres then rai then kilos / tons / raw roots versus chips - it was a bit confusing for me to sort out. I basically wanted to know the yields per rai, the prices and the expenses.... Now I have a pretty good understanding and I am quite happy about it all. Our land was a bit more expensive than 10K a rai (closer to 30) - so the payback is a bit longer. As we add land - they will be cheaper pieces to bring down the average cost. I love the location - beside the mountain and there is a temple there above us. From our 10 rai spot we look over to our 70 rai spot (2nd pic - can see the moutain in the back) ..... Attached is a pic from when the land was being cleared. My previous posts show the plants at 1 month. There is a sense of satisfaction in growing things and making a bit of money.....In BKK our office had about 40 people. I was the Finance Director and so I did the Budget and I know the salaries / bonuses etc... My accountant was top notch and I paid her 90K THB per month. But most middle managers make about 50K THB per month. So my goals was to create an income for the spouse that is comparable to having a decent job in BKK but without having a boss, daily grind etc... I think at 200 rai - it looks pretty good and as you said - the payback is not so long....

Thanks for the posts and I will keep learning!

Hi CADLoeiFarmer,

I'm a bit late to this thread but I hope you get 'posted' with this response. I too have land in Ban Dung, as well as some rubber up around Bung Kan - I'd really like to get into contact and 'compare notes'. I'm at a loss to know what to grow on this land (about 20 rai) - its been used mainly for rice in the past but I'm wanting something of realtively low maintenance.

Thanks for your post - and to all the others.... very informative!

Hello - I am really a hands off silent partner. Bought the land - built the house etc.. I am in Canada - get pics every week. The difference between myself and perhaps some others is that we have a son - dual passport - Thai / Canada - so from my point of view was happy to set it all up.

i just drove past the cassava plant outside of Kalasin today (November 08/2008) and the price was ฿1.54 up from ฿1.51 the last time I looked (about two weeks ago) so maybe the price has bottomed out and is on its way up. I won't be harvesting for another few months, but at the time of planting the price was ฿2.18 and there was talk of it going over ฿3 by the time my harvest time came. Who knows maybe that will happen, but I doubt it, as it is now, when considering the initial cost of stems I will probably be in a lost situation. Oh well I have started out small to see how it goes, so I'm not looking at much of a money loss. Issangeorge

i just drove past the cassava plant outside of Kalasin today (November 08/2008) and the price was ฿1.54 up from ฿1.51 the last time I looked (about two weeks ago) so maybe the price has bottomed out and is on its way up. I won't be harvesting for another few months, but at the time of planting the price was ฿2.18 and there was talk of it going over ฿3 by the time my harvest time came. Who knows maybe that will happen, but I doubt it, as it is now, when considering the initial cost of stems I will probably be in a lost situation. Oh well I have started out small to see how it goes, so I'm not looking at much of a money loss. Issangeorge

Thanks for that info IG ,even at that price you should at least break square,and maybe have some left over for next crop,now that u have stems and a bit more know how,,, going on knowans figues ....i only put half the recomended fertilizer in and after 5 & half months the mrs pull up a tumbler that was a meter long,so i hope after 12 months we have a heavey crop as i hope yours and others are

,pak chong was 1.60 a kilo last week, i'll wait till april [12 months]and hope the price gets up to the old.

I was going to go all in and buy 200 rai tractor etc,which at the moment i am glad i did'nt,i brought 2 meter taxis in pattaya instead or at least the mrs did,and now we have a monthly income we can rely on,, except for a few hicups getting decent reliable drivers,there are some very nice thai guys out there who do the right thing by their family

i hope the rain did not hurt any of you.

cat

• 1 month later...

Weekly fresh cassava prices paid 16th December 2008

East Korat (A. Muang, Nong Bunnak, Soeng Sang), Si Sa Ket.........................1.40 - 1.65 baht/kg

West Korat (A. Sikhio, Dan Khun Thot), Chaiyaphum, Lopburi, Saraburi).........1.40 - 1.55 baht/kg

Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Mukdahan........................................1.40 baht/kg

Loei, Sakon Nakhon, Udon Thani..................................................................1.33 - 1.45 baht/kg

Chon Buri, Rayong......................................................................1.30 - 1.46 baht/kg

Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao......................................1.45 - 1.55 baht/kg

Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Phitsanulok, Uttaradit................................1.40 - 1.50 baht/kg

Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi South..................................................................1.30 - 1.46 baht/kg

Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi North..............................................1.45 - 1.50 baht/kg

This data (and more detail, in Thai) from: http://www.thaitapiocastarch.org/market.asp

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan it is nice of you to post this info. It would be nice if you could update it every week or even two. I have checked the site you quote, but the English version only has the starch price which as you know is different from the cassava price. Thanks again. Issangeorge

Khonwan it is nice of you to post this info. It would be nice if you could update it every week or even two. I have checked the site you quote, but the English version only has the starch price which as you know is different from the cassava price. Thanks again. Issangeorge

Thank you Issangeorge - I intend to try to do so every week.

Rgds

Khonwan

A government guaranteed cassava price of 1,700 baht per tonne is currently being offered to people registering their cassava crops with BAAC. You can register up to 200 tonnes (based on a fixed formula of 4 tonne per rai) in the case of farms in Nakhon Sawan, 250 tonnes in Kampaengphet, and similar limits elsewhere. I understand the guarantee price to be applicable for harvests from January-April. Be aware that your farm may be inspected to ensure that you have at least the amount of cultivated cassava land that you have registered.

Best wishes to all for 2009

Khonwan

• 2 weeks later...

Weekly fresh cassava prices paid 6th January 2009

East Korat (A. Muang, Nong Bunnak, Soeng Sang), Si Sa Ket.........................1.40 - 1.55 baht/kg

West Korat (A. Sikhio, Dan Khun Thot), Chaiyaphum, Lopburi, Saraburi).........1.40 - 1.60 baht/kg

Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, Mukdahan..................................1.37-1.43 baht/kg

Loei, Sakon Nakhon, Udon Thani..................................................................1.36 - 138. baht/kg

Chon Buri, Rayong......................................................................1.40 - 1.46 baht/kg

Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao......................................1.45 - 1.55 baht/kg

Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Phitsanulok, Uttaradit................................1.40 - 1.50 baht/kg

Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi South..................................................................1.30 - 1.46 baht/kg

Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi North..............................................1.45 baht/kg

This data (and more detail, in Thai) from: http://www.thaitapiocastarch.org/market.asp

Rgds

Khonwan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,New Entry.

Asking infomations from experts in cassva.

50 Rai near Chaiyaaphum.Planted first time cassava May/June last year.Few days ago i checked a few stems and the roots of each stem weight near 2kgs.is this good,bad or normal?? I suppose to harvest by the end of March. Is it good 10 months period??The roots weight will increase even though no rain??

Thanks for any reply and suggestion.

Giustino

Hi Giustino

Whether nearly 2kg weight of roots per tree is good or bad depends on your tree spacings. If you have planted at 0.50m x 0.95m, you have 3,368 trees per rai [=1,600 / (0.50 x 0.95) ]. An average of 2kg would return 6.736 tonne/rai, which would be very good.

I would delay harvest to March – the tubers will continue to grow (albeit more slowly) and will improve in starch value. Delaying harvest until December should yield a yet much better harvest. You should perhaps leave at least one rai to December to satisfy yourself that 18-month harvests (2-year cycles) return a much better profit.

Tell us what variety you have planted (for general interest), spacings, whether the land was deeper-ploughed with 3-disc plough, type & amount of fertiliser applied.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan,

at first tks for reply and suggestions.

We (my wife and i) following the Dept.Of Agicolture advice (we are not farmer) spaced the stems 1X0.80 hence 1600 trees per rai. They told us more space larger roots.Unfortunately it seems not a good advice.

As you say better to harvest in a 18 period and i think we will follow your advice (hoping to have by Dec. a better price per Kg.) I have noticed many farmes planting at any time of the year.Is this rigth?

The stems we used were Hueybong and Kassersat (no sure right spelling).I remember the stems were quite small and not that fresh.The land was deep ploughed with No 4 and No 7 disc. We used fertlizer 15.15.15 and the quantity has been 25kG per rai because of 1600 trees.

If you notice any mistake in our system pls.let us know.

Rgds

Giustino

Hi Giustino

1m x 0.8m = 2,000 trees per rai, so perhaps the total yield isn’t quite so bad as you thought. Standard Dept. of Ag. advice is 0.80-1m x 0.80-1m – nothing wrong with this (my own spacings are closer but I wouldn’t expect any difference in overall yield per rai).

Kasertsat 50 is fine and Huey Bong 60 very good in my opinion. Using stems within days of being cut is always better than “within weeks” – the fresher the better.

15-15-15 is fine but Dept. of Ag’s. suggestion (which I follow) is for 15-7-18 (in the absence of proper soil analysis). The former (15-15-15) is more costly than the latter due to the extra phosphate (the middle number), which doesn’t tend to increase yields in the case of cassava. The extra potassium (the third figure) in the latter is of much greater use to cassava.

As per my opening post, I recommend 100kg of 15-7-18 (by the way, the figures mean each 50kg bag is made up of 15% N, 7% P, 18% K – the remaining 60% is mostly inert binding material though also includes small quantities of magnesium, calcium, etc.).

Had you spaced your trees at 1m x 1m you would have 1,600 trees….but the fertiliser recommendation of 100kg per rai would still apply. 1,600 trees per rai will tend to yield a fairly similar total yield per rai as 3,200 trees per rai. The amount of fertiliser should be matched to the total expected yield (of tubers) per rai rather than the number of trees.

Cassava can be planted at most times of the year. If planting for 11 months (one-year cycle), I plant March/April; for 18 months (two-year cycle), I plant in June.

Rgds

Khonwan

My local Sahagon phoned yesterday to inform me that 15-7-18 is available at Bt895 per 50kg bag. I had reckoned it may be down to Bt800 by now – pity. Anyone else with a current price for this fertiliser in your area?

Rgds

Khonwan

P.S. This is a good time to fill up all those old fertiliser bags with sand or loose soil for later use in the rainy season to repair/prevent water gullies and consequential soil erosion & tree-loss.

hi khonwan,

I have learned alot from your discussion on Cassava.. Though this is my first time to post.

I wonder if I can manage to bring Rayong cultivars from thailand to Singapore.

Would it be possible? I would like to do a trial using our soil conditioner at 3 varying rates and 1/2 reduced inorganic fertilization in comparing with the usual farmers practice.

Hi nelsonabs

I suspect you could (as long as the Singapore authorities have no objections!). You would have to cut the stems (keep them long), fly, and stand in damp earth (...or cut and plant) all on the same day.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Khonwan and all,

Khonwan, you have done valuable and helpful information on Cassava in Thailand.

I would like to share some information on Cassava plantation that I hands on especially with foliar fertilizer to improve yield with cost effective and time saving.

With the pictures I attached the cassava at my factory in Karnjanaburi are given "Spoon feeding" foliar fertilizer "POWER" by monthly interval for with a special application (mist blower) to minimize labor cost and foliar fertilizer solution cost. (200 liters solution covers 6.25 rai)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

This cassava I harvest less than 10 months old with the variety of Rayong 35. I got average 9.3 ton per rai with 2,600 cassavas per rai with applications of foliar fertilizer and without granule fertilizer at all. I did on 10 rai. As the farmer that sold me the variety with their maximum yield was 4 tons per rai at 11 months harvest. I believe there still some progress can be improve on the application and I did. Because the varies of the cassava weight is now depend on the application. Maximum I got is 12.5 kg per cassava and minimum is 3 kg per cassava on sampling.

Before May 2009,I will start a new cassava project in NaKonRachSriMa Province for another 100-200 rai and this time with my calculation will make at least 15 tons per rai within 11 months. At 2,600 cassavas per rai. Will notify and welcome for plantation visit.

Regards,

Chanat S.

+668 6 505 3040, 086 505 3040

PS. Anyone need information on these I'm happy to explain to you guys more on the phone.

ChanatS, I would be very interested in a step by step explanation of how you planted your cassava and what the name of the fertilizer you used is, how much is it, and where do you get it? Also have you heard of the method of planting longer than normal stems with 4 notches in them and soaked in a special herb formula and then planted between the furrows, it is suppose to get a yield of up to 30 tonnes per rai? I am sure all people reading this thread would be interested in any info you have, so please post in the thread for all to see. Thank you. Issangeorge

Dear Issangeorge,

The detail about the production is below and the foliar fertilizer is from my company.

About the question you ask, if you can give me the herb formula name I would find out what it is. Also as you mention only soak I certainly say it’s hard to believe that will get 30 tons per rai if there is no appropriate fertilization.

Production procedure:

- Soak bundle of stems (20 cm. each long) 1 minute with solution of POWER™-1 at 40cc with 20 liters of water. (This will help increase rate of survival new stem on ground) use 400cc in 200 liters drum. 128 Baht for all stem.

- Planting stems

- Spray with Urena™ at 2nd week or after first leaf come up 3 days with the solution 200 cc with 20 liters of water (This will encourage fast growing at emergence stage) 33 Baht per rai

- From the 4th week spray all over the cassava with POWER™-1 with solution of 200 cc with 20 liters of water. Continue biweekly (4th 6th 8th 10th 12th week) 5 times cost 266 baht per rai.

- Fertilizer 15-15-15 at 3 months old with 20 kg. per rai (recommended but I didn’t use this time) 25 baht per kg. 500 baht per rai. Forget to put it in!!!

- At 3rd month spray POWER™-1 solution of 500 cc with 20 liters of water on biweekly basis (14th 16th 18th 20th week). Cost 1,070 baht per rai. (purpose: encourage growth)

- At 5th month spray POWER™-2 solution of 500 cc with 20 liters of water. On biweekly basis (22nd 24th 26th 28th 30th 32nd week) until before harvest 2 weeks. Cost 1,600 baht per rai. (purpose: enlarge roots)

- Tractor Kubota small one use 2 liters of diesel cost approximate 30 baht per rai at a time run around the plantation 17 times cost 1,120 baht per rai.

- The gun sprayer and mist blower attach behind tractor, I made cost 80,000 baht. Actually, at first 6 months I use the gun sprayer and it was not doing a good job on spreading the solution enough. So I develop for mist blower, which is better on application to cover the cassava leaf and use only one worker drove and adjust. I did not count the cost in here.

- Therefore, the cost add up to 128+33+266+1,070+1,600+1,120 = 4,217 baht per rai

- The rest is same as Khonwan does except it cost more a little bit around 3,200 baht because 10 works per rai at (150 baht each per day) to get things done here. Just want to know the result as quick as possible. However, I didn’t put in the granule fertilizer because I focus on the application too much hurrr. With this cost is adding with the stem around 670 baht per rai already.

In conclusion, I spend about 4,300+3,200 = 7,500 baht per rai for this corp and return at 1.1 baht per kg. - 3% (SaHaKorn deduct on impurities) =1.067 baht per kg. sell at avg 9.3 per rai equal income 9,920 - expense 7,500 = 2,420 baht per rai.

Regards,

Chanat S.

I am also going to leave about half my cassava another 6 months a well and once the rain comes will add 50KG/rai of fertilizer.

I only used 1 lot last year so figure I should add the second lot now.

No idea if this is the right thing to do but figure it can't do any harm and should pay for itself with a better harvest.

Hi, we planted 27rai with cassava 1st june last year.Luckilly we got rain the next day after 2 weeks of drought.

We spaced at 80cmsX120cms to allow kubota to go between the rows. Lnd was ploughed twice then ridged .Stems were 10cms planted 10cms deep.we had a small problems getting stems and ended up using two varieties : gan deang(kasertsart)? and huay bong.

First fertilizer application was after 30 days 15-7-18 @ 50kgs/rai.weeding was carried out by hand and kubota as required .second application of fertilizer at 3 months 0-10-30 @50kgs/rai.

In january we were back and my wife dug up plants at various points on the land . the weight of tubers was averaging 5kgs per plant.Maximum, was 7kgs and minimum 3kgs.

It was obvious that the best plants were the gan deang variety.

Some plants have growns over 2 meters high while some are less.,the advisor at TTDI said this was due to different variations in the soil in different parts of the land.

We were also advised to"go fo killo,not starch"

We plan to harvest in november ,which will be 18 months after planting.

I am concerned about the factory pricing system .It seems that the govt ,subsidy price can be got by making a contract with the factory.it is 2baht per killo in sikhiu.

BUT they will only take from each supplier ONE lorry load per day,and you cant send another load until your first has been tipped and that could be in two or three days after queing.Maximum of 170 tonnes per supplier.

However if you accept a non-contact factory price of 1.45 baht per killo ,then you can send in as much as you like ,when you like ,and no queing!!!

My thanks for all the advice i have taken on board from khonwan and the rest of the posters here .ill keep posting as i get more info

Hi ,as an update the big factory near us in sikhiu is owned by Corn Products International.im told today that the max .non-quota price is 1.30 baht/kg.

There is another problem in that someof the truckloads supplying for quota price are queueing so long ,that the cassava becomes unuseable and wont be accepted by the factory!!!!

Makes me wonder if these trucks ae farm owned or from a haulage company? ok, parked up for a day or so waiting to tip, youve not turning a wheel or using diesel, also, youve not earning, firms in the UK were soon black-listed for poor turn round times.

Meanwhile, here in Namsom, 15/20 8wheelers with 6wheel trailers or 6wheelers with 4 wheel trailers go past our house everyday,fully freighted with cassava, they come back empty in about 20 mins, there are 3 yards to tip here, and they are FULL, cassava as high as a 2 story house, the concrete pads are full of chips drying out,loads of little trucks too carting to the yards, in the evening, 10 or so big rigs come past carting the chips tothe local factory, I went past the yards today, no trucks waiting, but there was a big sign, 96 satang a kilo, take it or leave it!

The farmer suffers again!

• 2 weeks later...

Regards to you Khonwan , very informative reading.

I have som questions to you. what do you think or know about insert the fertilizer during the preparation of the soil so its already there before planting the stems

The difference between "15-15-15" and "15-7-18" fertilizer. And current price.

We shall plant about 50 rai in Petchabun. Last crop was corn. Have been recomended to use 100kgs/3rai with "15-15-15" the first time. But it seems to me like alot.

regards Mikki