Meet A Foreigner

amphur

off topic and inflammatory posts have been removed. This topic is NOT about the US, the UK, Europe etc etc etc. but about Thailand. Lets keep it that way please.

In Aranyaprathet I always say hello to foreigners I see that don't fit the tourist profile hoping to meet someone that lives near me that speaks English and maybe likes golfing. Some respond with a friendly hello back others act as if they are running from the law. I met a nice American that way once but unfortunately he moved back to the USA. I will keep trying because one never knows when they will meet a golfing partner.

Hello Sakeopete, Aran is a friendly town. Lived there for 3 years prior to Chanthaburi and found the folks both Thai / and Farang open and honest.

I don't really say hello to people I don't know? O_o and I'm not that grumpy, but hey... alot of people in the street, would be very much work to hello all of them! :D ihihi, or I may just wave everyone while walking like a famous star? :o

ever seen a thai reacting to another strange thai in a strange land, germany for instance? They say hello and in no time there is a bond between them beyond any western understanding.

There are all kinds of reasons to think why it is like that, but the most important part is that there is something for us "falangs" to learn here (or maybe I should say to "relearn").

:o

I live in Scotland with my Thai wife and she very rarely talks to other Thai ladies first, usualy I say hello to them first then they start talking to my wife, I asked her why and she said that she is shy, fair enough I said and left it.

It's not always about bad manners.

But when I'm visiting the wifes family and we are in town (Not that big) I always say hello to people who make eye contact with me, I find the Thais appreciate it more when I try out my Thai and make an arse of myself, such is life.

Edited by Brigante7

I walk anywhere in Thailand and meet a foreigner.

Why do they (almost all) acknowledge their presence?

I mean they say hello while I really do not know this person.

When I am in Europe/America I never meet people saying hello to strangers.

Why do they do that?

Just respond with a "hello where you come from?"

:o

This topic received already one star so it was worth starting it.

Thanks everybody who replied sofar.

I will not stop saying hello to every foreigner I meet...

...although only when I am in Thailand. :o

Why do they do that?

Just respond with a "hello where you come from?"

and add "sexy man" at the end.

I don't find such freindliness with foreigners where I live in Khon Kaen. Maybe 10-20% will say hello in just passing situations. I find many of them rather cold and indifferent. The local Thais are much more freindly.

Why do they do that?

Is this you?

post-40525-1211977440_thumb.jpg

If I make eye contact with anybody I always smile. Sometimes I say hello. The Thais always smile back, but quite frequently other westerners just ignore the gesture. I even had one guy a few, a few months back, respond to my smile by going 'tut' and turning to his girlfriend and saying 'falang'.

I recently moved to a city after spending five years in a very rural area with only two other westerners in a 20km radius. I would bump into one of these guys, and old fella, very frequently in the local market and for five years he ignored me. It was quite funny because all the Thais could see what was going on and thought it really strange.

I have become used to this type of behviour and accept it as something that comes with Thailand.

I think the OP will fit in nicely among the ex-pat 'community'.

Edited by garro