Vehicle Title / Joint Ownership?

Can a car or motorbike be titled in two names in Thailand?

I am thinking of buying a motorbike for my girlfriend and her daughter to use. Ideally I'd like to title it in my name and my girlfriend's, to retain a little control over it in case there were some later family pressures put on her. I was trying to find out about this at a dealership, but wasn't communicating very well with them. Can this be done in Thailand, or is it one name only?

I currently have just a tourist visa, so I may need to have a close farang friend that is retired and living permanently in Thailand stand in for me (as a name on the title) and represent my interests on the title.

Anyone approached this situation before?

I doubt the powers (?) that be in the relavent transport office would allow this.

From a practical point of view what happens when the two parties argue ownership or if one party dies?

Better to put such property in your sole name and set up a will to pass the title on correctly in the event of your death.

You could create a company entity to hold the property (cars etc.) however this would require higher taxes to be paid, a mate of mine looked at this type of setup about 5 years ago. He put cars in his name as it was easier.

I doubt the powers (?) that be in the relavent transport office would allow this.

From a practical point of view what happens when the two parties argue ownership or if one party dies?

Better to put such property in your sole name and set up a will to pass the title on correctly in the event of your death.

You could create a company entity to hold the property (cars etc.) however this would require higher taxes to be paid, a mate of mine looked at this type of setup about 5 years ago. He put cars in his name as it was easier.

Be careful about setting up wills in Thailand... Especially if you live in a condo on a high floor :o