Giving Birth At Bnh Hospital

emma08

I'm expected to have a baby in a few months and I'm considering having it at BNH because of the short distance to my place. I haven't heard any comments about this hospital, and I'm specially concerned about giving natural birth, and a good OB GYN.

Thanks!

My youngest daughter was born there about 25 years ago when it consisted of a few wooden buildings and was still called Bangkok Nursing Home. She's just received a PhD in architecture back in the U.S. so I guess they did a good job.

A natural birth at BNH??? Hahahaha. Ok, now let me get back in my chair that I just fell out of.

1) Their C-section rate it 90% last I checked.

2) They just stated that vaginal births are dangerous and to not promote them in their childbirth classes.

If you want a natural birth - Run away. Fast.

A natural birth at BNH??? Hahahaha. Ok, now let me get back in my chair that I just fell out of.

2) They just stated that vaginal births are dangerous and to not promote them in their childbirth classes.

If you want a natural birth - Run away. Fast.

C sections are common in Thailand for 2 reasons. First is that the mother can be told what's the best day for the baby to be born on. Secondly the doctors are private and they can deliver by appointment instead of waiting around for hours. It good for the hospital and good for the doctor. As for the baby that's open to debate.

my baby was born there last month, C Section as well, but I am a big lad and my wife is Thai so what do you expect. its the best hospital in Thailand as far as I am concernd. they did a great job.

if you want natural birth, tell the doctor, because thats what yo will get. all you got to do is ask. your paying.

also by the way. good luck, I hope it all goes well whichever way you have the baby.

Edited by onnut

We go to BNH for all our medicals because it's close to home but haven't given birth there. I wonder if the Thai tendency to follow 100% the doctor's advice contributes to the high C-section rate at most hospitals? I'm constantly astounded at how my Thai partner will blindly accept anything a doctor/nurse/orderly/hospital receptionist says to him. Two western colleagues and their spouses had babies at BNH recently and both were natural births. Maybe articulating your birth plan ideas to the doctor might be a good place to start. Then see what response you get and move hospitals if you have to. Have you been to St Louis, also in Sathorn? That is also a nice private hospital albeit bigger than BNH.

Hi Emma

My Thai wife gave birth (natural labour) at BNH to our second boy about a week ago on 20th May. She also gave birth to our first boy in '06 with the same doctor in the same hospital. Both deliveries were done by Dr Yuen Tannirandorn, he was very very good, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending him at all, he is held in very high regard. He was supportive of our choice to try and deliver naturally. For the last baby last week my wife went into labour at 19:30, and he came in to check up on her, it was a long labour and he slept at the hospital and woke up at 05:20 to deliver. He was fantastic, so dedicated. For the pre-care he even gave us the option of purchasing vitamins outside of the hospital as it's cheaper.

He works at BNH, Bumrungrad and Chula from memory and we could choose which place we preferred, the BNH package was half price compared to Bumrungrad so went there. The nursing staff at BNH were top notch too. The facilities and room were excellent, we have some friends who were going to deliver at Bumrungrad but decided to change to BNH when they came to visit and saw the suite, which was a lot nicer than Bumrungrad. The staff were very friendly and helpful and even let us stay in the room on the last day for free, we were supposed to vacate at 0830 but finally left around 1700.

Price was extremely good too. Our first baby in '04 was 62,000b, it would have been half that except he was born 5 weeks premature and needed special medical assistance. Our second baby just born last week was 34,000b (+25,000 stem cell fee). This included everything, but not pre or post care.

We have been to other hospitals in Bangkok and can honestly say BNH is the best there is.

Good luck!

Matt

My friend delivered naturally a 3.6 kilo baby at BNH last month. she is not Thai.

+25,000 stem cell fee

Pardon my ignorance, while I know what are stem cells, I wonder what exactly have you paid for?

Hi kannon

I'm interested in these statistics and statements from BNH. Can you provide a link?

Cheers,

hi

hope this helps. i delivered more than a year ago at bnh, and did not feel good about it as i also went through a c-section. generally, i feel that the doc i dealt with was not pro-natural despite me stating strong opinions about it. finally the babe was about 3.8kg and i had to deliver by c-section. perhaps it was a situation where they did the necessary but i just felt they were too swayed and too pro c-section. for me, i wont return to bnh if i had a second baby. i'm sure there are lotsa cases where they delivered babies naturally so mine could be an isolated case. everything else, service etc, was good but if you are very pro-natural and cannot agree with doc on this, perhaps you need to reconsider a different doc or hospital. since i had a first hand experience, tot i share this with u n hope it gives you a perspective on this. :o

Hi kannon

I'm interested in these statistics and statements from BNH. Can you provide a link?

Cheers,

There are no links because they will not openly admit it. The World Health Organization says that C-section rates should be around 15%. Obviously they do not want women to know that they are nowhere near that standard. Because they would not give the C-section rate, another doula and I asked their labor and delivery staff. Not for the number, but by asking "how many births were in the birth unit last month?" "How many of those births were by C-section?" We did the math and it was 89% one month and 92% another month.

As for stating vaginal birth as dangerous, that comes directly from the woman who has been teaching childbirth classes. She was told that she should not be giving so much information on vaginal births since it's the more dangerous way to give birth. Shocking considering that all of the evidence/researched based information clearly does not show this.

Yes, the c-section rates are high due to mother preference, but the rates would still be low if women were not forced/persuaded into unnecessary ones for a variety of reasons. C-sections are great for specific circumstances, but not most. And of course as we all know, doctors make way more $$$ from doing surgery.

I'm expected to have a baby in a few months and I'm considering having it at BNH because of the short distance to my place. I haven't heard any comments about this hospital, and I'm specially concerned about giving natural birth, and a good OB GYN.

Thanks!

Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom is definitely worth a look. Easily equals BNH facilities but without the "Frills"

I'm with Pushit.

I basically live next door to BNH and have used it twice, once for amnio and once for an accident a scooter driver had with me resulting in me being checked into ICU. Both times I was underwhelmed by their service. In ICU I was bitten by mosquitoes overnight, and the general confusion at the end of my stay with regards to whether I had paid or not (I had but they hadn't seen the nurse / accountant come in (!) and get my signature on my credit card...), their losing my shoes and general lack of English ability resulted in a poor review.

After my amnio, despite dr's suggestions that I remain seated in the reception area of the ob/gyn area for at least 30mins, I was unceremoniously bundled out of the ob/gyn area to pay for my bill after 5 minutes. The nursing staff though I was someone else (I'm a 36 year old female caucasian, the other woman was a 22 year old Indian transgender female). Being somewhat unsteady on my feet, and really quite emotional after the amnio I ended up in tears. Whilst apologetic when my husband came back from the bathroom he was furious, as was the dr.

Considering their charges for their 'service' I would not recommend them. I now go to Bangkok Christian Hospital, as do my son and my husband and have consistently received excellent service, and great doctors. Others in our area either go to Bangkok Christian or St Louis. No one that I know of in our general area seem to attend BNH despite it being next door.

Just my experience..