Choosing Between Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Et Al.

triffid

Browsing a thread under a search for koh samet and koh chang has left me confused between the 'koh changs' and the sharply conflicting opinions on them/it.

I'm planning a few days off somewhere on the east coast. Am looking for something not tacky and as uncrowded & untouristy as possible; with decent if simple seafood and comfortable accommodation (fan is tolerable – if with mosquito net). Would be nice to have something within sight/earshot of the beach/sea. All this under 800 bht would be great, but will pay more if worth it.

Koh Chang, Koh Samet, or another island or seaside place. Would also appreciate a tel no for booking/inquiry. I want to book in the next couple of days – unless there really is no need at this time of the year for a particular place.

Many thanks.

Browsing a thread under a search for koh samet and koh chang has left me confused between the 'koh changs' and the sharply conflicting opinions on them/it.

I'm planning a few days off somewhere on the east coast. Am looking for something not tacky and as uncrowded & untouristy as possible; with decent if simple seafood and comfortable accommodation (fan is tolerable – if with mosquito net). Would be nice to have something within sight/earshot of the beach/sea. All this under 800 bht would be great, but will pay more if worth it.

Koh Chang, Koh Samet, or another island or seaside place. Would also appreciate a tel no for booking/inquiry. I want to book in the next couple of days – unless there really is no need at this time of the year for a particular place.

Many thanks.

I stayed on ko samet in december 2004 during the tsunami! A very quiet and wonderful place. We stayed on the southeast side . Darned if I can point out the exact beach, but not up northeast part which is busier. Took a minivan from pattaya and then a ferry to the island. Easy to book from pattaya at any of the hundreds of travel agents. We used a lady that just had a desk and table outside a bar on second road. Worked out fine.

My friend says koh samui definitely had some more night life. The beach we were on in ko samet had 6 hotels along the stretch and each night they each put out a pick your own food buffet and grilled everything up fresh. Beautiful and peaceful sitting out under the stars right on the beach. water is great, boat snorkel tours easy to arrange. Bungalows were very nice but more than 800 baht, but there was a range of accomodations.

stayed at koh samet in 1984 when it seemed like tropical paradise and cheap as chips......then again earlier this year when it seemed to me a "funnell" for tourists,overpriced accomodation all over the Island with limited restaurant/eating places, builders rubble scatterred all over the Island,litter,thinning folage and a place that I just wanted to get out of as quick as I could....I'd left smelly Pattaya thinking of relaxation by the sea,....500 baht per night in Pattaya in brand new aircon spacious hotel room in Pattaya to a urine smelly mosquito ridden unhygienic bungalow on Koh Samet for 600 Baht !(cheapest I could find).....I eventually found the most relaxing place to be was in the heart of Bangkok.....things have changed!..yes I did see some very nice bungalow/chalets but when told 2/3000 per night I was shocked,..never paid that sort of price in my life in Thailand neither in UK as it happens....

Edited by dee123